PDA

View Full Version : LaBradford Franklin to San Diego State

BobZag
01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
I just wonder if the Zag staff found their guard. Hmmmmmmmm.

cjm720
01-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I wonder if LF posted another tweet about hearing from the man in Spokane.

And on the flip side of the equation, I wonder if Dunson has a twitter account!

Go Zags!!!

zag67
01-25-2010, 09:55 AM
BZ, could it possibly be a JC transfer?

MississppiZag
01-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Darn. I liked the thought of LaBradford at Gonzaga. Hopefully the staff has another guard with equal or better talent. That would be great.

BobZag
01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Possibly. I'm just conjecturing. <--- is that a word?

But something triggered Franklin's commitment and it "might" be news that the staff has another man.

U Zig, I Zag
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM

But something triggered Franklin's commitment and it "might" be news that the staff has another man.

So these are PG's generally?

I am seeing Meech, GJ, GG, and Kyle 'The Dragon' Dranginis in '11. Isn't that a lot of guys?

I know GG at point might not be a reality but he could handle it if need be.

Brain-spasm, but we have NO 2010 commits, right?

2Zags3Pups
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Few has a history of running having two guys on the court with point guard skills at the same time. Think Hall-Santangelo, Stepp-Dickau, Bouldin-Meech.

CDC84
01-25-2010, 10:35 AM
With Harris likely returning, Gonzaga needs to get a very good combo guard who can run the team, defend and shoot it from distance in order to take things to the next level. In all due respect to Grant, GJ, etc., they need to get someone better. A juco would be ideal, but heck, if GU made a huge run in the tourney, and Brandon Knight called up and asked why GU wasn't recruiting him, I would be more than happy to take him for a year (I'm dreaming of course :)).

mgadfly
01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Few has a history of running having two guys on the court with point guard skills at the same time. Think Hall-Santangelo, Stepp-Dickau, Bouldin-Meech.

What about Pargo-Raivio?

2Zags3Pups
01-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I knew there were more, I just had a brain fart and could not think of them.

Thanks.

U Zig, I Zag
01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
With Harris likely returning, Gonzaga needs to get a very good combo guard who can run the team, defend and shoot it from distance in order to take things to the next level. In all due respect to Grant, GJ, etc., they need to get someone better. A juco would be ideal, but heck, if GU made a huge run in the tourney, and Brandon Knight called up and asked why GU wasn't recruiting him, I would be more than happy to take him for a year (I'm dreaming of course :)).

I haven't seen enough of GG or GJ to know for sure but I would like to think of them as capable. They were recruited by Few and Co. after all. GG doesn't have the hops or the speed but I imagine is as a good a shooter as Gray (?) and probably has better handles. GG is more of a #2 then I am guessing.

GJ may just not be happy here or not good enough or whatever. I have a feeling we may never know because these things have a way of working themselves out. That would leave 4 open spots next year?

BroncoZAG615
01-25-2010, 12:30 PM

I don't think that's it. I feel like LB fell in love with playing for a very good program close to home.

Dunson would be a BIG get for Gonzaga because he's getting interest from everywhere. I'm worried about 2010. I think we might have slowplayed some of these kids so much that it's backfiring.

All we need is an immediate impact player which is why I'd like Dunson. We aren't that far away from being great next year but I don't want to have a Brockman effect when Bouldin leaves. No point in the staff being cute, just get your man.

WallaWallaZag
01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think that's it. I feel like LB fell in love with playing for a very good program close to home.

Dunson would be a BIG get for Gonzaga because he's getting interest from everywhere. I'm worried about 2010. I think we might have slowplayed some of these kids so much that it's backfiring.

All we need is an immediate impact player which is why I'd like Dunson. We aren't that far away from being great next year but I don't want to have a Brockman effect when Bouldin leaves. No point in the staff being cute, just get your man.

i agree that his decision probably wasn't because the zags passed on him...that's a little too arrogant of an assumption for me. san diego state is an up and coming program and also plays an uptempo game with a lot of freedom given to the players...it's an attractive place to go and i think the new mexico teams are also similar.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
i agree that his decision probably wasn't because the zags passed on him...that's a little too arrogant of an assumption for me. san diego state is an up and coming program and also plays an uptempo game with a lot of freedom given to the players...it's an attractive place to go and i think the new mexico teams are also similar.

ur rt abt sdsu.....they play uptempo, draw 8-10K a game and have become a mtn west power.....they have left usd way behind in this town.....

BMAN
01-25-2010, 02:30 PM
I have a good friend who is a die hard fan of SDSU. He says they need a good point guard so Franklin could get major playing time next year. Coach Few could probably not make that promise with all the guards we have now.

