PDA

View Full Version : LMU Openining Line: Deja Vu

Angelo Roncalli
01-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Zags -24

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

d2zag
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Man, these are way too big of spreads. They don't realize that every team tries harder against us, and end up playing the game of their lives, even though they still lose. -24 is just way too big. What I'm saying is that other WCC teams are really, really tough (when they're playing us) lol

EngineerZag
01-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Hmmm ... or do we sometimes "play down" a little bit? Maybe it's both ...

IronLions
01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
We just lost to Portland by 40. I'm not too sure what team is going to show up. Drew Viney was out vs. SF and SCU but is back. JD our starting SG was in the hospital due to dehydration. He actually passed out for awhile on the flight up to Portland.
Our starting center hurt his leg second half vs. Portland...not sure of his status.

Welcome to LMU basketball. ;)

zagfan08
01-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Gonzaga to cover, not much doubt in my mind. They'll be fired up after a poor game yesterday.

zagsfanforlife
01-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Malastein,
All serious LMU fans including Iron lions knew it was time for Tention to leave. He was recruiting consistent D2 level talent, could not pull any local kids, and was not a good in game coach. After he left every one of those players were cut from the team. 1 player went to a D1 school (UCSB) and the rest went to D2 and most went to D3 schools. That just shows you what kind of talent he was bringing in. If you cant get the horses, you can't compete. He might have been an okay coach, but no okay coach can win D1 basketball with D2 and D3 players. Everyone at LMU knew it was time for Tention to be shown the door.

Sarenyon
01-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I got a hunch that they cover this time. I knew there was no way they would cover the last one and if I was forced to, I would have bet against them... good that I bet on sports very rarely because I hate betting against the Zags... but no doubt in my mind about tonights game.

(2night 4 me, its 1am and I'm doing the middle of the night feeding, typing with one hand... actually love this time in their lives :) )

bartruff1
01-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Hmmm ... or do we sometimes "play down" a little bit? Maybe it's both ... It is human nature to not give a 100% effort if you are pretty sure 80% will do the job...likely the result of millions (?) of years of evolutionary natural selection...makes no sense to expend all that precious energy and risk injury when it is not necessary... not prudent. On the other hand, if you are trying to "survive" as a reserve and get some playing time...that is a different story than winning the game. I wouldn't bet this game ...I suspect they will win but only by 10-15 points unless the shots are really falling or LMU just gives up early...unlike Pepperdine ....

ronh_pm
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't bet this game ...I suspect they will win but only by 10-15 points unless the shots are really falling or LMU just gives up early...unlike Pepperdine ....

Even though the line has now dropped to -20.5 I agree with not betting this one. The Pepperdine game was a "no brainer let down game" after going 3-0 on the road and especially with the "injury" factor, there was no way they were going to cover.

This one, you don't know what Few is going to do. He seemed fairly peeved after last games defensive performance so they may be in shutdown mode against a clearly inferior LMU team which would make you think they will cover.

On the other hand the bench may see significant minutes which could make this tighter than it could be on both ends of the court.

Too many variables that are unknown. I think if I was going to do anything, which I am not, I would bet the under 157.

Zagpower
01-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Gonzaga to cover, not much doubt in my mind. They'll be fired up after a poor game yesterday.

I like that, too. The one piece of info that we have that the nation at large doesn't is the rear-chewing the boys received after last game.
Combine that with the second of back to back road games for LMU, and it should be a blowout.

Doesn't make sense that the line for LMU is 4 less than it was for a 3-0 Pepp team. GU is -20 on Bodog.

The one thing that might make me hesitate is other than the 40 point loss at Portland, LMU has played close games all year. They won at Notre Dame and I believe all but 2 other losses have been by single digits.

Still, like the Zags with the arse-chew being the deciding factor. Not exactly scientific. :D

ronh_pm
01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Lions are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games as an underdog of 13.0 or greater.
Lions are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games as a road underdog of 13.0 or greater.
Lions are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
Lions are 6-1-1 ATS in their last 8 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.

On the other hand

Bulldogs are 7-1-1 ATS in their last 9 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
Bulldogs are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
Bulldogs are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 vs. West Coast.
Bulldogs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a S.U. win.
Bulldogs are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games as a favorite.

Tough one to cap. Best of luck to all playing this one.

Kiddwell
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
We just lost to Portland by 40. I'm not too sure what team is going to show up. Drew Viney was out vs. SF and SCU but is back. JD our starting SG was in the hospital due to dehydration. He actually passed out for awhile on the flight up to Portland.
Our starting center hurt his leg second half vs. Portland...not sure of his status.

Welcome to LMU basketball. ;)

A tough series of bad breaks for the Lions, Iron. Hope everyone is up and running for the season's remainder. Good luck the rest of the way (plus, with LMU recruiting).

'Fraid tonighty the Zags are gonna pound your boys. <No disrespect meant.> Here's some salve: Very nice wins over USC, ND.

:]

IronLions
01-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Tention just didn't bring in the level of players we needed. We really could use Ashley, Larry and jarred tonight. Let's see how we do the start of the second half. It is usually were we mess up.