PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Jordan Mast

BobZag
04-25-2007, 08:16 AM
The Jesuit HS product who has walked on will be transferring to a D2 school--possibly in SoCal, ala Point Loma--or maybe to Oregon State.

Like Pmac and Burgess, Mast just wants to play. Can't blame him one bit.

He was a great walkon, a big help in practices and certainly has game to play at either level.

Good luck, Jordan, and thanks!

ZagNut08
04-25-2007, 08:21 AM
He accomplished his dream of being on the team at Gonzaga...but the kid has talent, and I always wondered why someone of that level would be content walking on, without serious hope of getting significant pt

Glad he was here, great guy to have on the bench, best of luck in the future

wazZag
04-25-2007, 08:22 AM
At Oregon State he would have to start, what do they have 4 players right now?

Good for him though, I imagine he contributed quite a bit while he was around. Wish him the best.

former1dog
04-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Aw, shucks!

I really don't like this development. Jordan, IMO, was an important part of the program and I saw him getting more time on the court next season, even with our stacked team.

GonzagaGurl08
04-25-2007, 08:52 AM
It's a bummer that we are losing Jordan. I love that kid, and he's a great baller. He's a great asset to the team. Hopefully he'll get some playing time elsewhere. Good luck to JMast!!!!

Nevtelen
04-25-2007, 09:16 AM
He showed significant talent when he was on the court - I hope he's happy wherever he goes (and has as much PT as he wants).

gamagin
04-25-2007, 09:29 AM
departure may also signal another change in GU bkb: the walk on.

I believe the odds of a walk on coming to GU and making the roster will go the way of the carrier pigeon. Or Rudy.

Hope I'm wrong, but that was a potentially valuable piece of pine he was holding down.

I also predict at some time, either a transferring athlete or a person like Mast may come back to bite the program by gaining greater success elsewhere than at GU.

either way, I think both coaches and players need to do what is best for them and I hope it can be done with honor and dignity on both sides.

Birddog
04-25-2007, 10:02 AM
but that was a potentially valuable piece of pine he was holding down.

Not sure I'm following you on that. Unless I'm missing something the last 2 spots on the pine have to be walk-on spots (or vacant); 13 schollies, 15 total roster.

Birddog

tyra
04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Hate to lose this kid. He also seemed like a good insurance policy -- probably better than we could hope for. On the other hand, I've never understood why an athlete of Jordan's caliber would rather ride the pine at GU (love it though I do) as opposed to starting at a fine D2 school. After all, you only have a chance to play college basketball one time. In any event, go get 'em Jordan.

lothar98zag
04-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Hate to lose this kid. He also seemed like a good insurance policy -- probably better than we could hope for. On the other hand, I've never understood why an athlete of Jordan's caliber would rather ride the pine at GU (love it though I do) as opposed to starting at a fine D2 school. After all, you only have a chance to play college basketball one time. In any event, go get 'em Jordan.
ditto 100%

gamagin
04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
If there are really, actually, two walk ons on each wcc team, i stand corrected.

If there is no way to give that slot to someone other than a walk on (a higher choice, so to speak), I'm doubly wrong.

My assumption was if the likes of PMAC decide to move on, the pressure to find a better mix of players quicker, necessarily would discourage the hopes and expectations as well as the attention paid to walk ons as well, because the caliber, the field, and the air in the program, is getting thinner.

no ?

maybe my idea of a walk on is simply from the Dark Ages.

maybe you can enlighten here.

best,

jake
04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
I've always admired the enthusiasm and team spirit Jordan brought to the team the past two years. Some of the issues he dealt with the last couple of years could not have been easy, but he always seemed to carry himself with class and exemplified the Gonzaga spirit. I wish him good luck in the future.

Zagson
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
The role of the walk-on is invaluable to a coach. They are the ones that will work the hardest and be the most energetic. You know as a scholarship player that if you are getting outplayed, outhustled, or outworked by a walk-on, it is no different than getting outplayed by a WCC opponent or someone else with less talent. Coach Wooden said that a coaches greatest motivator is the bench. I would add to that a close second is getting embarassed by/or losing PT to a walk-on. These guys go to battle for each other and when a walk-on usually plays is when the starters have done their job and put the game away. There is a nice symbiotic relationship. Walk-ons push the frontline guys and the big dogs return the favor by getting the walk-ons some PT. I, for one, will always hope for great walk-ons.

DrDrivel
04-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I guess that's fair. My mistake.

Happy trails, wherever you wind up, Jordan. Awesome job out there.

Nevtelen
04-25-2007, 12:26 PM
If there are really, actually, two walk ons on each wcc team, i stand corrected.

If there is no way to give that slot to someone other than a walk on (a higher choice, so to speak), I'm doubly wrong.

My assumption was if the likes of PMAC decide to move on, the pressure to find a better mix of players quicker, necessarily would discourage the hopes and expectations as well as the attention paid to walk ons as well, because the caliber, the field, and the air in the program, is getting thinner.

no ?

maybe my idea of a walk on is simply from the Dark Ages.

maybe you can enlighten here.

best,

There is no way to give those last two slots to anyone but a walk-on. Any program in the country only gets 13 schollies for 15 roster spots. If the team wants 15 players, the last two must be walk-ons. At least as far as I know. So I don't know if every other WCC team as 2, but if they have 15 players on their roster they certainly do.

I think the possiblity of a walk-on getting a schollie at GU is small, but it does happen at other major universities, so it's not impossible (wasn't Suhr from Indiana a former walk-on?). It's just not likely. And some kids really do improve a la Bankhead and earn their way on.

CDC84
04-25-2007, 12:28 PM
BTW....Mast was offered by SMU and Boise State coming out of high school. I hope he goes to another D-1 school, because he's good enough to start or play heavy minutes at a number of Big Sky and Big West schools.

