PDA

View Full Version : Katz article on scheduling: some Zag mentions

CDC84
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2848890

LynetteG
04-25-2007, 01:02 PM
good article! i say GU should take them on :)

lothar98zag
04-25-2007, 01:16 PM
...Southern Illinois is 127-38 the past five seasons, 75-15 in the Missouri Valley with a 5-6 NCAA Tournament record...

6 losses in 5 years? wow, impressive. ;)

ZigZagger
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
This article refers to Gonzaga's Nike deal and how it put us in equal terms with some of the national 'big boys' like UNC.

Can anyone provide some insight into what the deal is and how we get 'advantages' as a result?

scrooner
04-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Red jerseys :P

brasszag
04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
I see... SIU is the "next Gonzaga"

I think I can accept that... once we're all done with being the first Gonzaga.

Qhall43
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
"But maybe we're not as romantic a name. We're not as sexy as Gonzaga. We put on our lunch pales [and play a defensive-oriented style]. We're not as exciting. Maybe we're not as appealing to the masses."

I've never seen someone wear a lunch pail. Maybe no one's calling him because they don't understand what he's talking about :confused:

lothar98zag
04-25-2007, 02:04 PM
"But maybe we're not as romantic a name. We're not as sexy as Gonzaga. We put on our lunch pales [and play a defensive-oriented style]. We're not as exciting. Maybe we're not as appealing to the masses."

I've never seen someone wear a lunch pale. Maybe no one's calling him because they don't understand what he's talking about :confused:

:D

Does he have a hard hat and what does he do with it?

sonuvazag
04-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I've never seen someone wear a lunch pale. Maybe no one's calling him because they don't understand what he's talking about :confused:
I know it sounds obscure so let me help you out on this one. Wearing lunch pales on the head is common for high-rise construction work. Maybe you've seen the now-famous photographs? It is also well-known that, throughout the midwest, SIU is highly connected in recruiting circles that pull high-rise construction worker talent to the hardwood at the college level.

Hope this helps.

sonuvazag
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I also hope this article cures any of you who are against offense.
No offense = No sexy = No Nike ... capiche?

applezag
04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Good point, but I don't know if I'm cured.

I would probably be one you are talking to, but I have to admit that is a good point about the strategic philosophy of the program. I am one who frequently gripes about the defense, and that won't change, but you probably do get more interest playing the way GU does as opposed to Southern Illinois. I'm sure you really didn't mean it that way, but who said we were against offense? I love offense, just think we could give a little more care to the 'd'.

sonuvazag
04-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm not against the better defense crowd either. More than anything, Apple, it looks like Coach Lowry is on a high horse about his tough style being underappreciated. Boohoo. If anyone on here says they want less offense, I would raise an eyebrow, but I'm not for less defense either.

peg645
04-25-2007, 03:08 PM
An SIU/Zag home/home would be terrific. They don't belong in the Bracket Buster anymore, either. Chris Lowry played for Bruce Webber at SIU and is a very good young coach. And the difference in coaching philosophy - offense orientation vs. defense orientation - would be a great story line.

And of course SIU is the #1 party school in the world and from what I read on this Board, maybe GU would like to compete for that as well:)

You can't grow up in southern Illinois, even if you don't go to "Carbondale", without a soft spot in your heart for SIU!

Gonzdb8
04-25-2007, 03:46 PM
would love to see a home/home with the salukis. college hoops is the only sport that i'll claim to follow and root for two teams equally. i may teach at gonzaga, but the 4 years i spent in carbondale as an undergrad will always be remembered as the best times of my life to date (although i'm suspecting many of us look back on our college days with similar sentiment). if this home/home happens i'll certainly make the trip back to carbondale. if anyone else wants to tag along you can bet i know where all the best happy hour specials can be found :)
go salukis
go zags

GonzagaLove
04-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Remember how we (myself included) were all upset at Mark Few for putting together such a difficult schedule? I guess we should be thankful we can!!

MickMick
04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
The Zags are the standardbearers for the aspiring mid major schools. I recall the Tulsa coach (before a "bracket buster game with Gonzaga) saying "They are where we want to be."

The term "mid major" has become a point of debate. Read a few national boards and see how defensive the Memphis fans are about how the team is nationally percieved. Mark Few bristles at the term.

The success behind Zag scheduling is how the team is percieved. Gonzaga has evolved into a respected "sexy" opponent. Did anyone care to read the Georgia boards before the game this year? The game was hyped beyond belief. They were not playing a mid major. They were playing a national powerhouse. Before our eyes, the act of playing Gonzaga has evolved into putting a SEC basketball program "on the map". That Georgia game was the buzz of Athens for an entire week.

I look at this basketball landscape like the movie Highlander. "There can only be one." That is what the national press, the shoe companys, and the BCS conference teams want. Zag fans should feel extremely fortunate that we have reached this hallowed (albiet fragile) ground. Heck, the current anti-Zag argument speaks of things like National Championships and Final Four appearances (give it time folks). A "put them in their place" type attitude. The BCS fans feel threatened with one gnat buzzing their ear...let alone a few more like the Salukis.

Zag79
04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
i love the schools that THINK they are like us, but really arent that get upset and make these outlandish remarks. im sure Gonzaga would outwork and outhustle SIU in many games head to head. nike deals, tv deals, fan base all over that has never been to your town or seen you school, etc can tick a guy off! jealous coach, jealous remarks.

"There can only be one." That is what the national press, the shoe companys, and the BCS conference teams want. Zag fans should feel extremely fortunate that we have reached this hallowed (albiet fragile) ground. Heck, the current anti-Zag argument speaks of things like National Championships and Final Four appearances (give it time folks). A "put them in their place" type attitude. The BCS fans feel threatened with one gnat buzzing their ear...let alone a few more like the Salukis.

to a T. nail on the head. dead on.

Birddog
04-26-2007, 06:48 AM
some Zag mentions
Without going back and doing a count, I'd venture a guess that Gonzaga was mentioned more than any other school's name.

Birddog

NJZag
04-26-2007, 07:02 AM
:D

Does he have a hard hat and what does he do with it?

I don't know. But Andy or one of his assistants must check in with our Board grammarians and then re-edit. The article now reads:

"We've got more living alumni than Kentucky and Alabama, and we show up wherever we go," SIU athletic director Mario Moccia said. "But maybe we're not as romantic a name. We're not as sexy as Gonzaga. We [pick up] our lunch pails [and play a defensive-oriented style]. We're not as exciting. Maybe we're not as appealing to the masses."

:)

hondo
04-26-2007, 08:01 AM
"6 losses in 5 years? wow, impressive"
Must have gotten a mulligan

sittingon50
04-26-2007, 08:45 AM
'Spose we could get a "do over" on that 2OT Arizona game?

Qhall43
04-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't know. But Andy or one of his assistants must check in with our Board grammarians and then re-edit.

How dare they make that change without acknowledging me. I want some royalties from ESPN!!! :mad: