PDA

View Full Version : Will Foster

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 01:09 PM
WHAT IS GOING ON????? He's 7'5..... A GAME CHANGER!!!

He went in twice vs. Saint Marry and heled Samhan scoreless.... I have no problem saying he would average 8-10 pts a game, 8-10 rebounds and 4-5 blocks a game!!!!! NOT TO MENTION!!!! he changes any shots in the lane.... whenever he's in the every basket under the basket is contested!!!

I'M SHOCKED Will's playing time has only been talked about one time on TV.... HE'S 7'5"!!!!! Not only is he 7'5".... but he is agile for a 7
5" guy!!!! The only other guy I've seen move that good for his size is in the NBA..... makes me mad when the coaching staff doesnt give this kid PT!!! When was the last time you seen Will go on the court and the other team make a run???? UCONN last year???? NOPE.... SORRY.... MICH STATE THIS YEAR?? NOPE... TRY AGAIN!!!! Fact is..... EVERYBODY on the court is better w/ will on the court. Boldin and Gray become extremely better players w/ foster on the court.... they don't have the explosive moves to get by defenders..... whenever will is in they get a HUGE SCREEN TO USE.... It gives a little room to maneuver. NOBODY can stop Boldin once he's got his hip in front of the defender. Will does a lot of things that arent in the statistics..... sorry had to vent. I just hate to see a kid so talented (for his size)..... on the bench. AND DON'T TELL ME its because he's behind Sacre..... what about Olynik and Gibbs.... Gibbs is the player that kills me on the floor..... VERY SMART PLAYER!!!! VERY SMART!!! but come on.... how much better is Gonzaga going to be at the end of the year w/ Gibbs in the game? PROBABLY NOT BETTER AT ALL!!!! They will be the same team.... the problem w/ Zags teams in the past is they peak at the beginning of the year.... why not give a 7'5" guy that SHOULD BE ON THE COURT A CHANCE..... can you imagine the possibilities????? I CAN..... sorry had to vent. AHhhhhhhh

Once and Future Zag
01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I am only saying that because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

krozman
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I admire your passion in a way, in the same way I admire my son feeling proud he just pooped by himself without help.

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Jeremy, I just counted, and in your name "jeremymccreary" you have 14 letters, but there are only 7 letters of the alphabet that are used in your name. That's not very many for a name having 14 letters.

Then again....gozagswoohoo only has 12 letters in it, and I use 6 different letters of the alphabet.... So nevermind, disregard what I just said.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
was that a compliment? Thank you lol :O)

americasteam
01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
I watched the Saint Mary's game and when Elias Harris went down, I noticed the whole bench was concerned, etc except, it appeared, Will Foster. When they walked him slowly over to the bench, one of the few players who didn't interact or show any kind of concern was Will. He just sat there with his arms crossed, not even really looking over at Elias. I was extremely disappointed when I saw that. I don't think he cares much for the players, team etc. Did anybody else notice this? Or am I reading too much into it?

zag buddy
01-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Jeremy I basically agree with your post about Will.

7ICoug
01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I predict that Will play play professional basketball. If this player had played for George Raveling he would have been the leading center on the team for several years. He has some good skills.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I noticed it..... and same w/ timeouts.....whenever the other team makes a run etc.. no emotion from him. I just wonder why he didnt transfer..... Gonzaga was a horrile fit for him. I can see that point... there are a lot of off court issues him and the coaching staff are dealing with. It would ahve been fare for him to transfer after his soph year..... I dont think he antcipated his minutes declining w/ experience.... especially after everybody graduated.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
It's clear that he doesnt feel part of the team.....

cjm720
01-18-2010, 01:43 PM
A 7'5" kid with some hustle and game changing ability, and overal marginal basketball skills

VS.

Mark Few's 80%+ winning percentage

It's just too easy to come back to Few's winning record. I'm cool with the rotation, as is. From my understanding, WF had the opportunity to RS but declined. It would have given him another year of opportunity.

Go Zags!!!

americasteam
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Yes it's too bad because he definitely adds an extra dimension to our team. Loved some of the things he did at St Mary's and I wondered why he didn't get in at San Diego...then I saw his body language on the bench and I realized there's probably something else going on....