CDC84
01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I think the situation could very well be as Bronco outlines it. The Zags are evaluating a number of guys, LB being one of them. He clearly didn't want to wait. He wanted to make a commitment to someone who was totally sold on him. I can't blame him for pulling the trigger. Doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to be a Zag, but it also doesn't mean the GU staff were 100% sold on him either. Or it could be what Bob is talking about.....and BTW - that "other player" maybe someone none of us are aware of.

We'll see how it plays out.

BroncoZAG615
01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
It's very possible that the Zags didn't like LB as much as we all did. I know I was sold on him. He seems like a nice, big guard that can score which seems like a great sub for Meech. Then again, I'm not a member of the staff.

If it is a foreign player that can play point, I'll be happy but I'd be extraordinarily disappointed if the staff just threw a scholly out to some project big or wing. The talent returning next year is so close to being elite that all we need is an instant impact guard.

I also still think the staff is struggling with how to use Grant. If they deem him to be a legit option to back up Meech, it's possible they don't think we need a point guard that can score. I haven't seen enough from Grant yet, however, to show me that he can create his own shot and dribble against elite pressure. I would assume the staff feels the same way since we haven't seen him in those situations. If he is going to fill Matt's role and start on the wing, which I think Manny should, he'll have to show the ability to hit the outside shot or make plays with the dribble. Otherwise, he's just a role player.

Lastly, I have been frustrated with this staff's recruiting at times but, save for 2008, I think we have all been happy with how the classes have turned out. I guess we'll see who is next.

CDC84
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
I think a lot of people have been disappointed with the way their 2008 recruiting went. Especially UCLA. It was a terrible recruiting class. It was very hard to evaluate players.

ZagAddict
01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I trust the GU staff and their ability to evalute talent, but why do I feel that this program has fallen off the map lately for domestic high school athletes? The 2008 class was incredibily weak (ala Goodson, Gibbs, and Poling)... the Brad Tinsley pass still bugs me to this day. The 2009 class has been great with very good international athletes (Harris, Arop, Kong, Olynk), but the domestic high school kids Dower and Vilarino have had little to no impact this season. I know that Dower and Vilarino may be a bigger part of teams in the future, but why the lack of top high school ball players in our recruiting classes? Maybe I'm bias in my assessment of the GU program, but last I checked we have 1) national tv exposure, 2) a perennial top 15 program, 3) one of the best coaches and staffs in the nation, 4) good facilities, and 5) have placed players in the NBA.

This 2010 recruiting class has been confusing since the beginning :confused: It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I feel an international or junior college player coming our way.

theothegreat21
01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I trust the GU staff and their ability to evalute talent, but why do I feel that this program has fallen off the map lately for domestic high school athletes? The 2008 class was incredibily weak (ala Goodson, Gibbs, and Poling)... the Brad Tinsley pass still bugs me to this day. The 2009 class has been great with very good international athletes (Harris, Arop, Kong, Olynk), but the domestic high school kids Dower and Vilarino have had little to no impact this season. I know that Dower and Vilarino may be a bigger part of teams in the future, but why the lack of top high school ball players in our recruiting classes? Maybe I'm bias in my assessment of the GU program, but last I checked we have 1) national tv exposure, 2) a perennial top 15 program, 3) one of the best coaches and staffs in the nation, 4) good facilities, and 5) have placed players in the NBA.

This 2010 recruiting class has been confusing since the beginning :confused: It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I feel an international or junior college player coming our way.

May I ask what exactly it is about passing on Brad Tinsley that bothers you. Is it his 6.9 pts and 3.0 assists per game, or his only shooting 30% from behind the arc? Or is it his inability to keep any guard in front of him on the defensive end? Just curious

Timeout!
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
A juco would be ideal, but heck, if GU made a huge run in the tourney, and Brandon Knight called up and asked why GU wasn't recruiting him, I would be more than happy to take him for a year (I'm dreaming of course :)).

Maybe Manny and Kelly convinced fellow Canadian National team member and Top-20 PG prospect, Cory Joseph, to forgo his offers from Texas, UConn, Villanova, etc, and finally give us a look?

Now, I'm dreaming...or am I? ;)

ZagAddict
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
May I ask what exactly it is about passing on Brad Tinsley that bothers you. Is it his 6.9 pts and 3.0 assists per game, or his only shooting 30% from behind the arc? Or is it his inability to keep any guard in front of him on the defensive end? Just curious

I thought he was a good player in high school and loved that fact that he was a passionate Zag fan. I've always been open about the fact that I prefer Northwest kids (especially Zag diehards) and the fact that it is important to keep recruiting ties open in the Portland and Seattle areas. We should be very competitive in these areas and I feel we've become very irrelevant.

