Poll: What was the most embarrassing loss this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alaskazagnut

Poll: What was the most embarrassing loss this year?

1. USF: A close, gutsy loss to totally inferior opponent on national TV.
    2. Duke: A lazy "aberration" of a blowout on National TV.
    3. Wake Forest: A rare loss at home with "shot to the throat" on national TV.

Each loss was categorically a different type of loss IMO. Each was embarrassing for our program for different reasons.

Please vote and then reply with WHY you chose what you did.
    San Francisco
    37.65%
    Duke
    61.18%
    Wake Forest
    1.18%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2010, 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling and bold
  • alaskazagnut

Why Duke for me?

Because it looked like we did not even show up. We kept it close for the first 10 minutes but then we were just flat, both offensively and defensively. Its like we decided that it was an aberration before the game ended and we gave up. We went through the motions, we ran, shot, defended etc etc. The players' eyes and expressions were "deer in the headlights". The body language of the coach and staff was of stunned shock. A couple of times the camera showed Few just sitting on the Bench with a stunned blank expression, and we still had 15 minutes to play. We are good enough to have beat Duke. But there was no fire or passion for the entire 40 minutes. The bench was quiet, withdrawn and scared most the time. At least on camera. And to top it off, we had fans there too!! We let Dick Vitale put another ACC feather in his cap.

The first 10 minutes there was a big fire under our arses. But once we got behind, there was very little fire. Just a couple lit matches and then a big Dookie wind blew us away.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2010, 01:33 AM. Reason: duke

Comment

• MJ777
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2009

1 Duke, 2 Puke (SF) and 3 Fluke (WF)

Comment

• JAGzag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

I'm surprised by the answers. We've never played Duke well, let alone in the Garden (from what I can remember), which, is essentially a home game for them. The loss to a team like USF, in a gym that was 30% GU fans, is a "bad loss" come March.

Comment

• 1973Zag
          Kennel Club
          • Feb 2007

Since USF beat us, then it is obvious why we could lose to Duke or WF. USF isn't evan a WCC power,Duke and WF are very good teams. If UW(chickens), or the Gaels had lost this one, I can only imagine the comments. We stunk, it's time for a gut check--not excuses.

Comment

• NovaZag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Nov 2009

A couple years from now, some college basketball fans may recall that GU lost some conference game in 2010, but everyone who follows college basketball will remember the Duke game. Not only was it on CBS for everyone to see, but they made us look like a high school team.

Comment

• Zag79
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

give me a blowout to a top 10 duke team, in msg, after finals ANY day over an in conference loss that snaps our 22 game winning streak to a team worse than portland st was last year. that was just disgusting.

Comment

• jim77
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by NovaZag View Post
                A couple years from now, some college basketball fans may recall that GU lost some conference game in 2010, but everyone who follows college basketball will remember the Duke game. Not only was it on CBS for everyone to see, but they made us look like a high school team.
                They may recall that game as the day the dynasty died.....the name on the front of the shirt doesn't win games....Heart does. Tightened it up Zags and keep the train rolling!

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Duke
                  A drubbing like that is something that doesn't happen every year for us, and did not with inferior GU teams than this.

Just imagine, if we had played them close. Our whole concept of the strength of this team, and the nation's image, would be different. Duke even held back and slowed down near the end. It felt like men against boys.

Comment

• webspinnre
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Duke, and to me its not even close. Losing a close game on the road in OT just isn't THAT embarassing, even if it is to a team that isn't as good. Getting blown-out on national TV is just embarassing, no matter how you slice it.
                    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Duke by far.

Comment

• surfmonkey89
                        Not Roy Orbison
                        • Feb 2007

I can't believe anyone would for anything other than Duke.

Huge game, national stage, and we floated an air biscuit.

People need to not take conference losses to so hard. It's really hard to constantly beat teams you play twice a year, every year. We should appreciate what we've got.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

dook

dook by far...that performance set the program back in many ways....sure the team rebounded well vs OK and IL and SMC, but their Dook perf is the one bracketologists will remember......

Comment

Working...
                          X