PDA

View Full Version : You be the selection committee...

Bogozags
01-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Who would you select as the top 16 teams and where would you seed them?

First, I came across an interesting site and there is a very good chance that most of you are aware of it BUT on the chance you are not here it is…

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

This is a site that lists 50 different bracket scenarios and most are based on selecting teams on their performance to date.

Thought I’d take the speculation one step beyond by looking at the schedules of the top teams in each conference and “speculating” where they might fall in conference play. So my top 16 and where I seed is strictly subjective from “my eyes.”

1 Seeds: UK Syracuse Duke Kansas

2 Seeds Villanova Texas Pitt MSU

3 Seeds KSU Ohio State Gonzaga WVU

4 Seeds Georgia Tech Purdue Tennessee BYU

I have watched these teams play several times which is why I selected them.

UK might lose one or two games but felt they would win both their division and conference tournament. I also do not believe Tennessee will be able to maintain its current standing and will lose two to three more games in conference and give them the benefit of the doubt to finish second in the conference tournament BUT that 4th seed could very easily go to either Mississippi schools or Vanderbilt.

The BE is truly a difficult conference to figure up to this point, but feel the overall play, talent and success on the road made me pick them to win the conference tournament. Both Villanova and Pitt are quality teams and have proven they can win big conference games on the road, which is why they are both 2 seeds. I pick WVU to finish fourth in conference play, with Georgetown losing six more games before tournament play.

Duke will win the ACC and if they are also tournament champions, then they will earn a 1 seed and I think either Georgia Tech or Clemson will finish second in conference.

I thought of the different scenarios for the B12 and having seen the top three schools play several times, I picked KU to beat KSU twice and lose to UT @ UT but win the conference tournament.

With Turner back, the selection committee is not going give as much to weight to those Ohio State loses and I pick OSU to finish second in the conference tournament, which warrants a three seed. Purdue has good OOC quality wins but don’t think they will beat MSU twice and will lose two to Ohio State.

The Zags are my 3 seed, because they should go undefeated in conference play, win the tournament and also win at Memphis. The Memphis game is key, because it is another road test. Losing that game will surly drop us to a four seed and a conference loss might well mean a fifth seed. I have seen each WCC team play at least once and most three times and believe our strengths will far outreach our weaknesses. Our OOC schedule has toughened up this team and with the team defense we can play, makes me like our chances taking care of business.

If BYU or Temple should run the table, then they will earn strong consideration for this 4 seed. Yes, I know BYU has not won a tournament game in a thousand years BUT based on watching them, with the right match-up, they might win one this year. Temple is tough too and need to throw out the KU loss just as we throw out our Duke loss.

This is just MHO and no intended slight to any other teams is intended. Just thought this might be kinda fun to see how you’ll “pick your top 16” and seed them.

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2010, 09:35 AM
i believe we absolutely have to run the table to get a 3 seed...even then, i could see us staying a 4 which is where most have us projected right now. memphis is a must win and it would be nice if they also won conf-usa again after we beat them.

FlyZag
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
WOW, surprised to see that 2 of those brackets had the Zags as a 7 seed. One of them is a reputable site too (realtimerpi.com).. Shocking. Without a complete colapse I just can't see Gonzaga as a 7 seed. I think they just lost some credibility with me.

Bogozags
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
WOW, surprised to see that 2 of those brackets had the Zags as a 7 seed. One of them is a reputable site too (realtimerpi.com).. Shocking. Without a complete colapse I just can't see Gonzaga as a 7 seed. I think they just lost some credibility with me.

My sentiments exactly! At what were they looking??? The only BCS team that appears to have eliminated itself from the Dance is Colorado, the rest still have strong opportunities...IMO.

BobZag
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd echo Bogo's selections. Looks pretty solid.

titopoet
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM

I am not sure what is up with realtimerpi.com, but there are some funny things in it. 5 Pac-10 teams, Kentucky is a 4 seed. I would be more afraid if they had GU higher.

cbbfanatic
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Gu seeding is tough to handicap (for me) largely due to the number of "big" wins they will have in march. The number could vary greatly depending on how past opponents finish, and while this is always the case in january, I feel like there is more volatility than before with GUs banked wins - there is not really a near-sure fire top 25 (end of season) win on the resume right now, but there could be a few by march, if certain teams get it together. Similar is true for top 50 wins. Could be a big-ish number worthy of 3 seed talk, could be a very small number too... Hell, could be zero (very doubtful)

Oklahoma
Illinois
Cincy
Wisconsin
St marys(2/3)
Memphis

These could all be big wins... They could also be sub top 100 rpi wins (prob not wisc or cincy)

I don't think a great w/l record is enough for 3 seed or higher, I think you've gotta have some meat in your wins to get that status.

Its also tough to handicap in january bc gonzagas resume is fairly complete and/or easy to predict and the competition's is not. Most of GU's big games are behind them, not so for the competition.

cjm720
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I wish we had a couple more difficult OOC games scheduled. 1) this Thursday/Saturday scheduling is killing me; 2) it would beef up our schedule; and 3) it would ready us for the Big Dance.

Akzag
01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I have kdaleb, Rubb, Reno, and GPGU as my #1 seeds. :D ;)