Attitude is a huge part of a team, a great attitude as well as negative attitude. It seems as if it can really effect a team one way or the other. I don't know the coaches personally, but I think attitude is huge for them.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
see that point.... but I'm worked up about it.... and I'm just a fan.... can't imagine whats going through his mind.... I imagine he's letting his emotions get the best of him.... which is understandable for a 21-22 yr. old kid.....

but where are his minutes????? where were his minutes last year.... he never started to have a bad attitude until about 4 or 5 games into the season after receiving no playing time...... that is my question to everybody...... does everybody see there's no talent in him???? wondering if I can see talent or not hahaha.....

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
so if Will will probably go to the NBA for development....... why dont we play him.... and so he can develop faster.... by the end of the season he will be A LOT more developed. We might be looking at a national championship caliber team..... instead of sweet 16.... we have the most potential w/ him playing more..... of course w/ development.

MJ777
01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
I do not have any inside information or a theory of what is or isn't going on with Will's playing time situation. FYI: I always root for Will to get minutes and do well. I wish everyone could play 20 minutes a game, but that would not be a good way to run a basketball team unless every player were equally gifted and necessary to have on the floor to make the team a success.

Below is an article that I posted in a different thread that "might" shed some light on Will and basketball.

"Here is a good story from 2005 on Will's Bball journey when he was a jr in HS.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._ringer21.html

"Will began playing organized basketball at age 9 and enjoyed it, but progressed slowly. Wherever he went, the stares and comments followed.

"It's amazing the things people will say," his mom said.

The most hurtful jabs today often involve basketball.

"People tell me that if I'm not very good at basketball, it would be a waste of my size," Foster said. "If they see me play, some of them say I suck. ... A lot of people make rude remarks, but I deal with it." "

""He's really too hard on himself," Tornow said. "He needs to get out of his own way a little bit and allow himself to do some of the things in games that he does in practice."

Foster has good footwork and can shoot a jump hook with either hand.

During games, though, he is often afraid to make mistakes.

"He has a tremendous amount of pressure on him," said Tornow, who is 6-6. "People say, 'If I was your height, I'd score 100 points every game,' which is not true. It's not that easy to be that tall and get everything coordinated. It's a lot easier being 6-6 to 6-10."""

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
that reminds me of a kid I coached in elite basketball during the summer.... when our hometown would play him they would make the comment.... He's not good enough to play D1..... if he was 5'10".... he would be on JV... I would say "UM..... GUYS...... I KNOW THAT.... BUT HE'S 6'8" AND HIT 8 Three pointers on us.... lit you guys up for 39"... If I was jesus christ..... I would be Jesus Christ..... but I"m not :O) Things would be a lot easier being Jesus Christ.... but some things wouldnt.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
if that's the case.... he can use either hand... and does a lot more in practice..... and afraid in games..... um.... we should probably give him a opportunity to play him more.... its all about peaking at the end of the year. Who cares if we knock off Cinci..... or Memphis if were going to lose 2nd or 3rd round in the tournament. I think using a 7'5" guy w/ decent skillls gives us the best chance at winning in the tournament..... even if its just 15 minutes a game..... HE'S GETING 6 MINUTES A GAME!!!!!!!!! 6..... not 20.... my god... he should be playing 20 plus.... can you imagine how good he would be at the end of the year getting 20 minutes a game???? I'M NOT SAYING he would be Yao Ming..... but he would be a force against any team.... we only play him against other teams w/ bigs...... like Uconn, MIch state... its going to happen in the tournament. Can you imagine if we actually played him against some teams that have only 6'9" centers..... can you imagine what him and Sacre could accomplish together.... setting picks up top for Bold and Gray.... and when they overplay the screen..... slipping it???? The only player that looks for Foster on slip screen is Bold.... just drives me nutts he's getting 6 minutes and that much potential!!!!!

MJ777
01-18-2010, 02:21 PM
I think he only plays if there is a Big big or Sacre gets in foul trouble. His hands are questionable but improving and he can't hit FTs very well. I would like to see him play 5 minutes or so against the smaller Bigs in the WCC to see how he does and to give Sacre a break. But the coaches are the ones who get paid to make PT decisions so............ Maybe he will play meaningful minutes against Pepp and LMU.

Go Zags!

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 02:32 PM
I hear all this talk about Foster wont be able to do anything against smaller teams.... or they will foul him... what's the harm in getting the other team into foul trouble. He wont shoot free throws until 7 team.... so why not take advantage of that...... and do we really think he wont be able to take a 6'8" post or shorter on the block lol?????? not to mention slipping screens w/ nobody on him...... ????? and I really doubt he sees floor time..... its a shame.....

