PDA

View Full Version : FT Rewind

TacomaZAG
01-23-2010, 06:14 PM
I've been watching the Zags every year since 1971 and I don't think there has ever been a poorer FT shooting team in that almost 40 year span. 65% as a team is a disgrace, even more so if you take Matt and Steven out of that average.

This is going to kill us come March.

Go ZAGS

ZagLawGrad
01-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Troubling..no doubt

GoZAGsMang
01-23-2010, 06:27 PM
weak weak weak

GoZAGsMang

JokerZag
01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I think it's a sign we've made it to the next level. Very few final four caliber teams shoot FTs particularily well. I'm not concerned.

TacomaZAG
01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I hope you're right, I guess we'll see..........

The thing that worries me is the fact that most games in the dance are grinders, more low scoring affairs than track meets, especially after the first game and even more so after the first weekend. That puts the spotlight even more on FT's as the deciding factor as the dance progresses.

I'm not as worried about the end of the game, when we can ge the ball to Matt or Steven and wait to get fouled. I'm talking about the cumlative effect throughout the game. For example, if we shoot 24 FT's in a game, 67% says we make 16, 75% says we make 18. Those two points are critical in the kind of grinders I'm referring to.

That is the only glaring weakness I'm seeing. The team is really clicking on offense, with the 3-headed monster of Matt, Elias, and Steven really playing well.

Go ZAGS

bartruff1
01-24-2010, 05:57 AM
It kinda like putting....kicking FG....catching pop ups...etc.... instead of reacting instinctively you have time to think about failing and being embarrassed . I bet I dropped more pop ups than line drives. If you watch a 14 year old putt, they are completely relaxed and confident as opposed to mostly older golfers that have the yipps (so painful to watch you have to look away). Tiger is absolutely the best putter I have ever seen, every putt he hits is just looking for the hole, he is confident he will make the putt, not scared he will miss. DR was the same with free throws, some how he had mastered the mental aspect of the shot. If a poor or average ft shooter makes their first fts then they gain confidence and relax.. if not.. it can be like flop sweat. I don't believe it is a lack of effort or practice or that they don't care... likely they care too much. There is a reason, opposing coaches call time outs, to give the shooter time to think . I don't remember seeing a poor ft shooting team get consistently or significantly better but they can have good games. I think Wilt made more than a seasons worth of fts in that 100 point game. I think what we see is what we are going to get and I just hope every game that they get off to a good start and make their first few cuz even watching someone else miss can have a negative effect ....

Zag 77
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
:lmao:

str8plankton
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
hey tacomazag,
you
are wrong
Joes drunk, thinks he's the older brother.

Ezag
01-25-2010, 12:00 AM
I think if the Zags can shoot 100% every game, the free throw problem won't be a problem.

Crazy
01-25-2010, 01:35 AM
65% as a team is a disgrace, even more so if you take Matt and Steven out of that average.

This is going to kill us come March.

Go ZAGS

maybe take some other guys out of the average and you are happy again ;)

CDC84
01-25-2010, 08:43 AM
We can complain all we want, but we might as well face the facts....this is a bad foul shooting team, it's a team weakness, and it is never going to change this season. The Zags are just going to have to enter every game assuming they are 10-12 points behind. I don't see a way out of it. Aside from a couple of guys, they are just bad foul shooters. Such is life.

Personally, I am 15x more concerned about the defense right now. The Zags right now are defending worse than any team they've had since the 2005/06 team. They are currently ranked at 83 in adjusted defensive efficiency at kenpom.com.