PDA

View Full Version : OT - Storming the floor can cost a pretty penny

CDC84
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4863093

Storming floor nets Gamecocks fine

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina's first victory over a No. 1 team will cost $25,000.

The Southeastern Conference said Wednesday that South Carolina will be fined for violating league rules against permitting fans on the playing area following a 68-62 victory over top-ranked Kentucky on Tuesday night.

The league said this was South Carolina's second violation, which triggered the higher fine. The first violation also followed a victory over Kentucky on Feb. 15, 2005. Fans rushed the Colonial Life Arena court after the Gamecocks 73-61 win over then-No. 3 Kentucky. The athletic department was fined $5,000 by the league.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive said the policy is to keep a safe environment for those who participate and attend league events.

a13coach
01-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I guess those in charge of the SEC, want to keep a certain status/stature of some of their teams despite common sense application of "league rules".

sdzag
01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
. Now if another teams student section stormed the court like Gonzaga did to Santa Clara while hosting the WCC tourny would the home school be fined?

bullzag23
01-27-2010, 11:47 AM
. Now if another teams student section stormed the court like Gonzaga did to Santa Clara while hosting the WCC tourny would the home school be fined?

I would storm that court 100 times over if I lived through that experience again....no fine would stop me, especially if it were SCU's fine :D

Tmac5360
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Is there a situation that would get the students at GU to storm the court. I think it says "wow we didn't expect to win that one". And I don't think there is a single team in America that would come into the MAC and the Zags wouldn't fully expect to beat. So that being said, does it ever happen? I hope not!

TokyoZag
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Host school is in charge of (and responsible for) security. If the away team fans storm the court, host school still picks up the penalty.

NotoriousZ
01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Is there a situation that would get the students at GU to storm the court?

Maybe if Michigan State is #1 when they come in here during the 2011-12 season...I wouldn't have a problem with storming the court in that situaton.

Edit: But we'll probably be #1 at that time!

Baldwinzag
01-27-2010, 01:10 PM

This makes me laugh everytime I read or even think about it. I'll admit, I was among the guilty who charged their floor on that fateful day. The most intense game I've ever attended, hands down. It may not have been the loudest, craziest, or most rowdy, yet between the two student sections calling each other out the entire game, SCU players taunting the crowd, and everyone on the edge of their seats, it was a frenzy of emotions flowing through the arena. Once Ronny single-handidly took over the game in the waning seconds, it was a fanatical reaction by the KC and next thing I knew we were all storming SCU's floor & cheering like crazy. It may not have been the most "classy" move, yet still one of the most memorable WCC Tourney's and Kennel Club experiences I had during college...

Zagquette
01-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Is a WCC championship tournament title storm-the-court worthy? Did the students storm the court when the Ammo-led Zags hosted the tourney?

gozagswoohoo
01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
When I was one of 19 zags fans attending the Illinois game earlier this month, I contemplated storming the court....then again, if I was the only person storming, Illinois probably would not have been fine. I probably would have just been arrested or something.

lothar98zag
01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
This makes me laugh everytime I read or even think about it. I'll admit, I was among the guilty who charged their floor on that fateful day. The most intense game I've ever attended, hands down. It may not have been the loudest, craziest, or most rowdy, yet between the two student sections calling each other out the entire game, SCU players taunting the crowd, and everyone on the edge of their seats, it was a frenzy of emotions flowing through the arena. Once Ronny single-handidly took over the game in the waning seconds, it was a fanatical reaction by the KC and next thing I knew we were all storming SCU's floor & cheering like crazy. It may not have been the most "classy" move, yet still one of the most memorable WCC Tourney's and Kennel Club experiences I had during college...
I took this one on an old cell phone (no sound) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi421aWpx3M

a student took this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nBQr0_e9ts

a13coach
01-27-2010, 01:29 PM

a student took this -

You know that really has to stick in the donkey's craw, a real good reason for them to dislike GU. And that is a great way to do it. I am fine and happy with that. :lmao:

CDC84
01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I was at the SCU/GU game that Baldwin is talking about, and as Baldwin accurately describes it, the storming of the floor in that game really had little to do with the reasons most students storm a floor. There were SCU students on the floor after the game as well. It really had to do with the animosity between the two sets of fans that had been building throughout the game. It wasn't the game result. I don't think any TV viewers really understood this....you had to have been at the game to understand the dynamics of what took place. Unfortunately, Zag fans took a beating on various message boards after the game for what they did, but needless to say, it hasn't been done since, which basically proves my theory that the storming didn't take place for the reasons it usually does.