Whalers86
01-18-2010, 03:10 PM
I love Will, but in most matchups against most teams the answer is simple: the Zags are blessed with other, better athletes that help the team more at this point. That said, you can't teach 7'5" and he is a good defensive weapon to have when you need it. Gotta think he has a shot at the next level...

Tmac5360
01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Man, the team is 3 and 0 in league and ranked 10th in the country. Foster is 7'5" but he doesn't play because he doesn't deserve to play. If he would have redshirted 3 years ago like I heard the staff would have liked him to do maybe it's different. He didn't and until this year he has shown no reason to get minutes. I would like to know whose minutes he gets? Harris? Sacre? who gives up the minutes?

cjm720
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Another way to look at it: where are his minutes going to come from and will that harm the development of our younger players?

gamagin
01-18-2010, 03:34 PM
a lot of us would like to see Will have more p.t., just to see if the way he looked against SMC is for real. I hope it is.

But he could have just bumped his head getting off the jet and had an epiphany or somesuch and has fully recovered since. I don't know what happened but it was exciting, full of possibilities. and I liked it.

My hope is he gets more p.t. & continues to show this higher caliber of play with the upcoming league schedule and the allegedly lighter competition we face.

Go TEAM Zags !

allnet59
01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
You know i really like seeing Will the Thrill get some minutes in games and i root for him every time he steps on the floor and the game against St Mary's was his best outing for his entire career. That said his skills are just average and his body language says it all when he makes a bad play. Yea he probably would have been a better player given more opportunities but lets be realistic there are only forty minutes of playing time and its tough deciding who's playing and who's sitting. You put the best five on the floor to win PERIOD! The one issue i have is when we do have a large lead and Few seems to wait until almost the last minute to put in the subs. I think Will could really help us out down the road if he keeps his head in the game and hopefully he see's the court more through out the rest of the season. Good luck and Go Zags

Lurknomore
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Mee....I second your first post!

MJ777
01-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Lurknomore -- he's all mine! Back off! :D

I'm sure Rob would be willing to give you both some playing time. ;)

AzZag
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately, I truly don't think Will is going to be anywhere near an NBA court unless he buys a ticket.

Ever heard of a guy named Keith Closs? He was 7'3" led the nation in blocked shots at a small school and had a non-effective stint with the Clippers for a few years. I have seen both Closs and Will play on numerous occasions. Will isn't 1/8th the player Closs was.

I am sure he is a fine young man and a good person. Other than his height, he honestly doesn't have much of a skill set. He will get the random block shot, but no where near enough to warrant his height. His foot speed on the blocks and up and down the court is not good. I really don't need to address his shot and for a guy that is 7'5", he doesn't rebound well.

It could be coordination. To me, it looks more like attitude. Against USD, he was at the end of the bench and appeared disinterested.

China seems to be the new hotbed recently for hoops, maybe he goes there, otherwise, I hope he utilizes his degree to its fullest.

Jedster
01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Unfortunately, I truly don't think Will is going to be anywhere near an NBA court unless he buys a ticket.

Ever heard of a guy named Keith Closs? He was 7'3" led the nation in blocked shots at a small school and had a non-effective stint with the Clippers for a few years. I have seen both Closs and Will play on numerous occasions. Will isn't 1/8th the player Closs was.

I am sure he is a fine young man and a good person. Other than his height, he honestly doesn't have much of a skill set. He will get the random block shot, but no where near enough to warrant his height. His foot speed on the blocks and up and down the court is not good. I really don't need to address his shot and for a guy that is 7'5", he doesn't rebound well.

It could be coordination. To me, it looks more like attitude. Against USD, he was at the end of the bench and appeared disinterested.

China seems to be the new hotbed recently for hoops, maybe he goes there, otherwise, I hope he utilizes his degree to its fullest.

Great post. I agree. I love it when Will comes in because how often do you see a 7"5" guy come in and play (and on our team!)? However, Will has not shown a consistent offensive presence and on defense he gets himself out of position constantly trying to block shots. It's fine with his size to try and block shots, but sometimes it's much better to get in position for the rebound. He also goes up for the block on shot fakes as that seems to be his singular desire...block the shot.

If he's in more it means that Sacre or Harris is on the bench. Do you really believe he is better than either of those players? Besides, I think Olynyk brings in much more than Will from the bench. Also, we already have one player (Meech) who is offensively challenged on the court. When Will and him are in, it is much easier for teams to defend us as they only have to worry about 3 players.

