• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Poling chooses Seattle Pacific

Serving the Inland Northwest since 1883. Spokesman.com provides breaking and in-depth coverage of Spokane area news, sports and community.

Former Gonzaga forward Andy Poling has decided to transfer to Seattle Pacific University. “I just think it should be a really good fit,” Poling said in a telephone interview from his home in Portland. “I really liked the coaching staff, they’re all really good guys and the team is really competitive, top 15 (in NCAA Division II) right now. I lived in Seattle until I was 9 or 10. It’s a great city and it’s a little closer to home. My family can come watch me and it’s a smaller school, and I really liked that about Gonzaga.”
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Excellent school with a great campus and great D-II tradition; they are in the top-flight of D-II almost every year. I believe that Andy will get three full seasons of eligibility as well.

SPU is ranked #15 this year.

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• gamagin
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

win-win

Best of luck, Andy !
      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• sittingon50
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Tear 'em up, Andy.
        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

Can he transfer to a Div I school in a year without sitting out if he chooses to?

Comment

• xjzico
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

Think that's just for JUCOs.

Welcome back to Seattle Andy.
            We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Comment

• webspinnre
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Interesting choice, but I'm sure he'll do well. As others have mentioned, great school, nice location, and tons of playing time. With him I'm sure they'll continue to be at the top of D-II.
              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• ronh_pm
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2009

Good for him. Glad he has landed on his feet so quickly. A school I photogrpah for is joing the GNAC next semester so I will be sure to get some shots of him.

Comment

• zagfan08
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Saw Andy on his recruiting visit there, seemed like a good fit for him. Best of luck to him, he should be in a position to put up some good numbers.

Comment

• NontradZag
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Apr 2008

Having attended SPU for a brief time while Ken Bone was coaching there, the basketball that Andy will be enjoying is top notch. Besides soccer, basketball has a lot of community and student support, much like Gonzaga. Games are well attended and the crowd gets into the action.

Great education, atmosphere and location. Great choice Andy!
                    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

A good, intelligent, mature choice. SPU is a national title contender. He wouldn't get that at D1.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZigZagSoCal
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Good luck Andy!!!

Thanks for choosing the Zags as your first choice. We will miss your potential.
                        "There is a time when panic is the appropriate response." Eugene Kleiner

Comment

• MickMick
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

Andy will tear that league up. I expect he will dominate that division.

He really is a division one level player.
                          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• zag67
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

So, can anyone answer the question about playing next year? I also thought that when you transferred from a D1 to a D2, then you can play that year. Thanks.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                              Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                              • Feb 2007

He won't play this year. My understanding is that Andy won't begin classes at SPU until the Spring quarter, after basketball season is over.
                              You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

Working...
                              X