PDA

View Full Version : Roster and Recruiting

Mr Vulture
01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
I have been wondering lately what is going on with the recruiting side of things because it doesn't seem like there is nearly as much information on this as there used to be. I noticed the recruiting table is still from September so I wondered if any of you in the know have an idea of what we are looking at.

From my count, we should have 3 scholarships open for next season with the graduation of Matt, Foster, and the transfer of Poling. I know that we will have Dower coming off of redshirt...which I think will be great as I think he will develop into a solid player. However, the only guy I know of that is coming in would be Draginis which would fill the scholarship slot of Steven Gray in 2011.

I guess my question is, are we just passing on bringing anyone in this year since we are so loaded with underclassmen and focusing on 2011 or are there still guys we are on for 2010? I know at one time they were high on Gary Bell Jr....is he still being considered?

Any information would be appreciated...thanks!

BobZag
01-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Looking for a 2010 guard who is a shooter/scorer.

Definitely Absolutely on Bell, Jr., as in Hell Yeah.

Colbyspapa
01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
We will in all probability lose Harris and Sacre in the next two years. Harris could be gone this year. We are loaded with guards with the incoming Draganis and possibly Bell, Meech, GJ, GG, Arop, Bol, Kelly. We are set for a while and will have Steven next year. We need BIGS. We need BIGS that like to bang. We need BIGS that like to band and get 15 rebounds a game. We need BIGS .....

You get the point.

DADoZAG
01-21-2010, 09:50 AM
We need BIGS .....

+ Infinity

Go ZAGS!

BroncoZAG615
01-21-2010, 09:53 AM
We will in all probability lose Harris and Sacre in the next two years. Harris could be gone this year. We are loaded with guards with the incoming Draganis and possibly Bell, Meech, GJ, GG, Arop, Bol, Kelly. We are set for a while and will have Steven next year. We need BIGS. We need BIGS that like to bang. We need BIGS that like to band and get 15 rebounds a game. We need BIGS .....

You get the point.

They're will be a big in 2011. The staff was initially looking at a big in the 2010 class but, to be totally honest, there really wasn't a lot of talent in this cycle. We really evaluated guys like Yannick Atanga and Darrell Williams but they just didn't work out.

I tend to disagree about Robert leaving early. I don't feel like money is a huge issue for his family, he seems to love college, and he could use plenty of development. I still think Elias will be here as a sophomore and don't sleep on him possibly staying until he's a junior. He gets away with a lot of his offensive issues because he is so athletic but his ticket to a successful stay at the next level relies on the development of his outside shot.

Samuel and Kelly will also be solid bigs and hopefully Olynyk can move out to the wing at some point. Bol will also be able to help at forward as well. We absolutely need a big in 2011 but I don't think we need to press the panic button in 2010 or compromise in 2011. Got to hit that class out of the park.

Nevtelen
01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Rob has improved tremendously, but there is almost no way he doesn't finish his time at GU IMO. I don't think we need to worry about him leaving any time soon. As for bigs, we have Sacre, Harris (agreed he probably won't graduate, but I'm hoping for 1 more year), Olynyk, and Dower.

As for guards, we have Gray for 1 more season, Gibbs, Meech, GJ... Arop and Kong are really more wings (though they're part of the backcourt rotation, granted). So I can see the desire for a guard in this upcoming class. Besides, any 2010 big who is good enough to seriously help the program is gone by now. The recruiting for bigs is hopefully focused on transfers and 2011 and beyond.

Edit: BroncoZAG beat me to it! Great minds think alike, I guess...

BobZag
01-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I tend to disagree about Robert leaving early. I don't feel like money is a huge issue for his family, he seems to love college, and he could use plenty of development. I still think Elias will be here as a sophomore and don't sleep on him possibly staying until he's a junior. He gets away with a lot of his offensive issues because he is so athletic but his ticket to a successful stay at the next level relies on the development of his outside shot.

Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth. Rob will be here till he has no eligibility left, and Elias for at least another year, quite possibly two. Both have much work to do.

DADoZAG
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
They're will be a big in 2011. ..I don't think we need to press the panic button in 2010 or compromise in 2011.

…any 2010 big who is good enough to seriously help the program is gone by now…

Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth. Rob will be here till he has no eligibility left, and Elias for at least another year, quite possibly two. Both have much work to do.

My concern over Sacre leaving early started from a conversation with a ZAG player from last year now being paid to play (oh, what a dream for us all). HIS expectation was for Sacre to leave after THIS year. Perhaps his assessment might be adjusted due to how this year has played out so far. But in looking at the upper half of the glass, I think Rob (along with Elias) takes the rest of this year, this coming summer, and next year, and takes us all on a Star Trek adventure…

No offense to Dower, everyone else mentioned above is a 3 or 4 at best, but I’m thinking BIG, a real center, 6’11 and 270+. Perhaps you’re right and there is no such manbeast available. And, as we all know, the staff knows best. I’d just like to see someone come in next year in prep for 2011-12, when I think we’ll really need him.

I will be very happy to be wrong, and show’d up by staff, BZ, and all the others that know so much more than I.

