PDA

View Full Version : Ira Brown's dad, I thought you might like to know

mynewid3
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I am Ira Brown's dad and thought you might like to know a little bit about him. He is 6' 4" and weighs 235 lbs.. He has 7% body fat and when he was working out with the Royals he was bench pressing 350 lbs., when they made him stop. His favorite dunk is to shove his arm into the basket, elbow-deep and hold on. I have seen him dunk in high school taking off from the free throw line. Even though he is only 6'4" he plays more like someone 6'8" or 6'9" because his arms and fingers are so long. (I have larger than average hands and his fingers are almost two inches longer than mine.)
He has great leadership qualities. I would compare his work ethic with Gilbert Arenas and his juco team finished 4th in the nation last year and 6th in the nation this year in the national tournament they hold.
He averaged 17 points and 9 rebounds this year, despite sitting the bench when his team was way ahead and never having any plays run for him. In essence, all of his points were hustle points. Put backs on boards, fast break hustle, etc.
What makes his game so special are the little things he does. Last week they held an all-star game for the seniors that made all-american, or were invited. He was the only player setting picks, boxing out on offensive rebounds, diving on the floor for the ball. In my mind he is extremely special, but of course I am prejuidiced.

AllezZags
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
glad to have you in the extended Zag family. It's a nice bunch of folks around here for the most part.:)

hls97
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for posting! We are all excited to have Ira joining the Zags!

Gonzdb8
04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
welcome to the zag family ira's dad. i don't really post a lot but i've been around here for a few years and its always a treat to get that inside perspective. from what i have heard and seen of your sons game we're getting a special player.

roxdoc
04-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Welcome aboard! Wow - I am really looking forward to the extra excitement that your son is going to create next year on an already exciting team!

Darth Zag
04-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Welcome!

GonzagaLove
04-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the family!!!!

Bocco
04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
What makes his game so special are the little things he does. Last week they held an all-star game for the seniors that made all-american, or were invited. He was the only player setting picks, boxing out on offensive rebounds, diving on the floor for the ball. In my mind he is extremely special, but of course I am prejuidiced.
Ira Brown's Dad welcome I'm really looking forward to seeing your son do the "little things" in my book those are big things the difference between a winner and a looser. Your son sounds like a winner.

ZagNative
04-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Welcome, Dad!

Ira is obviously an impressive guy. It's great to have you share your perspective.

We're looking forward to some BIG FUN this fall. Especially those first few games are going to be like seeing a new package opened every day, as we meet these young men and see them in Zags uniforms.

I sure hope Ira will enjoy his time in Spokane and that you'll have opportunities to visit and enjoy some wild and crazy games in the (new) Kennel. The link in my signature offers a taste of what it's like in K2 before tip off.

Of course, if you stick around the board, you'll become quickly acclimated with the manic-depressive world of college basketball message boards, as we veer wildly between being madly in love after a triumph and scathingly unforgiving after a loss, lavishing over-the-top praise one week and ridiculous criticisms the next. I'm just saying ...

BobZag
04-25-2007, 04:38 PM
As much as anything, I'm looking forward to the toughness Ira will bring to this team. It will be most welcomed. It will be needed.

Thanks for stopping in, dad.

Nevtelen
04-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Welcome! As others have said, always great to get an inside perspective on things! Few of us have a clear idea of what exactly to expect out of Ira next year, but we're all excited about him contributing to the team! Those "little things" are what get big things done on the floor! And the dunks don't hurt either. :)

Zagdawg
04-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Welcome aboard!!!----

It is our pleasure to spend this special time with you and your son--

We all hope the athleticism and maturity that he brings to the court will fulfill one of the pieces we are missing in the quest to the national title (or at least a final 4 ...heck an elite 8 finish will be outstanding)--

With the schedule the Zags run every year-- your son will see the country and also obtain an outstanding education along the way.

Welcome once again.....

Go Zags--

former1dog
04-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Welcome Dad!

I'm glad you decided to post and speaking for myself, I'm excited to have your son on the team. I'm especially impressed that you point out the little things Ira does on the court. It shows me that you probably had a hand in raising Ira right and instilling in him what was important.

Word to the wise. If posting or reading this forum regularly, it is really important to have THICK SKIN. An awful lot of tough love goes on around here. The moderators try to keep it civil and respectful, but still some things slip by.

