PDA

View Full Version : The China Syndrome...The Pepsi Syndrome...

Angelo Roncalli
04-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Now...The Gonzaga Syndrome:

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2007/04/26/sports/college/basketball/doc463030e7668d9742283472.txt

roxdoc
04-26-2007, 06:25 AM
LOL What next........cult status?

23dpg
04-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I think that the article is, unfortunately, correct. We, as Zag fans have been treated to an incredible decade. It is not resonable to assume that this rise to power can be duplicated by other smaller programs. There are a lot of really good coaches out there that are facing undo pressure from over-zealous fan bases.

BTW, love the SNL reference.

CDC84
04-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Gonzaga’s success was the result of unique circumstances. The Pacific Northwest has a fraction of the Division I schools located in other regions but no shortage of talent. In recruiting outside of that region, Gonzaga aggressively traded on the brand name engendered by tournament success.

There is so much truth to this statement, and yet so many just don't get it.

What amazes me about Southern Illinois' success is how they have been able to have so much consistency despite the fact that they are basically getting kids that Big 10 schools bypass. Not in every instance, but in most instances. The school's location totally works against them from a recruiting perspective. Gonzaga was been able rely on its remoteness to sweep up a ton of high level local talent, and then use the success of those players to take the program to a national level.

Zag365
04-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Good reminder that special players (identified many times on this board) and special coaches (Fitz, Monson, Few, et al.) just happened to coalesce at the right place (GU) at the right time. It will be extremely hard for any other college to duplicate over a sustained period of time. Call it Zag-exceptionalism. If you are a pre-1995 alum (and I'm a pre-pre-1995 alum), the basketball program has so greatly exceeded our win/loss expectations it is has plenty of room for ups/downs in that department before we would ever complain. What has endeared the program to us and has created our national reputation is the way we got there -- our character. That is the Zag definition of "special." As long as we have that, everything else is just details.