Baldwinzag
01-27-2010, 01:37 PM

a student took this -

Thanks for the links, Lothar. Always fun to reminisce a slightly regrettable but memorable(and fun) moment in GU hoops...

In all seriousness, has this ever been done before in College bball? It seems pretty rare that an opposing team's student section/crowd would storm the floor on the their home court? Can you think of another instance this has occured? Could you imagine UNC's student section storming Cameron Indoor after a victory or WSU fans running onto our court if they won?

jbslicer
01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
The fine is C.S. How were the officials and staff going to keep all those students off the flooor?

CDC84
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
You do have to wonder if the $25,000 fines are enough to encourage a BCS school to hire extra security to keep students off the floor. You'd have to hire a lot of security to accomplish something like that, and it's security that probably wouldn't be needed for any other game.

lothar98zag
01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Let's say a team plays 15 home games & averages 10,000 per game over a season. If they wanted to budget for the chance that a court storming would occur three times a year, all they would have to do is raise ticket prices across the board $0.50.

I don't think any SEC school is worried about this rule.

gozagswoohoo
01-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Let's say a team plays 15 home games & averages 10,000 per game over a season. If they wanted to budget for the chance that a court storming would occur three times a year, all they would have to do is raise ticket prices across the board $0.50.

I don't think any SEC school is worried about this rule.

OR they could just allow ONE more student to attend their university for like one semester, there's your 25k right there.

tightface
01-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Demarcus Cousins allegedly attacked a fan that bumped into him, reportedly hitting him with two punches, per collegehoopsjournal.com

Honestly, I can't blame him if he legitimately thought the kid was trying to harm him, but its hard to believe when you're a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier. I imagine it was a pretty hectic scene.

primal23
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Host school is in charge of (and responsible for) security. If the away team fans storm the court, host school still picks up the penalty.

So I vote that all those Zag fans that go to the SCU game tomorrow storm the court, just to get SCU the fine. :p :p :p

kitzbuel
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Is there a situation that would get the students at GU to storm the court. I think it says "wow we didn't expect to win that one". And I don't think there is a single team in America that would come into the MAC and the Zags wouldn't fully expect to beat. So that being said, does it ever happen? I hope not!

How about a win in the Arena that propels the Zags to the Sweet 16?

Rangerzag
01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
When I was one of 19 zags fans attending the Illinois game earlier this month, I contemplated storming the court....then again, if I was the only person storming, Illinois probably would not have been fine. I probably would have just been arrested or something.

I think the fine for your solo offense would be like $11.37 ;)

VinnyZag
01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Is a WCC championship tournament title storm-the-court worthy? Did the students storm the court when the Ammo-led Zags hosted the tourney?

If I remember correctly, the players more or less stormed the stands after that game. Anyone remember Morrison standing on the scorer's table celebrating? Everybody thought he was off his rocker for celebrating like that after "merely" winning a WCC title.

The fine for storming the court is ridiculous, by the way. They beat a No. 1-ranked team, that's something to celebrate.

bullzag23
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I was at the SCU/GU game that Baldwin is talking about, and as Baldwin accurately describes it, the storming of the floor in that game really had little to do with the reasons most students storm a floor. There were SCU students on the floor after the game as well. It really had to do with the animosity between the two sets of fans that had been building throughout the game. It wasn't the game result. I don't think any TV viewers really understood this....you had to have been at the game to understand the dynamics of what took place. Unfortunately, Zag fans took a beating on various message boards after the game for what they did, but needless to say, it hasn't been done since, which basically proves my theory that the storming didn't take place for the reasons it usually does.

Sorry but as one of the infamous 'court stormers' in that SCU game I have to disagree. The game was basically won in the last few seconds, as Ronny gave us the lead with 5 to go. This was definitely a celebratory storming after an exciting game, which IMO is the reason most students storm a court. Sure there was animosity between the student sections, but I didn't feel like that was the main reason we did it.

CDC84
01-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Sorry but as one of the infamous 'court stormers' in that SCU game I have to disagree. The game was basically won in the last few seconds, as Ronny gave us the lead with 5 to go. This was definitely a celebratory storming after an exciting game, which IMO is the reason most students storm a court. Sure there was animosity between the student sections, but I didn't feel like that was the main reason we did it.

That may have been your reason for storming the floor. :)

The students have never stormed the floor since, so there was something else at work beyond the game result.

Perhaps it was the fact that GU up to that point in the season had beaten every WCC team by double figures. They just blew everyone out. I remember that GU/SCU semifinal very well because not only did I have an injured neck at the time, but I had made a prediction on the old board that GU would sweep the WCC that year. I saw my life pass before my eyes when Bailey put up that three pointer at the buzzer.......