If we are comparing stats:

Brad Tinsley
Yr. Min Pts Rbs Ast A/T FG% FT% 3P%
08/09 31.0 11.0 2.5 2.8 1.34 .419 .824 .411
09/10 27.4 6.9 2.6 3.0 1.35 .417 .762 .300

Demetri Goodson
08/09 13.4 3.8 1.3 1.6 1.59 .540 .647 .250
09/10 25.9 6.7 1.6 1.9 1.03 .448 .552 .105

Grant Gibbs
08/09 - Reshirt
09/10 14.0 2.4 2.4 1.0 1.17 .444 .357 .308

Yes, I'd be happy with PG stats like this from Brad Tinsley as a Zag this year. Goodson and Gibbs are our guards from this class and I support them, but there is nothing to frown upon with Tinsley's play in the SEC.

ZagAddict
01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Maybe Manny and Kelly convinced fellow Canadian National team member and Top-20 PG prospect, Cory Joseph, to forgo his offers from Texas, UConn, Villanova, etc, and finally give us a look?

Now, I'm dreaming...or am I? ;)

Now you're talkin'... it's ok to dream as long as you're dreaming big :D

theothegreat21
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I thought he was a good player in high school and loved that fact that he was a passionate Zag fan. I've always been open about the fact that I prefer Northwest kids (especially Zag diehards) and the fact that it is important to keep recruiting ties open in the Portland and Seattle areas. We should be very competitive in these areas and I feel we've become very irrelevant.

If we are comparing stats:

Brad Tinsley
08/09 31.0 11.0 2.5 2.8 1.34 .419 .824 .411
09/10 27.4 6.9 2.6 3.0 1.35 .417 .762 .300

Demetri Goodson
08/09 13.4 3.8 1.3 1.6 1.59 .540 .647 .250
09/10 25.9 6.7 1.6 1.9 1.03 .448 .552 .105

Grant Gibbs
08/09 - Reshirt
09/10 14.0 2.4 2.4 1.0 1.17 .444 .357 .308

Yes, I'd be happy with PG stats like this from Brad Tinsley as a Zag this year. Goodson and Gibbs are our guards from this class and I support them, but there is nothing to frown upon with Tinsley's play in the SEC.

Maybe its just me, but it really scares me to see that Tinsley's stats have fallen-off after his freshman year. I think it would be much better to compare these guys after Meech/Grant has had a 1 1/2 seasons worth of starting and playing time. I think if we were to look at any 08' guard that we pursued hard, it would be Jordan Theodore. Theodore is averaging 8.2 points and 3.2 assists at Seton Hall. However, I still believe that Meech is the best of the bunch, and if you just going to examine things with statistics (which tell 1/2 of the story) then you will probably be disappointed by what Meech brings to the table.

ZagAddict
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Maybe its just me, but it really scares me to see that Tinsley's stats have fallen-off after his freshman year. I think it would be much better to compare these guys after Meech/Grant has had a 1 1/2 seasons worth of starting and playing time. I think if we were to look at any 08' guard that we pursued hard, it would be Jordan Theodore. Theodore is averaging 8.2 points and 3.2 assists at Seton Hall. However, I still believe that Meech is the best of the bunch, and if you just going to examine things with statistics (which tell 1/2 of the story) then you will probably be disappointed by what Meech brings to the table.

No use in comparing stats any longer on guards from the '08 class, we have Goodson and Gibbs as our guards. Both Goodson and Gibbs will be part of the rotation for years to come.

BroncoZAG615
01-25-2010, 05:10 PM
No use in comparing stats any longer on guards from the '08 class, we have Goodson and Gibbs as our guards. Both Goodson and Gibbs will be part of the rotation for years to come.

We can compare all we want. Recruiting is a huge part of our success. Is it a problem that we second guess our staff's choices. We're
fans. Looking back and looking ahead is what message boards are all about. What if's are paramount.

ZagAddict
01-25-2010, 05:45 PM
We can compare all we want. Recruiting is a huge part of our success. Is it a problem that we second guess our staff's choices. We're
fans. Looking back and looking ahead is what message boards are all about. What if's are paramount.

Awh, but it gets interpreted as "bashing" current players and I don't want to go down that road. I guess that's where I'm coming from...