I hope that you participate and enjoy the board. This is a great environment over all. After all, Gonzaga is a special place with special people!

gonzagulous
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the post Dad Brown :D

I think I speak for every Zag fan out there when I say that we are all very excited to have your son joining the team. Can't wait to see him play!

Hey random Gaels fan: Um... Go away. Thanks.

tyra
04-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Welcome aboard, Dad Brown. There is much excitement in Zag land for Ira. So maybe you could help settle an ongoing dispute on this board as it relates to your son. There is a division of opinion as to whether he can play the 4 spot given his height. Half the board claims (mind you, none of us has ever actually seen him play) that HE CAN play the 4 because of his athleticism, wing span and leaping ability. That group often compares him to players like Charles Barkley (playing way over his height). The rest of the group maintains that 6'4'" is too short to play the 4 in D1 and is more naturally suited to the 3 spot or wing. For the record, I am in the former group but what do YOU think Dad? Can Ira help out inside (bang and rebound) or is he more naturally suited to stay at the 3 spot?

sittingon50
04-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Welcome Dad. Ira's work ethic & maturity will be a great help next year. And he will be an instant fan favorite the moment he dives on the floor for a loose ball.

MickMick
04-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow...Ira's dad. I guess another reminder to be respectful on these boards. You never know who is reading them.

Regardless....your insight now and in the future is welcome I'm sure.

GoZags
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Welcome. I was interested in this snippet:

"Last week they held an all-star game for the seniors that made all-american, or were invited. He was the only player setting picks, boxing out on offensive rebounds, diving on the floor for the ball. In my mind he is extremely special, but of course I am prejuidiced."

I had a conversation with David Pendergraft's dad shortly after the U.S. Olympic Festival in Colorado Springs (David (a high school Junior at the time) was on the West team, representing Washington State with Josh Heytvelt and Marvin Williams). There was a lot of running and gunning -- yet David brought his lunch bucket -- set picks, boxed out, dove for balls, etc.

I'm thrilled we'll be seeing Ira in a Zag uniform.

Again, glad to have you and your family here.

MBZags
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Why didn't you name your son Leroy?

Bad bad Leroy Brown...

GonzagaGurl08
04-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the board Ira's dad. I'm looking forward to seeing Ira play next year. From everything I have heard, he is a special guy, and what you said about him, just reiterates that point. I'm looking forward to watching him in action in the fall.

D Hark 2003
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey welcome to Gonzaga Ira's dad... I hope your son balls out for the zags... I have never seen him play, other than one dunk on youtube, do you happen to have a highlight video of your son, and if you do can you post a link to it on this forum.... If not its cool i will see Ira making some new highlight films next year in a GU uniform...

mynewid3
04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
This is a reply to Tyra's thread about Charles Barkley at the 4 spot. I actually believe a better example of a 6'4" power forward in the pros was Adrian Dantley out of Notre Dame. No one pushed him around and he was consistently all-pro. (Same height, weight and build.) If Ira ever reaches that calibre of a player, well it would be incredible. I do believe Ira has one physical trait that would help him should Coach Few decide to play him at that postition. He has a 48" vertical jump.
I am going to take one of the other bloggers point and probably not participate too much in any of these forums. Also to another blogger, I do not have any video links I can send you to to see Ira. I do want to say one more thing, it is a great honor for our family that the coaches at a school like Gonzaga would give our son such an opportunity. I believe, should this team stay healthy people will be scared to play them.

sonuvazag
04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
The idea of Ira's approach to the game being in the mold of Pendo is too exciting to wait for. See you all, I'm going to shoot some hoops at the gym to cure my blues.

Thanks Ira's dad. Love your post.

-Sonuva

SWZag
04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Another Welcome from the Zag 'family.' I believe Ira brings special aspects to a college basketball team that you don't see very often, in my opinion. Since being older, he has more experiences in life that many college students have yet to face. I believe he will be a great leader and example to the younger players. I think this alone, aside from all his talent, will be a big plus for this team, that has gone thru what it went thru this last year.

Can't wait to see him play in a GU Uniform. Some of my favorite Zags have been from the JUCO ranks; Q and Skinner to name a couple.

Again, Welcome.

SWZag