His purpose is to provide a rest for Sacre and to give teams another look inside. It reminds me of the call to have the backup QB be the starter when the starter isn't performing well. He's always the most popular player on the team, but 9 times out of 10 there's a reason he's the back up. More than occasional spot duty and their weaknesses are magnified.

Like I said, I love watching Will, but IMO you are overestimating his ability. If he's playing more than 5-10 minutes a game, then we have bigger issues to worry about.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
So because he goes for a block we shouldn't play him? That's called development..... players will make mistakes if they dont get playing time. They have to get at more than 6 minutes of playing time on a average to get better. I somewhat agree that he will never make a NBA Roster.... but luckily for Gonzaga they play in NCAA. UConn vs. Gonzaga last year..... I remember Will shutting down the big... again... his offensive producivity doesnt come from scoring or shooting.... it comes from getting other people open on high pics....exactly what Heyvelt and Sacre do... but instead you have a 7'5" guy. I dont have a problem w/ Will and Sacre being on the court at the same time and slowing down the tempo..... sit Goodsen for a little bit... go 1. Boldin / Gray 2. Boldin / Gray 3. Harris 4. Sacre and 5. Foster.... to a 2-3 zone... Boldin and Gray up top... Harris, sacre and Foster down low. Of course Foster would take the middle of the zone.... Sacre and Harris have corners. The only weak spot would be Sacre covering corners.... but he's agile enough to handle it as the season goes along. Of course... if you want to speed it up you can put Goodsen in.... take foster out... everybody goes back to the position they were supposed to be in.

and Foster is faster than Sacre block to block.... get your watch out!!!!! not saying he deserves to start.... just saying he's not slow. Deception!!! my god watch him run.... it takes him 3 strides to half court lol.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
and Foster doesn't need to score... he's not in there to get pts!!!! he's in there to take up room on defense and force tougher shots...... on offense he's in there to open up space for other players.... my opinon is he does this better than Olynick...

He needs to take Gibbs minutes..... the question is ... can Harris play a 3.... my opinion is .... YES HE CAN. Gonzaga's the best chance to win a national is with Will on the floor.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 06:12 PM
he's not playing behind Sacre.... he's behind Olynik... he's the third center on the team. Sacre plays 25 minutes a game..... Foster plays 6.... there's 14 minutes left....

Jedster
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
So because he goes for a block we shouldn't play him? That's called development..... players will make mistakes if they dont get playing time.

Not sure where I said since all he does is go for blocks that he shouldn't play. What I said is he consistently gets himself out of position on defense (where you say he is most valuable) by going for blocks. Big difference.

As for players making mistakes when they don't get playing time, Will has had 4 years to prove he doesn't make mistakes on the court (and in practice), and he still makes them. True, kids need playing time to develop and learn from mistakes. That's been my contention with why Meech plays. In the long run (next few years) we need him better. Will is a senior and we have a freshman (Olynyk) and a redshirt sophomore (Sacre) who need to play to develop in the long run.

Your contention is Few doesn't play him because he doesn't like him. I really doubt that Few would cut his nose off to spite his face and not play a player that would give his team a better chance to win as opposed to sitting him out of spite. And I'm also sure this isn't the first player Few's had that he doesn't like (if in fact he doesn't like him). I'm sure if Will is in Few's doghouse he has done something to get there and that Few has told him what he needs to do to get out of it. I remember at the beginning of this year, Kong was in the proverbial doghouse and was told what he needed to do to get out. He did and he's playing. I think it's more skill and ability as opposed to Few not liking him as to why he doesn't play.

We can agree to disagree, but IMO the more Will plays the worse it bodes for the success of the team, both this year and next (as it takes away from player development). Will is a role player and in that role he should play 5-10 minutes a game.

vandalzag
01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Jeremy I am a little confused with your posts. Are your Pro Foster or against him, because I am getting mixed signals? All of this fence sitting and waffling about is very confusing. I know maybe if you posted another 10 or 30 times in this thread we could firmly establish your position on the subject.

You may be on to something with the doghouse comment. I attended a coaching clinic put on by Few and other successful coaches where they said that the key to winning is identifying the key player to your teams success, then doing everything in your power not to play him, thus making it harder to achieve success. As a coach that gives you a built in challenge during the year, a way to break up the monotony of yet another perfect season. That ol coach Few is a crazy one, he may even kick it up notch by benching Harris and Bouldin.

