PDA

View Full Version : Will we regret letting Poling slip away???

dim4sum
01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I think the team really needs a third big. Sacre has been underachieving, the coaches, for some reason, don't trust Foster. With Poling in there, there was at least an option. In what little I saw of him, I would give him a good rating, and considerably ahead of Sace in the hustle department. I don;t know the dynamics of Poling's abrupt departure, but I hope it isn't something the coaches will regret as the season advances. Next year Dower and Sacre, but still a need for a Poling type, either in the middle or as a power forward. Can we reason that they may have some unknown big on the recruitment horizon, that made Poling's presence unneeded next year and beyond?

whatazag
01-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I already regret it. Not so much for this year, but for next year and beyond. Some things are out of the staff's control, though. I think Andy had a bright future here, but that does not mean I would have been in favor of sacrificing better players' playing time this year to persuade him to stay.

OZZY
01-26-2010, 03:22 PM
The last time I checked the team has lost only three games, and none of them could be directly attributed to Rob Sacre's poor play. The statement that he has been underacheiving is based on what? a game here or a game there.....Each one of the starting side have had games where they did not make their mark. How soon we forget about Rob's Maui form. Rob has played very well against teams that bang. I also note that KO was not even mentioned in your comments, If Poling was better than Kelly then Andy would have got the minutes, as Kelly matures and grows into his body he will become even a better inside/outside force. Next year GU will have Sacre/Harris/KO/Dower and Arop/Kong able to play some of the forward positions

Angelo Roncalli
01-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Isn't the answer to this rhetorical question to be determined well in the future?

Is there regret that Mark Few told Mario Kasun to quit waiting for the NCAA and go play pro ball? Maybe. Is there regret that Kasun's place was taken by Ronny Turiaf? I don't think so.

Zagatak
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
No regret. I have seen him play MANY times when he was at Westview High School. He looked like he had a BRIGHT future as a sophomore. But since then he just kept getting worse and worse every year at every aspect of the game. Maybe something mentally shut down but from what i saw especially his last year in high school, he doesnt deserve to play at the level GU does.

germzag
01-26-2010, 03:29 PM
No,we will not miss him. D2 player stuck in a D1 body.

rawkmandale
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
We'll see how things develop for Andy, but in my dreams/alternate reality, we would have "traded" him for either:

Chelan's Joe Harris (just dropped 41 on Lake Roosevelt) OR
Walla Walla's Gary Winston (http://blip.tv/file/3100101)

I know...different positions than post...but they seem to be the best players in Eastern Washington, maybe along with Ryan Nicholas

I loved it when Gonzaga had a lot of Eastern Washington guys on the team, even if they weren't all starters.

mdZag23
01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
don't we have enough guys that aren't getting enough playing time on this board! There is only 200 minutes a game and some of you people seem to have a problem with the math and how it works!

Yes, we may regret it, however, we may benefit from it! But good god almighty, go back to doing YOUR job and let Mark Few do HIS!

gamagin
01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
at AP than Few & staff.

Robzagnut
01-27-2010, 07:55 AM
> Will we regret letting Poling slip away???

Have we regretted ANY player in the Few era that slipped away?

Poling would be sitting on the bench next year too behind Sacre, Olynik, Harris and Dower. He saw the writing on the wall.

bartruff1
01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Regretting, hand wringing, and bed wetting are a complete waste of time and will make you uncomfortable... I am under the impression that Andy made the decision....every decision has a downside if you want to focus on a "what might have been"...your life will be full of pain..... obviously you can learn by your mistakes but regret won't help...now watch as Brett Farve goes about making a decision...he never looks back...:)

Gufan
01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
As I understand it, we will have Sacre, KO, Dower, and Elias down low next year. I think many on this board would agree that moving Elias to the 3/wing with Dower (?) at the 4 would be very effective and would help free up Sacre down low. That line up would be extremely physical, athletic, and long and would create matchup problems for just about any team. However, that would leave Kelly as our only frontcourt sub, and he is more of a wing player right now anyway. Does the staff need to add a Juco big for depth to allow the players to play positions their natural/most effective positions? I haven't heard much on adding anything but a guard, but think a true big would be the best acquisition.

I also understand that if the staff uses the above line up, that would leave less minutes for Bol/Manny/GG etc, but at some point you have to put the best players available in the positions they can be most effective/dominant (ie Harris at the 3). But this cannot happen without more frontcourt depth

Jedster
01-27-2010, 11:16 AM
As I understand it, we will have Sacre, KO, Dower, and Elias down low next year. I think many on this board would agree that moving Elias to the 3/wing with Dower (?) at the 4 would be very effective and would help free up Sacre down low. That line up would be extremely physical, athletic, and long and would create matchup problems for just about any team. However, that would leave Kelly as our only frontcourt sub, and he is more of a wing player right now anyway. Does the staff need to add a Juco big for depth to allow the players to play positions their natural/most effective positions? I haven't heard much on adding anything but a guard, but think a true big would be the best acquisition.

I also understand that if the staff uses the above line up, that would leave less minutes for Bol/Manny/GG etc, but at some point you have to put the best players available in the positions they can be most effective/dominant (ie Harris at the 3). But this cannot happen without more frontcourt depth

I think Bol can play a bit of the 3 too, so he can help spell Elias. I see what you are saying though. This could put a lot on Sam to come out and have a big impact. Hopefully he uses his redshirt year well! I'm sure there will be times next year when you can have 3 of Meech, Gibbs, Gray, Arop, GJ out there too along with two of the bigs mentioned above.

duper
01-27-2010, 04:33 PM
We'll see how things develop for Andy, but in my dreams/alternate reality, we would have "traded" him for either:

Chelan's Joe Harris (just dropped 41 on Lake Roosevelt) OR
Walla Walla's Gary Winston (http://blip.tv/file/3100101)

I know...different positions than post...but they seem to be the best players in Eastern Washington, maybe along with Ryan Nicholas

I loved it when Gonzaga had a lot of Eastern Washington guys on the team, even if they weren't all starters.

From what I've seen Simons from Ephrata is the best player in Eastern Washington or Harris but Simons team beat Harris so he gets the nodd.