PDA

View Full Version : Unearthing Another High Quality Coach with Gonzaga Roots

SLOZag
01-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Utah State head coach Stew Morrill just became the 73rd D-I head coach to reach 500 career wins. Fine and dandy. But what I didn't realize was that Coach Morrill has significant Gonzaga roots. Perhaps this article will be news to some others (besides me) on this board:

"Morrill began his coaching career at Gonzaga — where he finished his college playing career after spending his first two years at Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho — as an assistant after playing professionally in Europe. He even interviewed for the head job at his alma-mater at the tender age of 25.

“I wasn’t ready, probably wasn’t at 33 when I got one,” Morrill said recently.

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2010/01/24/sports/sports01-01-24-10.txt

Not getting the Gonzaga head job, Morrill joined the staff of Mike Montgomery at Montana. He would get his first head job in 1987, taking over when Montgomery left Missoula.

Morrill spent the first five seasons of his head coaching career at Montana, where he recorded 97 wins with the Grizzlies and 52 setbacks. He moved on to Colorado State, where he picked up wins No. 100 in his sixth season as a head coach and 200 in his 12th season. Morrill spent seven years in Fort Collins, guiding the Rams to a 121-86 mark during that time.

Since the fall of 1998, he has called Logan home when he took over at USU ... ."

fedwayzag
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
He coached at a GU b-ball camp when I was a 8th grader. Guess I am getting old.