PDA

View Full Version : A Kinda Sorta Moral Question re: Duke

BobZag
01-23-2010, 09:50 AM
If Duke loses tonight at Clemson by, say, 10+ points, that will make two losses in a row by double-digits. If Gonzaga wins against LMU tonight...

Should the Zags be ranked ahead of Duke in lieu of the utter trouncing Duke put on Gonzaga in MSG?

roxdoc
01-23-2010, 09:53 AM
NO - head to head is fair. But maybe we will have a chance to correct that a little later on:D

FuManShoes
01-23-2010, 09:57 AM
How can the Dookies be so inconsistent? Has someone talked about benching Coach K?

Duke looked like a top 5 team when they put a beat down on the Zags. It still mystifies me how that team could dominate this team like that, but alas, what is done is done. Part of me wants a chance for the Zags to redeem themselves and a bigger part of me hopes we never face Duke again because the Zags seem to have no confidence against that team.

As for your question, the Zags shouldn't move up much at all until they beat Memphis and/or again sweep Portland and St Mary's.

ZagMan in Philly
01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
in basketball it is what have you done lately? People tend to forget what happened a few weeks ago. So, If Duke loses today, and we win impressively than yes, we should nudge ahead. I got a feeling we will meet up with them again this year to settle the score on the court. Go Zags!

Colbyspapa
01-23-2010, 10:00 AM
This is a hard question. One game does not make a season, but we were embarrassed by Duke. They played their best game and we played our worst. If you look at our losses, they are all to good teams. No one but us expected us to beat Michigan State, Elias was ejected againts Wake, and Duke is a great team/program. Duke's losses aren't as pretty as ours. They have lost to teams that in my opinion aren't as good as they are.

Rankings have to be over a body of work in my opinion. However, you rank a team to decide who would be a favorite if they play and there is no way GU would be a favorite over Duke if matched up today or any other day this year.

I say it is ok to rank us higher. I take the body of work argument over the individual game ranking.

jazzdelmar
01-23-2010, 10:35 AM
its not in stone that winning raises ur rankings......dont be shocked to see the Zags even dip a place or 2, depending on quality wins by teams behind.....10 is way high and no, GU shld not be ahead of Dook....Philly, u the man but "impressively" over LMU, c'mon......

U Zig, I Zag
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I will say yes to the Zags being ranked ahead of Duke because this means that ALL of Duke's loses are on the road (making them 0-4 on the road) even if they lose by only 1. MSG is a home game for Duke in most everybody's mind. GU is 4-1 on the road. Most teams have 1 bad game a season. I don't know many people that would think the Zags would lose that bad again right now.

The road record will be in the minds of all the experts as well. If that occurs they should be ranked between 15-20 in my opinion.

Goodman and maybe Andy Katz had brought that up as well, Duke doesn't play well on the road.

Duke loses on the road and we win, we may move up past them... though isn't in our best interest that they win? We don't play Clemson, but we played Duke.

I do like listening to the announcers talk about Duke wins, 'Gonzaga...'

We are big time! (even if we lost terribly).

Kiddwell
01-23-2010, 12:08 PM
The Zags at this stage of the season shouldn't be ranked higher than Duke. The Dookies vaporized us. <Kiddwell still gets dizzy thinking about that vaporization.>

:[

ZagMan in Philly
01-23-2010, 12:23 PM
its not in stone that winning raises ur rankings......dont be shocked to see the Zags even dip a place or 2, depending on quality wins by teams behind.....10 is way high and no, GU shld not be ahead of Dook....Philly, u the man but "impressively" over LMU, c'mon......

impressively = win 30+, LMU went to ND and got a win didn't they?

WccSoph
01-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Just a outside somewhat nuetral observation. Call me dumb, but Matt B. was coming off of his head injury and he did not look very well in the Duke Game. I know injurys shouldn't be used as major excuses but watching the game he still looked sub-par and he is what makes the Zag's tick ESPECIALLY against top 10 teams.It is one game for you guys that I think the results would have been different,even if you lost I believe it would have been a much closer game.

As far as the polls,I think they are about as acurate as can be with all the BSC schools knocking each other off at this time of year.

MickMick
01-23-2010, 12:37 PM
How can the Dookies be so inconsistent? Has someone talked about benching Coach K?

Duke looked like a top 5 team when they put a beat down on the Zags. It still mystifies me how that team could dominate this team like that, but alas, what is done is done. Part of me wants a chance for the Zags to redeem themselves and a bigger part of me hopes we never face Duke again because the Zags seem to have no confidence against that team.

As for your question, the Zags shouldn't move up much at all until they beat Memphis and/or again sweep Portland and St Mary's.

Duke didn't play like a top 10 team against Gonzaga. Gonzaga played like a Division 2 team against Duke.

It really is that simple.

dim4sum
01-23-2010, 01:17 PM
The Duke game was at a neutral site, MSG--thast's something that can't be brushed aside lightly in configuring the rankings, even though it was far and away their best game of the season and far and away our worse. Another drawback was that the game was played in Duke's time zone, resulting in no screwups in their circadian body rhythms. The pros seem to roll with that a lot easier. Not so much at the college level. Another big blowout with the Zags on the short end could occur against that scheduling nightmare from hell when the Zags break up league play for a meaningless game against Memphis in Memphis.

ZagMan in Philly
01-23-2010, 01:27 PM
we may jump over Kansas state if we win and they are losing at home to OKLa St.