PDA

View Full Version : Best In The West

Just_An_Old_Zag
01-27-2010, 08:16 PM
BYU Lost @ New Mexico no shame there but does that make us the best in the West?

I remember an ROTC Drill Team trip we took to BYU way back in the day, a beautiful campus and some lovely mountains both in the distance and up closer...:D

IrishEv211
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
We were best in the west as it stood before BYU lost....they have yet to play any team like the Zags have...Zags are probably overrated at #8 but they are still best out west

Once and Future Zag
01-28-2010, 06:53 AM
We were best in the west as it stood before BYU lost....they have yet to play any team like the Zags have...

That's an artifact of scheduling, and is irrelevant to how good a team is.

It makes it harder to compare, but has nothing to do with their actual quality.

CDC84
01-28-2010, 07:46 AM
It's a shame that only a small portion of the country got to see the BYU/UNM game last night. It was one of the absolute best college b-ball games of the year. The Pit was just rocking.

The BYU point guard (Fredette) reminds me a lot of Dan Dickau. I don't think he's the shooter that Dan was, but he has a lot of the same traits.

Gonzaga is a better team than BYU. More talented, more athletic. I could tell that within 5 minutes of watching them. The Cougars, though, are an extremely skilled team who could beat a couple of teams in the tournament if they get the right matchups.

HOOTER
01-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Partially true, but scheduling is a key component when considering a teams talent level. Until a team has proven themselves against worthy opponents you can only speculate as to how good they really are. Scheduling is anything but irrelevant. Strength of schedule and win/loss record against top teams are major considerations for the selection committee come tourney time.

That all being said, I agree with Irish that the Zags were best in the west prior to BYU's loss. They have the best talent in the west and have proven it with a tough schedule and wins against very talented opponents.

ZagInTexas
01-28-2010, 08:33 AM
It's a shame that only a small portion of the country got to see the BYU/UNM game last night. It was one of the absolute best college b-ball games of the year. The Pit was just rocking.

The BYU point guard (Fredette) reminds me a lot of Dan Dickau. I don't think he's the shooter that Dan was, but he has a lot of the same traits.

Gonzaga is a better team than BYU. More talented, more athletic. I could tell that within 5 minutes of watching them. The Cougars, though, are an extremely skilled team who could beat a couple of teams in the tournament if they get the right matchups.

The Pitt is a VERY difficult place to play. I think the Zags were/are a better team, but BYU is still very good. Not many teams going into the Pitt and leave happy.

CDC84
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
The Pit, BTW, is underdoing a multi-million dollar renovation right now. That's why you see the nosebleed seats up top tarped off. My Dad said that the concession stands are located outside, which is probably not too pleasant in the NM winter. That place is a great joint to see a basketball game. From the outside you would never guess it would be a big basketball arena. It's no taller than a Walmart. It's all underground. I checked out the new basketball practice facility next the Pit soon after it opened a couple of years ago. First rate. It's really great to see the Lobos come back to life. Alford has done a terrific job of not only recruiting and coaching, but of promoting his program throughout the community after it was so badly damaged by McKay.

Reborn
01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I played in the Pit back in 1968. It was unbelievable, even back then. It was the most awesome arena the Zags played in back in those days. I remember flying into Albequeque and thinking how ugly it was. For those who don't know it's dug down BELLOW the ground. It's HUGE and their fans are crazy just like the Zags but probably about 10,000 of them. That was huge game for a Gonzaga team back in those days, which was a mere taste of what it is now. Makes me smile at how far the program has come in 40 or 50 years. It truly is incredible.

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Playing good teams makes you better. Still not proof GU is better than BYU, but who you play is important.

alldaye
01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
BYU has lost to Utah State and UNM, and hasn't really beaten anyone noteworthy