Go ZAGS!

WallaWallaZag
01-21-2010, 11:26 AM
No offense to Dower, everyone else mentioned above is a 3 or 4 at best, but I’m thinking BIG, a real center, 6’11 and 270+. Perhaps you’re right and there is no such manbeast available.
Go ZAGS!

dadozag -- anyone this size with any skill or athleticism in their body is a 5 star recruit ala josh smith...this is college we're talking about, not the nba. 90% of the teams don't have a true center...we're lucky to have big rob as it is, though he's been a little disappointing on the boards so far.

DADoZAG
01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
dadozag -- anyone this size with any skill or athleticism in their body is a 5 star recruit ala josh smith...this is college we're talking about, not the nba. 90% of the teams don't have a true center...we're lucky to have big rob as it is, though he's been a little disappointing on the boards so far.

There have been numerous posts and even full threads about getting to the next level, into the Final Four, winning a National Championship. We’ve heard Few talk about what HE wants. I believe what HE wants is what WE want.

I’m not degrading are disrespecting any recruit the ZAGS have on their radar. These are top quality young men, players that will carry on the tradition and be great players. They will be, if they chose to be, a future part of the history of “Guard U.”

I just believe, as some others may believe, that the next level, …that first but not the last Final Four appearance, …that initial venture onto the stage on the first Monday of April, …will include the play of a top quality center.

Yes, I’m a dreamer. So shoot me.

Go ZAGS!

NovaZag
01-21-2010, 01:04 PM

You get the point.

I agree. It doesn't make sense to add yet another guard in 2010, especially if the staff has their sights on Bell, already signed Draganis. Harris staying for his Junior year seems unlikely at this point, so that leaves only 3 post players in Sacre, Dower, and Olynyk. From what I understand, the Wiltjer kid is capable of playing down low (assuming he puts on some weight), so if we were lucky enough to sign him, that would help. I realize that finding a quality big guy is difficult, but the lack of frontcourt depth is concerning.

BroncoZAG615
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I would like to sign a solid combo guard this year
Then Dranginis, Bell, Wiltjer, and some kind of juco big in 2011 if available.

I'd love to see a little more skilled Kuso type player come in and fill that juco 2011 recruit. Just hit the boards, work hard, and provide quality minutes in the post to help Rob during his senior year.

I realize I'm currently one scholarship over the limit in 2011, but at this point I think we'll have four scholly's for 2011.

Colbyspapa
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I appreciate the comments in this thread but I will say that Kelly O's position is a small forward or a 3. He will play in the NBA and he will not play in the front court. He has tremendous guard skills.

Elias is blowing up right now. I saw the comments his Mom made about how they are planning on Elias getting his degree, and that is great, but if he averages a double double the rest of the year and in the tournament, he will not only be WCC POY, he will give John Wall a run for Freshman of the year. When that happens, the NBA will come calling this year. I would love to have him back for at least another year, but the better he plays, the less likely it is. We have to wish the best for him because he is earning it every game he plays.

I will recind my comments about Rob. After Michigan State, I thought he was gone this year, but Rob has stopped banging, stopped rebounding and stopped scoring. Yes he is getting a lot of attention on the scouting report, but to play in the NBA, he needs to thrive on that attention and get his stats. He needs to be relavant and compete. So I think we get him another year and possibly two unless there is a drastic change in his performance. His teammates are feeding the post half as much as they did at the start of the year and when they do, it is to Elias 2/3 of the time. My favorite quote about Rob was from him earlier on the Mark Few Show.

"I'm here to beat people up down low." That is the mentality that he needs to get back.

Bottom line, with Draganis coming in and possibly Gary Bell (I'm hoping), they need a big right away. If not next year, then we need two bigs for 2011.

Crazy
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
i think to recruit a big who could participate, isn't just because Elias is potentially leaving i think it is also usefull if you want to keep him - because what he needs is (game)practice as a three. And he is on college to develop his game(and not so much for the degree), so he should see a future there.

For KO maybe the different way is intresting, he has the guards skills and the size for a big but if he develop an Inside game i think this versatility with his size would make him more valuable. So i think it would be good for him to get the time in the post.

ZagNative
01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
FWIW, one of the stories about Dan Fitzgerald, by Frank Burlison, of the Long Beach Press Telegram, mentioned that Dan Munson had learned about Dan's passing in a phone call from his father while he was driving back from a HS game with Ray Giacoletti, presumably in the SoCal area. Whose game do you suppose they watched? Within an hour's drive of Long Beach, give or take half an hour or so:

2010 Kendall Williams, 6'2" CG guard, Rancho Cucumonga
2010 LaBradford Franklin, 6'1" PG, Temecula
2010 Jordin Mayes, 6'2" PG, LA
2011 Jonathan Davis, 6'7" PF, Simi Valley

Or? Is that tricky devil up to mischief we don't know about?

Someone was supposedly also headed back to Illinois this week to check out 2010 6'3 PG Brandon Dunson in Mt. Carmel, IL

I didn't check to see where the prospects listed above were playing whle Ray was in So Cal.