PDA

View Full Version : Does GU have a shot at Katelan Redmon?

Zag 77
04-25-2007, 12:28 PM
News reports in Spokesman-Review and Seattle Times report that Katelan Redmon has asked for a release from her letter of intent to UW now that Coach June Daugherty has been canned by UW (and subsequently hired by Wazzu).

Was GU ever a contender to get her, and does it have any shot now, or is it a foregone conclusion that at some point she will wind up at Wazzu?

BobZag
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I think Kelly Graves would like to have her--she is local--but I think it'd be a bit of a surprise if she came to GU.

BobZag
05-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Plus, Janelle Bekkering is better and they're the same size, same year. Let Redmon go elsewhere.

Zag 77
05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Seattle PI writer Moore(?) was on Dennis Patchin today in which he discusses an article he wrote. It looks like UW AD Turner will not release Redmon from her letter of intent without a fight. He says a deal is a deal, even if UW fired their coach after Redmon signed. He may have an NCAA legal point, but 99% of schools give a release, if not for humane reasons, than for the practical reason that there is no point in forcing a player to come to your school who does not want to be there.

This hardball attitude is bit CS in my opinion. What point is there to prove, and what is to be gained by this except some ill will?

Birddog
05-11-2007, 05:41 AM
If Turner sticks by his guns, it WILL be a mistake. But what would you expect from Udub. That ship has been listing for awhile now.

Birddog

young julez
05-11-2007, 11:47 AM
When a player signs a letter of intent it is for the institution, not the coach.

Ms. Redmon should be flattered that they want her enough to not just release her. Often when a new coach comes in and takes over they would prefer to have athletes that they recruit and that will fit in their system. Once she gets to know the coaching staff she can then make the decision to seek a release if she chooses. I am sure that UW will release her, if after they have had some time she still does not want to attend. If not...suck it up, fulfill the year that you committed to, then transfer somewhere else. After all, signing a letter of intent is optional, not required.

As for her at GU, I think that the Lady Zags will be great with the returning players that they have and the new ones coming in. In addition to the new recuits and the ones that redshirted this past year, we have a post-6'3 that will be coming in as a sophomore transfer from to help fill Hawks absence...I can see it now, 4 time WCC Champion-second appearance at the NCAA tournament-1st NCAA Tournament win:roll:

Zag 77
05-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Dear Julez,

Believe me, I understand the legalities of this. However, give an 18 year old kid a break. Her dad is quoted as having said that they have talked to the new coach, have no hard feelings, but that there is no way she is going to UW. This is a waste of UW's time and she wants to move on and get started taking summer school classes at wherever she is going to end up (probably WSU).

I have a feeling this is the UW AD trying to make some sort of point. I would doubt the UW Womens coach wants to keep beating her head against the wall with a player who wants to go elsewhere. Why not shake hands, let the kid go, and UW can use the schollie on somebody else?

This is a huge waste of time and energy for both the Redmons and UW

young julez
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
It is very unfortunate, but I believe that the fact that UW did not have any contract negotiations with June before the season began was a clear sign that they were not going to keep her.
While my daughter was being recruited that was a question that we asked, how long is your contract? As much as the coaching is not supposed to be the deciding factor the truth is that these girls are attracted to the teams by the coaches that recruited them, and most are there really just to play ball. If coach Kelly left GU I would have a hard time convincing my daughter to stay there.
Due to the letter of intent I believe that although she can attend WSU it will not be on an athletic scholarship, and then there will also be some penalties that will restrict her from playing for a period of time.
Maybe UW will let her go...but wherever she ends up I wish the best for her and if it's UW I will be cheering for her.

BobZag
05-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I get nervous when Daddy-o does all the talking and you never hear a peep from the recruit. This tells me Daddy-o is running the show and will be a big pain in the arse for the college coach to have to deal with.

Controlling parents. Nothing's worse.

I like our girls' parents.