• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timeout!
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2009

SCU fan: "The Zag Mentality"?

A Santa Clara fan posted this comment prior to our game and stated they believed SCU would have chance to win if our team displayed the typical "Zag Mentality" when they face teams with lesser talent. I didn't necessarily find it accurate, yet it was intriguing to read the viewpoint of an opposing fan since the first 35 mins of last night's contest seemed like what was described below:

Hopefully the Zags will perform in their usual all-star singular manner... once they get a decent lead, or the feeling that they've got the game in the bag, it seems a prevailing issue with the Zags of the past few years that they each individually want to put on a show and fill the stat sheets with their personal #'s (which could be a good thing for us. Zags often remind me of an all-star team (a little more unified as a team than a typical all-star team, but they each seem to be advertising for possible scouts, espically when they feel the game is in the bag). All that being said, they do truly have an all-star team and are more than capable of beating every NCAA team. Hopefully they'll walk into Leavy thinking that the game is already over and filled with the notion that they can turn it on whenever the need to. The home crowd should help... would love to see a spirited performance reminicent of the UNLV game from the Broncos....
    Thoughts?
  • U Zig, I Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Timeout! View Post
    A Santa Clara fan posted this comment prior to our game and stated they believed SCU would have chance to win if our team displayed the typical "Zag Mentality" when they face teams with lesser talent. I didn't necessarily find it accurate, yet it was intriguing to read the viewpoint of an opposing fan since the first 35 mins of last night's contest seemed like what was described below:

Thoughts?
    I don't think it is accurate. Maybe last years team when we had all upperclassmen. These new kids don't know that they are suppose to roll SCU, SFU, et al. Half the time (other than Elias) the frosh look like they walked into the wrong game.

I would ask SCU-Superfan: Who came together last night? Which team had back door plays and designed offensive and defense sets? SCU stayed in that game with momentum... if they needed a basket they couldn't even get one.

On the other hand, All-Star players are just better than everyone else... maybe that's all it was...

Comment

• sdzag
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Feb 2007

What a perfect quote. That was exactly the mentality at last nights game. It was my first time watching the Zags live last night and the Zags did exactly what that Rough Rider said. They came in flat and not aggressive. The early turnovers were on account of passive play. Their doubles on the wing were brilliant and as DenDiego pointed out SCU watch the Duke game. Now a simple backdoor cut broke it down but we didn't seem to do that enough. Every player seemed to be a bit to unselfish when he needed to be selfish and selfish when then needed to make the extra pass in the first 30 minutes.

Great Quote! And the Riders were rockin last night.
      SDZag does not represent the opinions of San Diego just the San Diegians on the Foo!

Comment

• Timeout!
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by sdzag View Post
        The early turnovers were on account of passive play. Their doubles on the wing were brilliant and as DenDiego pointed out SCU watch the Duke game. Now a simple backdoor cut broke it down but we didn't seem to do that enough. Every player seemed to be a bit to unselfish when he needed to be selfish and selfish when then needed to make the extra pass in the first 30 minutes.
        I like this entire quote even better, especially the Duke defense comment. I noticed immediately they were defending us just like Duke did. Double the wings, pressure defense along the perimeter, hammer our cutters, and don't be afraid to foul us--and foul hard, etc. Their defensive gameplan and intensity was second to none. It seems like teams like SCU & Duke are the only teams who have figured out how to defend or even beat us. Most teams in WCC just try and beat us at our own game and it rarely works. I was impressed by SCU and this game makes me nervous b/c I know SMC and Memphis are watching, yet Memphis has the depth/athletes to keep going. It will be interesting to see how we counter the doubles on the wings and the physical(almost dirty) defense going forward. Teams have taken notice and we'll be seeing it now and definitely in the NCAA's.

Anyway, the only reason we won last night was they tired out due to lack of depth and we finally stepped up our effort on the defensive side.

Comment

• cjm720
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

The post is not an accurate assessment for this year's team. Last year, perhaps. We do have the tendency to play down to the level of our opponent, but that's now how the post was stated.
          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• zag944
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
            The post is not an accurate assessment for this year's team. Last year, perhaps. We do have the tendency to play down to the level of our opponent, but that's now how the post was stated.
            agreed. he basically calls us showboating stat hogs.

Comment

• Zagsker
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Timeout! View Post

Anyway, the only reason we won last night was they tired out due to lack of depth and we finally stepped up our effort on the defensive side.
              So, basically we won because we were the better team
              I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

I've never seen a GU team that puts personal glory ahead to winning - maybe individual players at times - but never an entire team.

Begin rant:

That includes last years team - whom this criticism has been leveled at in some quarters (in other threads as well). It's like beating a dead horse, but last years team had the 5th most efficient offense overall and the 18th best defense - and you don't get that good of a defense without excellent teamwork and communication.

Maybe this year's team is less likely to get derailed mentally than last years - I'll agree with that. But last year's squad was ridiculous good - even without a true center for most of the year.

It's a little disturbing seeing the best team, top to bottom, that GU's ever put on the court (by the numbers - and by the eye-test to me) get slagged repeatedly - and as far as I can tell, for nothing relating to their aggregate on-court play.

End rant.
                History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• PSC13
                  Redshirt
                  • Feb 2009

I do not believe GU walks on the court already thinking they have won, but playing with a little more swagger would not hurt. If you look at the two teams that played last night Gonzaga has the better player at EVERY SINGLE POSITION, I don't think a single Santa Clara player would start on the GU team and that includes PG. Gonzaga needs to play the WCC schedule like the Big Dog that it is, and not squeaking out 2nd half comebacks over inferior talent. I give a lot of credit to SCU for not bowing down to gonzaga and putting forth a much better effort than vegas predicted.

Does anyone think Pepperdine, Portland, or SCU would be within 10 points of Mich ST ot any other team in the top 15 of the AP? I doubt it.

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

+1.
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Zagnailler
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Children

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                      I've never seen a GU team that puts personal glory ahead to winning - maybe individual players at times - but never an entire team.

Begin rant:

That includes last years team - whom this criticism has been leveled at in some quarters (in other threads as well). It's like beating a dead horse, but last years team had the 5th most efficient offense overall and the 18th best defense - and you don't get that good of a defense without excellent teamwork and communication.

Maybe this year's team is less likely to get derailed mentally than last years - I'll agree with that. But last year's squad was ridiculous good - even without a true center for most of the year.

It's a little disturbing seeing the best team, top to bottom, that GU's ever put on the court (by the numbers - and by the eye-test to me) get slagged repeatedly - and as far as I can tell, for nothing relating to their aggregate on-court play.

End rant.
                      This years team is like a talented younger child, and last years team was like a talented second son, You love them both but they pull you in in different ways.
                      "If you smell something, say something." Jon Stewart

Comment

Working...
                      X