PDA

View Full Version : Kris Santiago on Elias Harris draft dilamma

uhg80
01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Hey guys.

Found this blog entry by Kris Santiago - one of the better known names in the european basketball blogosphere - on talkbasket.net.

While most of it is a short summary of the things that happened around Elias in the past few months ans some qoutes by Dirk Bauermann that we've already read, Kris points out to a dilamma Harris might be in if he'll declare for this year's draft.

Key passage:

With so much praise, the outlook for the 20 year-old wing is looking bright, but could also leads to some problems for the German national-team if Harris decides to put his name into the upcoming draft.
Usually, players who are getting drafted in the first round tend to work out with the team over the summer and play in the "NBA Summer League" instead of preparing with their country's national-teams. The summer league will be probably in late July while the World Championships are going down in late August. This could mean for Bauermann that he won't be able to count on Harris in most of the team's preparations. Bauermann already gave Harris the advice to stay another year in college basketball to work on his shooting but this could appear risky for Harris' chances to make it to the NBA as the current hype surrounding him could be gone as early as next winter if he can't live up to the higher expectations by then. An early departure would make his dream to play in the NBA come true but Bauermann has doubts about it as this might comes too early for Harris and which may result in a short NBA-career for the current power forward who has to switch to small forward if he makes it to the NBA.

Germany's national team with Nowitzki, Kaman and Harris along with upcoming players as Schaffartzik and Benzing should be considered when talking about the quarters and semis in Turkey. Still, it will be a rocky road for the DBB to get Nowitzki, Kaman and (with all that problems that could be appearing) Harris to play together on one team this summer. Time will tell, and if I would be Harris, I would definitely put my name into this year's draft to use the momentum.

Full article (http://www.talkbasket.net/blogs/germanys-harris-a-hot-commodity-these-days-2897.html).

B-hamZag
01-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I see harris only improving every year just like Bouldin has done, I hoep he does stay and dominate the nation next year. He will only get better!!

adoptedzag
01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I see harris only improving every year just like Bouldin has done, I hoep he does stay and dominate the nation next year. He will only get better!!

True, but if he stays another year, the best his stock could do is stay about the same, maybe improve a bit, plus he'll be one year older, and won't have the awe-factor working in his favor, as juniors coming out will be the same age. At some point he's going to reach the tipping point for diminishing returns in college and need to move up a level. Scouts in the NBA don't care what "class" you are (aside from being 1 year removed from HS), only your age, and Elias is coming in already at 20.

Timeout!
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I want him to stay another year---for purely selfish reasons.

While I think Elias WILL stay at least one more year, I think he should make the jump to the League while the iron is hot. By next season, his stock may suffer due to paralysis by analysis. All eyes will be on him and expectations for our team will be at an all-time high. I don't think Elias will surprise anyone and unable to maintain the same "luster" he has going for him this year. Harris has so much hype surrounding him and receiving much of the credit for our continued success in a season that was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year. I hate to say it, but Elias should declare and guarantee himself a high 1st-Round pick, esp if we make it to S16 or beyond...

titopoet
01-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Unfortunately, most NBA people tear down rather than build up prospects the more they see them. Maybe if the pros what him to play the 3, next year start Kelly at the 4 and play Harris at the 3 that way he can work on what they what him to and he can bring home the National Championship.

ZagNative
01-29-2010, 09:49 AM
The date to declare for early entry for the 2010 draft is April 28, and the deadline for withdrawal to be eligible to return to college is May 8. Do we agree that Elias is virtually certain to declare and have that brief window of time to find out if he receives the same types of assurances that Austin Daye did, that he'll be taken no lower than 15-19?

HillBillyZag
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
We have to quit lying to ourselves about our use of the term "Student Athlete". In some cases, despite having great ability on the basketball court,many kids have neither the desire,academics, or money to attend College and/or rightfully or wrongfully feel their talent on the court will provide them a career & a living. Even if the kids decide they like School and would stay the four years and graduate, their financial situations are such that even with a full scholarship, they canot afford decent clothing, transportation,food and other essentials that many of their peers take for granted and enjoy. To make the dream of playing Collegiate basketball (or perhaps other sports) accessable and fair to all, I suggest that Athletic Scholarships be broken into two catagories; Professional Sports Preparation Scholarships, (PSPS's); Any Division 1 NCAA basketball playing school (385 Schools last count?) would be awarded two (2) of these per season. They would be for two years, paid for by the NBA. These young men & women would carry only a minimum number of hours and would consist of basic english, math, economics,and social skills, ie.. money management, values,etc. They would recieve a reasonable salary, hopefully enough for meals, clothing, laundry, reasonable entertainment & transportation costs. They would be expected to adhere to the same standards of behavior applied to any ordinary stuent, athlete or not. Next we would have the ordinary Prospective Student Athlete Scholarship (PSAS) Each Div1 School could award a maximum of eight (8) of these. These kids would be expected to be true student athletes, expected to remain eligible academically and otherwise and remain commited to the Institution issuing the scholarship for four full academic years. The remaining roster spots would be filled by walk-ons,filled by competition among the student body, judged by the University Coaching staff. With a system similar to this , the BCS's, Big State U's, and Power Conference Schools would in theory have no advantage over Mid-Majors & other Schools. Kids who attended school on the NBA, played, kept their part of the bargain, and did not sign a Professional contract at the end of the two years would be awarded a Developmetal League Contract or a negotiable lump sum settlement by the NBA at their College Grant's expiration. With this system a whole lot of double dealing and cheating would be eliminated and the overall competion level in Div1 hoops would take a major swing upward. I know this is long read, but what do you think? To me it makes sense and is fair to all parties.

CDC84
01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
The date to declare for early entry for the 2010 draft is April 28, and the deadline for withdrawal to be eligible to return to college is May 8. Do we agree that Elias is virtually certain to declare and have that brief window of time to find out if he receives the same types of assurances that Austin Daye did, that he'll be taken no lower than 15-19?

That brief window is most likely going to lead to a lot of bad decisions. The new draft deadline is the stupidest thing college basketball has adopted in the last 10 years. Just what we need - a bunch of kids making the absolute most important decision of their life right around finals. Unless you're John Wall, those kids who don't know whether or not to come out have to keep on top of their studies in case they decide to come back to school. Imagine a kid who's a straight A student who really cares about academics....should he be forced to make a life altering decision like this during finals? It's absurd.

theothegreat21
01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
We have to quit lying to ourselves about our use of the term "Student Athlete". In some cases, despite having great ability on the basketball court,many kids have neither the desire,academics, or money to attend College and/or rightfully or wrongfully feel their talent on the court will provide them a career & a living. Even if the kids decide they like School and would stay the four years and graduate, their financial situations are such that even with a full scholarship, they canot afford decent clothing, transportation,food and other essentials that many of their peers take for granted and enjoy. To make the dream of playing Collegiate basketball (or perhaps other sports) accessable and fair to all, I suggest that Athletic Scholarships be broken into two catagories; Professional Sports Preparation Scholarships, (PSPS's); Any Division 1 NCAA basketball playing school (385 Schools last count?) would be awarded two (2) of these per season. They would be for two years, paid for by the NBA. These young men & women would carry only a minimum number of hours and would consist of basic english, math, economics,and social skills, ie.. money management, values,etc. They would recieve a reasonable salary, hopefully enough for meals, clothing, laundry, reasonable entertainment & transportation costs. They would be expected to adhere to the same standards of behavior applied to any ordinary stuent, athlete or not. Next we would have the ordinary Prospective Student Athlete Scholarship (PSAS) Each Div1 School could award a maximum of eight (8) of these. These kids would be expected to be true student athletes, expected to remain eligible academically and otherwise and remain commited to the Institution issuing the scholarship for four full academic years. The remaining roster spots would be filled by walk-ons,filled by competition among the student body, judged by the University Coaching staff. With a system similar to this , the BCS's, Big State U's, and Power Conference Schools would in theory have no advantage over Mid-Majors & other Schools. Kids who attended school on the NBA, played, kept their part of the bargain, and did not sign a Professional contract at the end of the two years would be awarded a Developmetal League Contract or a negotiable lump sum settlement by the NBA at their College Grant's expiration. With this system a whole lot of double dealing and cheating would be eliminated and the overall competion level in Div1 hoops would take a major swing upward. I know this is long read, but what do you think? To me it makes sense and is fair to all parties.

Seriously?

UberZagFan
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I want him to stay another year---for purely selfish reasons.

Uber agrees with this part. If the time to declare is so far off (and after the season is over, mind you), do we have to keep reading about how Harris should leave? Arrrrggghh. Uber's hates hearing that. Uber wants to see a sophomore year out of Harris.

And HillBilly, uh that has some intriguing possibilities but no way will the NBA ever ever do that. Why would they pay for school for about 700 students per year when only about 20-30 of them will ever play in the league?

HillBillyZag
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
In other words, Collegiate basketball & football, at least, have become nothing more than a developmental system for the NBA & NFL, and if a kid does not have a skill set that transfers well into the Professional system, and wants to play Collegiate athletics?, they might as well go to Div.II or III Schools where less/no full rides are offered, and be happy to play for just love of the game & a good education? I hate to feel that way, but at times, I do. And last but not least?, othergreat21, you seem to either disagree or ridicule nearly every post or comment that I make? Am I so old, naive, and/or different that we agree on nothing? While I'm far from wealthy, most of my opinions do reflect my view that money is not the most important thing in life and that there is an absolute right & wrong on most subjects. I guess thats not popular in todays world?