I'll try to get this thread back on course: I think LaBradford Franklin would have been a good scoring point guard for GU in 2010, but my impression is that he got tired of waiting on the GU staff and decided to committ to a good program at SDSU. Good luck to LF in the future as an Aztec.

GSL-KID
01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
but the domestic high school kids Dower and Vilarino have had little to no impact this season.

How does one have IMPACT when he is red shirting ????:confused: :confused: :confused:

vandalzag
01-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Dower and Stockton need to redshirt harder than they would have a greater impact.

MickMick
01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Gibbs, Arop, and Villarino will fill in fine. One of the three will certainly make a big jump. (Arop possibly moving other players into the point position)

I don't think there is a magic pill for this. Does anyone really believe the Zags can bring in a new face that will immediately do better?

If you do, then just look out west in Seattle. Gaddy may be great eventually, but his immediate contribution is certainly not big.

Don't get "Gaddy syndrome" thinking that a new guard will suddenly answer all of our problems. Especially since the Zags are loaded with youth (still learning) the position.

ZagAddict
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
How does one have IMPACT when he is red shirting ????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Exactly... redshirting a year = no playing time on the court. Thus NO impact on the court this season for Dower. This will certainly change in the future and I am looking forward to seeing Dower on the court for many years to come. Just not going to happen this year...

SLOZag
01-25-2010, 11:14 PM
The San Diego Union Tribune's website has just posted an article about LaBradford that suggests the Zags did offer LaBradford, but he turned it (and Pitt's offer) down to sign at SDSU:

"Gonzaga and Pittsburgh are among the bigger schools he turned down to commit to the Aztecs."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/26/1s26azhoops/

???

CDC84
01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
LB was just one of the guards that was being evaluated by Few and his staff....in some people's view, being evaluated too much. I have heard absolutely nothing about him being the top priority for the staff. The staff have evaluated that kid off and on for the better part of 3 years, so it wasn't like he was a no brainer to them. I hope it's a decision that doesn't come back to haunt them.

I am not concerned about the status of Gonzaga’s domestic recruiting. What I am concerned about is that the Zags haven’t been able to pull in guards at the level of Matt Bouldin or even Steven Gray in their recent classes. It is becoming very apparent that Gary Bell Jr. might be the single most important recruit GU has pursued in awhile. Especially if GU fails to land a top notch combo guard this spring.

SLOZag
01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
LB was just one of the guards that was being evaluated by Few and his staff ... . I have heard absolutely nothing about him being the top priority for the staff.

CDC: Does this mean you think the San Diego Union Tribune's suggestion that Gonzaga made an offer to Franklin is incorrect? :confused:

CDC84
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
SLOZag = kids have publicly said they've been offered by Gonzaga despite the fact that not one member of the GU staff ever scouted them. Kids can say anything to the press or recruiting services.

I can only report what I have heard, and that is, the Gonzaga staff wasn't settled on any one guy yet. But that was a couple of weeks ago. Things can change.

And for what it's worth, even though I may believe that Gonzaga's college basketball brand name recognition and program status is at another level compared to SDSU right now, and while I'd comfortably bet $100 that Gonzaga would beat the Aztecs for any top 50 recruit from Illinois or Georgia who has no ties to either program, I have no issues with admitting that Gonzaga lost any recruit to a "less than" program because the Zags have certainly grabbed their own share of players who chose the Zags over better programs. I mean, Josh Heytvelt had every program in the country interested in him, but he chose GU for a variety of reasons, including the fact that he wanted to be closer to home.

Kids don't always chose schools based on who's the better program and such. I don't have any issues with LB choosing SDSU over Gonzaga if that is really what went down. But from what I know, I seriously question whether that really went down. It's no biggie. But I am also not going to delude myself into believing that SDSU, or for gosh sakes, the New Mexico Lobos - who have stunk for years prior to this season (my Dad, who works at UNM, has had to suffer way too many years) - are all of a sudden a major force in recruiting. My whole family lives in New Mexico, Colorado and in many other places surrounding those MWC schools, so I have an interest in those schools and root for them to have success. But none of those programs are at GU's level, basketball wise, in college basketball's current landscape.

BobZag
01-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Common logic tells me a Juco makes perfect sense or a Tommy Lloyd special from overseas. Zags need a bridge from Matt/Steven to Kyle/Gary (crossing fingers on Bell). A Juco makes sense. No threat to Bell's recruitment.

U Zig, I Zag
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Dower and Stockton need to redshirt harder than they would have a greater impact.

Not to hard, don't want them to go crimson.

SLOZag
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Zags need a bridge from Matt/Steven to Kyle/Gary (crossing fingers on Bell).

Ditto on Wiltjer!