Instead of giving Foster Gibb's minutes (I am with you on this, I for one am very tired of all time that Gibbs spends on this team playing center), the staff should give him Goodson's minutes. Think of the advantages of having a 7'5" point guard, it would revolutionize the sport. GU would be so dominant that 500 years from school children will be studying cave paintings that tell the story of the Gigantic Point Guard that ruled the world.

rijman
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Jeremy I am a little confused with your posts. Are your Pro Foster or against him, because I am getting mixed singles? All of this fence sitting and waffling about is very confusing. I know maybe if you posted another 10 or 30 times in this thread we could firmly establish your position on the subject.

You may be on to something with the doghouse comment. I attended a coaching clinic put on by Few and other successful coaches where they said that the key to winning is identifying the key player to your teams success, then doing everything in your power not to play him, thus making it harder to achieve success. As a coach that gives you a built in challenge during the year, a way to break up the monotony of yet another perfect season. That ol coach Few is a crazy one, he may even kick it up notch by benching Harris and Bouldin.

Instead of giving Foster Gibb's minutes (I am with you on this, I for one am very tired of all time that Gibbs spends on this team playing center), the staff should give him Goodson's minutes. Think of the advantages of having a 7'5" point guard, it would revolutionize the sport. GU would be so dominant that 500 years from school children will be studying cave paintings that tell the story of the Gigantic Point Guard that ruled the world.

Great post, got me laughing out loud. :lmao:

snebzag
01-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Maybe Big Will is just contemplating his next test while sitting on the bench. He stayed for a Class A education and very little playing time. His choice. Into it? Don't know, maybe that is just his personality, low key. It is what it is and I will leave it up to staff for playing time, I do enjoy seeing him on the court. It is always an adventure.

Jeremy, love your passion, but speed kills man, they told me that in the Seventies.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
LOL.... NOW YOUR TALKING.... that's what I've been getting at!!! MOVE FOSTER TO POINT!!!!!! :o) No... I feel he should be playing 15 minutes a game!!! and if he continues to improve..... play him more.

willandi
01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
There was talk of Will 'shirting his Soph year, then Josh broke his foot. Last year was also possible, until Rob went down. Will has been the emergency back up for most of his Zag career. I wonder if he doesn't feel that at least a little of this year should be his time.
If he had shirted with those 2 injuries, wouldn't a lot of people thought it very selfish? to take a redshirt when he might be needed? We have all seen how tough the posters can be.

All that being said, I would like to see Will get a few more minutes each game. And as far as his not being NBA, I remember Mark Eaton, who barely played at UCLA, and had a long NBA career. Not saying that Will will follow suit, but don't be too quick to discard him...it could happen!!

Zag 77
01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
WHAT IS GOING ON????? He's 7'5..... A GAME CHANGER!!!

Jeremy, you have written the funniest bit of satire I have read in months.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
EAton was the man!!!!!! lOVED the way he played... NOTHING FLASHY!!!!! AND THINKING ABOUT IT..... Maybe Will is on to something w/ the beard :)

EAton was a 8 pt, 8 reb, 3-4 blocks a game guy..... that's what Foster could be. His statistics werent flashy... but he took up space on defense and offense.

I think Will should feel like he's been slapped in the face.... he has.

Zagregious
01-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Jeremy,

Totally loving the monologue.

Honestly gang, I think we all step back and let Dr. McCreary wrap this thing up in 40 or 50 more posts.

I'm funnin' ya, of course.

Hoopaholic
01-18-2010, 09:24 PM
I agree that Will can provide valuable minutes. in the SMC game HE STOPPED SMC run.....go back and watch the tape....he was inserted when SMC had made mini run and he suddenly did some things on D, then on offense got the tip and a beautiful pass .....game swung back to us

Now....I dont have inside information nor do I know if there is a dog house in the kennel (hmmm that sounds funny), but if you go back to the oklahoma game I described what I saw and from my perspective of coaching many years I thought for sure he would find the dog house.....I firmly believe he is earning his way back onto the court and we will see him 10-15 min a game spelling Sacre.......and will again see him stop runs during critical portions of a conference game

alaskazagnut
01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
is what the coaching staff think and know. If Will does not buy into the system, rules or mission statement he could be as good as Bouldin or Harris and he will not get the minutes. Attitude, skill, and work ethic, and team chemistry are all important. If Foster cannot or does not conform or agree to the demands of all those variables, then he won't play.

Either way, if he acts off the court like he does on the bench, I see the problem. Not every one 6'5" and taller is good at basketball. So, coupled with his less than average skill and his poor attitude, I am surprised he is still on the team.

