PDA

View Full Version : Over-analyzing and over-thinking a recruit

BobZag
04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Fitz used to tell the story of SCU's recruitment of Kurt Rambis. When he, Dick Davey and the staff first saw Rambis they loved him. The second time they scouted him they loved what they saw. Then with every following visit to watch Rambis they started nitpicking the guy, started to find more and more faults with him, until they flat fell out of love with the future NBA champion.

But finally, just barely, they took Rambis. And the rest is history. But they damn near blew it by over-analyzing and over-thinking the kid.

I hope Gonzaga doesn't over-analyze and over-think Tinsley.

cggonzaga
04-24-2007, 03:23 PM
In other words Bob, it's not looking like the staff is going to offer? ;)

BobZag
04-24-2007, 04:58 PM
In other words Bob, it's not looking like the staff is going to offer? ;)

I have no idea.

brasszag
04-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I think what he's trying to say is that while Tinsley's game has flaws, he's got greatness writ large enough that you can't see it unless you look at the big picture...

Correct?

Zagquette
04-25-2007, 06:39 AM
If I remember correctly, Tinsley said in an interview last year that he wanted to be a Zag. Is that still the case now that he is getting more attention?

Why not offer the guy? It sounds like we could have this one wrapped up if we wanted to.

Peace

gamagin
04-25-2007, 06:55 AM
<< Fitz used to tell the story of SCU's recruitment of Kurt Rambis. When he, Dick Davey and the staff first saw Rambis they loved him. The second time they scouted him they loved what they saw. Then with every following visit to watch Rambis they started nitpicking the guy, started to find more and more faults with him, until they flat fell out of love with the future NBA champion.>>

Fitz may have one of the best such stories he could tell on himself in this area. He recruited John Stockton after John was about to go to Montana and after he was rejected by WSU. He can honestly say JS came to GU because of him. Because he promised him he would remain at GU and coach him throughout the entire four years.

BUT, that didn't happen. Larry Koentopp, the AD & baseball coach, announced he was leaving to head up the local ownership of the AAA Spokane Indians professional baseball team. Fitz wanted Koentopp's job. And he got it.

Many thought he would coach basketball and be AD (which he eventually did) but not during Stockton's tenure. Jay Hillock, Fitz' assistant, had the honor instead.

So how many coaches can say they recruited one of if not THE best point guard in the history of basektball and then didn't stay on as his coach ?

Only one person.

In fitz' defense, I believe he regrets that.

I also think it is more than fair to note that Fitz helped Stock immeasurably after he was drafted, in the gym and with assistants, each and every summer, for years, as he worked out, practiced and drilled and scrimmaged in K1 during the off season.

And Stockton has been a behind-the-scenes coach and cheerleader for the Zags, ever since, as well.

But in the history books and in the annals of Gonzaga University, Fitz will not be officially mentioned as the great Stockton's coach because he wasn't.
If there is an asterisk to Fitz' tenure someday in Gonzaga's story, it might add: "but he should have been."

Zag79
04-26-2007, 12:08 AM
its not like if he didnt pan out the staff couldnt usher him along anyway...