PDA

View Full Version : Arop vs Kong

gum797
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Anyone have the inside scoop of why Few goes back and forth on who is getting PT? Is anything happening in practice that is dictating this or is he just going by mathups of the opponents. I love both those guys, but I wish the rotation was nailed down by now. I love Few's decision to take Meech out at the end of the game for his free throw liabilities. That should make the end of games a little less interesting for us.

U Zig, I Zag
01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
No inside scoop here, sorry.

My educated guess is that they are both alternatives and he is leaving in Matt, Steven and Harris to hold the fort (and any combination thereof).

I like the play of both guys. I think Kong is more of a sniper that has some good perimeter defensive skills (I think he is doing well, personally) and Manny is all about hustle and with his nose for the ball he is a good choice for the end of the game. He is not gonna get burned on D easily but he can go down low for a critical board.

FT's might of had something to do with it, I don't know. I have resigned to believe we will not win a tight one unless Matt or Steven are shooting the FT's. After that they are all liabilities in that regard (generalizing here, sorry).

Nevtelen
01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I think Kong was getting the nod previously because of his size and his scoring ability. Now that his scoring has cooled way down the past several games (though his D is a lot better) I see Few going more with Manny for his hustle/rebounding.

hooter73
01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Only thing I know is that in two years those two will be a force. Need some summer camps and another year of D1 at speed but in two years they will both be alot of fun to watch.

CanadianZagFan
01-22-2010, 06:13 AM
They bring two different approaches to the game. Kong to me seems like a forward and Arop is more of a guard, although a great rebounding guard.

Kong is a spot up shooter who is finding his way, Arop is a hustle player who gets after.

gamagin
01-22-2010, 08:03 AM
because they seem to be moved in an out before settling into a rhythm. OTOH, maybe they are pulled because they failed to get into the rhythm. I don't know.

I assume Manny is sent in to bring some height and D & Bol is brought in to shoot.

Bol vs. Pepp clearly got lost in the offensive rotation, often winding up, for e.g., standing with MB or SG instead of spreading out. He was lost. It was awkward. He sat down.

Manny is a lot more fluid on the floor and is much more aggressive under the rim at both ends. I'm not sure, however, if he is in position, either. If RS were guarding his space, Manny would likely be less needed underneath, for e.g. thus the confusion.

So it's a matter of time and p.t., and practice before they do all this naturally, imo.

The real challenge to these guys seems to be getting enough time on the floor during a game to work those kinks out. I guess that is the crisis and the opportunity for everyone, including the coaches.

Hopefully we will see more confidence and teamwork during the weaker part of the schedule. I'd also like to see big Will get a full 6-7 minutes. He seems ready but the only way to find out is to give him time.

Go TEAM Zags !