I believe he feels he should have gotten more playing time and as such has seen his entire college career disappear before his eyes. Who wouldn't be upset. But winning is most important and if Few thought his play might cost a win, he aint gonna play him. And that I agree with.

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
coaches responsibility to get the kids to buy into the system.... I've been told WILL FOSTER IS A GREAT KID!!!! that's extremely hard on himself!!!!

I played w/ a kid in high school that was 7 foot... he worked his *** off to become coordinated.... was he as cordinated as the 6'6" player???? heck no.... he was one of the best players in the state. But put them on the court at the same time and he made the 6'6" player that much better. Coaches told him basicly the same thing... it would be a waste of talent if you didnt play... bla bla bla... So let me tell you a story.... we go to a summer basketball tournament and he buys new shoes... the coach didnt put him in one second until the championship game of the tournament.... 1 second to guard the in-bounds guy throwing a full court pass LOL....

anyways.... back to my point.... Will Foster deserves 6 minutes of playing time. He is VERY coordinated for a 7'5" guy... part of playing basketball w/ somebody tall is knowing how to play w/ them... Bouldin does A GREAT JOB of playing with him.... If you watch tape you will see 90% of Fosters pts come from Bouldin... a lot of pts are missed by the starting guards (Gray, Goodsen) not seeing the read.... passing the ball at a 7'5" guys knees are not going to cut it!!!!

jeremymccreary
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I am w/ you guys..... I would never trade Few for any other coach in America!!!! just wish he would put Foster in a little bit more..... see what he can do..... we could use him down the stretch.

Whalers86
01-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Jeremy I am a little confused with your posts. Are your Pro Foster or against him, because I am getting mixed signals? All of this fence sitting and waffling about is very confusing. I know maybe if you posted another 10 or 30 times in this thread we could firmly establish your position on the subject.

Really, really funny - admire the wit!:lmao:

alaskazagnut
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
coaches responsibility to get the kids to buy into the system.... I've been told WILL FOSTER IS A GREAT KID!!!! that's extremely hard on himself!!

But it is also the coaches responsibility to play the best 5 guys to start the game, throughout the game, and for the individual match-ups and for team chemistry. No one questions that Will is a good kid. Good kids don't always have skills or improve team chemisty. Mother Theresa herself wouldn't get playing time. Not even for the Lady Zags.

If Will is too hard on himself then he may need to mature as a human being before he can be productive in any career. Mental issues can occur in anybody at anytime and along a continuum of severity. Who hasn't felt depressed or unsure of themselves when things haven't gone well or the future looks bleak. I mean they define nail biting as a form of OC.

It is too bad that Will could be his own worst enemy. Maybe Few has given him more PT than any other DivI team ever would. It may very well be that he is a Div I guy with Div II or NAIA skills. Maybe Mark Few and staff have such a big heart for the kid that they gave him a scholarship even when he should've been DivII or lower. I would bet that most 7'+ kids DO NOT play at the DivI level and the majority of organized collegiate athletes do not have DivI skills let alone on a perennial top 25 team. Will plays on one of the top 25 teams in DivI, when there are probably over 1000 NCAA mens collegiate teams possible.

So as far as we know, Few may have given him the greatest gift for an aspiring hoopster: a spot on a tourney team with the chance to win a national championship. Will is a lucky man, who may not realize how lucky he has been for 4 years. I would bet things would be different for Will if he would have put the same amount of time in the GYM as Derek Raivio did. Imagine. But he doesn't. His priorities are different and they do not have to include pro basketball if he doesn't want to. If he does, he better not think it is just going to be handed to him on a 7'5" platter. No matter what, he is going to have to hear "I bet you were great at basketball!" the rest of his life. Maybe he wants to be a teacher or a florist.

U Zig, I Zag
01-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I think that Will was brought on under the premise of an underdeveloped talent that would, ahem, foster GU some good bench minutes, some blocks, some boards and a few points on a consistent basis and hopefully evolve into a key player. He didn't become that type of player for GU and like maybe some talent on NBA rosters he is more valuable in practice than the general public sees on the floor.

You would be hard pressed to find a guy that tall that would sit on the bench and just get the education while putting in so few minutes.

Meaning, if he was more aggressive/enthusiastic he might be a better player but if that was the case he would have been gone his 2nd year because he is not good enough to be a starter on an elite team but his drive would have taken him to UNC-Ashville or something...