He was one of the best walk ons GU has had over the years. He will be missed....especially for what he brings to practices.

mendiant
04-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Good luck Jordan!!

Thank you for your contributions to the team!

You will always be a ZAG!

cougs4ever
04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
The Jesuit HS product who has walked on will be transferring to a D2 school . . . or maybe to Oregon State.

He was a great walkon, a big help in practices and certainly has game to play at either level.

OSU=D2 school.

Thanks for the biggest lol I've had all day!:lmao:

GonzagaGurl08
04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
In defense of BobZag, he did say "or", which means a D2 school, or OSU. One or the other. It doesn't mean that OSU is a D2 school.

skan72
04-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I think what the guy above is saying is that OSU was somewhat put on the same level as a D2 school in the comment of where Jordan is transferring.

john montana
04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
best of luck jordan!

Vanzagger
04-26-2007, 09:24 PM
U da man JO

zagfever86
04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Perhaps there was financial problems with him walking on and he needs a situation where he will be a scholarship player?

His dad is in legal trouble right now, and there's definitely got to be some financial concerns while attending a school like Gonzaga.

primal23
04-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Best of luck to you Jordan and thank you for being a Zag!!

MickMick
04-27-2007, 07:39 PM
The pitch to walk-ons goes like this... "You develop to your full potential, and there is a chance we can offer you a scholarship." This is how the scenario worked out with Kyle Bankhead. This is the same scenario that replays itself across the college landscape annually. The problem is that once a school begins to recruit 4-5 star players on a regular basis, the valuable/limited scholarships tend to go the new, highly regarded recruits. Regardless, there is always the chance of an exception (the kid gets the full ride). In other words, there are many examples in organized sport where heart and desire have overcome long odds. In other cases, there are those players that continue to contribute without the scholarship.

Perhaps Mast didn't hear those magical scholarship words. Perhaps the Zag coaching staff was upfront and honest. Giving Mast the chance to remain as a walk on and ride the pine, or have a chance to earn a scholarship/playing time elsewhere. Further, you can value a walk-on's contribution as a teammate and practice player, yet "nudge" him elsewhere for his own best interest (and at the expense of the team). At least he will know that he gave it a shot with GU and will not forever wonder what might have been.

gamagin
04-28-2007, 08:23 AM
used to mean a fellow like Rudy. wasn't recruited. paid his own way to the school, entered and turned out and made the team.

I believe there is a difference between that and, say, young Mast, no ?

My definition of such walk on would be more like a miracle.

The Mast kind of walk on must have some idea, some notion or some encouragement to come to GU, versus somewhere else, right ?

Or are these athletes honestly just showing up on this campus or that and taking a shot ?

Sorry for my ignorance. But it seems like this area deserves more light. Or else I do.

Is there anything a program can do to encourage a kid to come to a school as a walk on with any hope of making the team ? I.E. a job, maybe even as a baseball manager, or in the Cog, or "something" to help with the staggering tuition, not even counting the time involved.

If not, it seems like only those wealthy enough to shop around and then make a team could even afford to walk on.

thanks in advance,

ZagNut08
04-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I believe Jordan was a "preffered walk on." Some recruiting services have him listed as a commitment, without a scholarship offered. In other words, the coaches told him he would have a spot on the team...as long as he payed his own way.

Compared to Andrew who came to the school, had not been in contact with the coaches, and showed up to open tryouts and made the team.

gamagin
04-28-2007, 10:27 AM
it appears there are several different kinds of walk ons.

which is what i was suggesting earlier about the fate of the true walk on. my guess is this could be a trouble spot in the future, unless those nuances are worked out. I can't imagine there is a gaping hole there, given the proclivities of the NCAA to make the rule book thicker over time.

my guess is it has been worked out, but I don't know where to read about it or what our policy is in this regard.

for e.g., there will always be the question of whether a kid walked on or was whether there some sort of arrangement involved ? and how does the "deal" square with the rules. the perceptiion. the reality. is there an unfair advantage involved? and so forth.

Stuff like this grows especially quickly if/when the Zag phenomena grows legs as we all hope & believe it will.

best regards,

Bulldog
04-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Its a sign of good team coming up when players like Mast have to transfer to get some time in the games. GU has enough talent to make up 2 good WCC teams and would probably play each other in the WCC championship game.:lmao:

tyra
04-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Andrew was actually a 6th man in high school. Mind you, he was an incredible 6th man. He could come into a game and give instant lift to the team on either end. Whatever athleticism deficit (pretty hard for me to discern in any regard) he more than made up for in defensive intensity, hustle beyond compare (state floor burn champion), and the spirit of a lion. To me, Andrew more typifies the walk on story than Jordan who clearly could have played at a "lesser" program immediately after high school. In any event, we wish Jordan all the luck in the world and extend to him our best Zag gratitude for his contributions.

Birddog
04-28-2007, 03:30 PM
GA et. al.
Bankhead was a "recruited" walkon IIRC. I believe Mast was too, although I think maybe the process was initiated by Mast more than GU whereas Bankhead was sort of approached by GU and told that if he worked hard etc. he might be able to land a spot. I also seem to remember that it was a hardship for the Bankheads to hang on for I think it was 2 years before the scholly was offered.

As Tyra said, Sorensen is more like the Rudy approach, he tried out and made the team, he was at GU anyway. I think all teams have some form of walkon, at GU the chances are not as good as they were in the past to be the hidden gem that makes it.

Sometimes teams will actively recruit a kid who they know would love to play for them, but he's maybe there 3rd option with 2 schollies to give. They promise the kid a scholly for the following year when they have more options. This is a rare case, most coaches want to hold the cards as long as possible, but it's not unlike offering a HS Jr.

Birddog