His GU legacy will be that of a role player, a fan favorite and (hopefully) some memories of making some big blocks and key boards during a deep 2010 run.

alaskazagnut
01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
my left ### to be in Fosters shoes right now. i can only imagine the feeling of running into the Kennel, high fiveing the kennel club and huddleing center court for Zombie nation.

Don't feel bad for Will. Feel bad for our opponents.

zagbapi
01-19-2010, 10:25 PM
A 7'5" kid with some hustle and game changing ability, and overal marginal basketball skills

VS.

Mark Few's 80%+ winning percentage

It's just too easy to come back to Few's winning record. I'm cool with the rotation, as is. From my understanding, WF had the opportunity to RS but declined. It would have given him another year of opportunity.

Go Zags!!!

I'd rather see a 75% winning percentage again the teams that really count personally, the talent is there for it in my opion. Beating the same teams in a weak league over and over is great but it's the good teams we have to beat under pressure when it counts otherwise we'll never see a championship in the years ahead.

With Will, probably a lot of factors involved but I think a lot of folks here miss the point that there are probably less than 100 people in the entire world that are as tall as Will. A coaching strategy that can effectively utilize and train a player like this would be even more rare and so more often than not these players end up as spot players and practice dummies and contribute that way. To expect anything otherwise is just not practical, especially at this level.
Not anyones fault, the 'bigs' that we all talk about really are not in the same category physically and with a lower center of gravity like Batista and Sacre who are great players in their own right.

I've followed Wills progress for years and have known a few other of the players also and I feel that some people here are reading too much into what he's doing on the bench. He's pretty low key actually and gets along with the other players...I remember him telling me that he wanted to be a Zag since he started playing in the AAU when just a little kid, he committed to Gonzaga even before telling his parents and always wanted to play basketball so I admire his ability to stick it out and his loyalty to the school and program and I wish good things for him the rest of the season and afterward. I say we should cheer him on when he's in and leave it at that and pray for the final four at the very least!

My 2 cents worth......

jeremymccreary
01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
what a great way to wrap up this topic..... that sheds a lot of light on this topic for me. It's all about choosing a school where you want to go..... I think even 20 yrs. from now Will can come back and know he's a fan favorite. Maybe someday he will have a son that will play for the Zags!!!!

As for his playing time..... he will be critical down the stretch!!!!! Will be nice to have him ready for the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA....and hopefully longer.

scott257
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Will is getting shafted. If he appears to have a bad attitude now, I don't blame him. He is good on offense when he gets the ball above his head. He is as capable as Sacre and for those that I know will disagree, you should consider Sacre's play the last few games. Sacre was outplayed by both Samham and the Portland big. Sacre gets double teamed at San Diego and he struggles. Would Will do better? We will never know because the coaches won't give him the opportunity to succeed. I don't think they have ever left him in for longer than 3 or 4 minutes in one stretch. Based on the short time he played, he did better against Samham than Sacre did.

gamagin
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Will is getting shafted. If he appears to have a bad attitude now, I don't blame him. He is good on offense when he gets the ball above his head. He is as capable as Sacre and for those that I know will disagree, you should consider Sacre's play the last few games. Sacre was outplayed by both Samham and the Portland big. Sacre gets double teamed at San Diego and he struggles. Would Will do better? We will never know because the coaches won't give him the opportunity to succeed. I don't think they have ever left him in for longer than 3 or 4 minutes in one stretch. Based on the short time he played, he did better against Samham than Sacre did.

But even so, if all goes as it is expected to go, Will should get some serious minutes against the softer teams on our league schedule. And I'm hoping he shows more flashes of savvy and focus in that time and earns more p.t. His career, most complete 7 minutes that I've seen, and I've seen him I think since he started, was vs. SMC.

If that game was not an anomaly, I believe he will see more p.t., to give RS a blow and to contribute important minutes.

Fwiw, one of the reasons you see our guys (SG, MB, MA, EH, Meech) getting to the basket game after game is because as often as not, RS is blocking their big's ability to move in. I'll join you in hoping RS gets more boards and more points, but really, there is a substantial difference (so far) between these two and a huge number of reasons why RS is in there in WF's sted.

See for yourself next time.

Go TEAM Zags !

lothar98zag
01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
...if you stacked...all the periods used...in this thread....on top of each other...would they be as tall as...Will "GAME CHANGER" Foster...yes or no...

gamagin
01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
...if you stacked...all the periods used...in this thread....on top of each other...would they be as tall as...Will "GAME CHANGER" Foster...yes or no...

.................................................. .................................................. .........
.................................................. .................................................. .........
maybe now it is . . .

sonuvazag
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
If you stacked as many Will Fosters as there are periods in the thread, would you get to outer space?

Jedster
01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
If you stacked as many Will Fosters as there are periods in the thread, would you get to outer space?

You're blowing my mind!

wetside fan
01-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Your killing me folks! Thursday night the kid went out and basicly shut Samhan down while he was in the game. Played great.
That evening and all day Friday there was a thread that was full of the love for Will.
Saturday night he never got on the floor and you've spend almost 5 days ripping him apart.
Based on that, I sure am glad I'm not Will.

There's a reason the staff tells the players to never look at this board

bigblahla
01-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Your killing me folks! Thursday night the kid went out and basicly shut Samhan down while he was in the game. Played great.
That evening and all day Friday there was a thread that was full of the love for Will.
Saturday night he never got on the floor and you've spend almost 5 days ripping him apart.

+1

Go!! Zags!!!

WestsideZag2424
01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey, I love the guy just as much as anyone else. I throw up the "W" every time he touches the ball, let alone does something good. Having said that, the reason the rest of the students and I do that just when he touches it is because there aren't many other opportunities for it. He just flat out isn't coordinated to be getting consistent playing time. I don't blame him at all for that, it's just it's pretty hard to get 7'5" moving.

I've been impressed with some of his performance this year, and I like being able to put him in every once in awhile. But those of you that say he should be getting 10+ minutes are just wrong. I don't think I've ever seen him hit a shot from the floor that was outside of a foot from the hoop. And literally a foot from the HOOP, not a foot away on the ground and then up but his hand being a foot away. And even then he misses those more often than not.

I absolutely love Big Will, but his playing time is pretty much right where it should be.

WestsideZag2424
01-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh and Jeremy, you say he shut down the UCONN big (Hasheem Thabeet, who I think was very overrated skill-wise) but Will only played 4 minutes in that game.

Here's the box score of that game:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=283552250

Not exactly a dominant performance from what I see there and what I remember, because quite frankly I don't even really remember him playing in that game. I guess that stat line shows why I forgot his performance

Jedster
01-20-2010, 10:02 PM

The main point of this thread was to state that Will should be playing a lot more than he currently is. Just because people don't agree with that and/or point out areas of weakness that Will has doesn't mean we don't like him. I'm sure he's heard a lot worse from the coaches. I personally love it when Will comes into the game as it is entertaining to watch someone 7'5" play. The unfortunate reality is that he still hasn't grown into his big frame and is outmatched athletically at the D1 level and doesn't have great coordination.

I certainly hope you're not insinuating that Will would have dominated Samhan for the other 33 minutes of the game, because that's what it sounds like. He played 7 minutes the entire game. 7 minutes! Remember Samhan only scored 6 points the entire first half as Gonzaga made a concerted effort to shut down Samhan. In the second half with the lead, GU made a point to stop the outside game so they wouldn't kill us with 3's. Samhan is a load and has dominated everyone he plays. There's no way Will would be able to shut down Omar....and I hate to say that!

FuManShoes
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Oh and Jeremy, you say he shut down the UCONN big (Hasheem Thabeet, who I think was very overrated skill-wise) but Will only played 4 minutes in that game.

Here's the box score of that game:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=283552250

Not exactly a dominant performance from what I see there and what I remember, because quite frankly I don't even really remember him playing in that game. I guess that stat line shows why I forgot his performance

Will was a force in the UConn game because he continually set high screens that Gray and Pargo drove around for easy scores. That seems to be his biggest skill, getting out top and helping create offense for teammates, that and altering shots at the rim - in spurts. I agree that based on those skills alone Will might merit more minutes, but there is a lot that goes into these decisions and they aren't made in a vacuum. I believe Few feels he gets almost everything senior Will offers from freshman Kelly with the added benefit of better passing, more mobility and the grooming of a freshman. Is that "fair" to Will? Maybe not, but I don't see malice in it, just a tough coaching call Few gets paid the big bucks to make.

jeremymccreary
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
But even so, if all goes as it is expected to go, Will should get some serious minutes against the softer teams on our league schedule. And I'm hoping he shows more flashes of savvy and focus in that time and earns more p.t. His career, most complete 7 minutes that I've seen, and I've seen him I think since he started, was vs. SMC.

If that game was not an anomaly, I believe he will see more p.t., to give RS a blow and to contribute important minutes.

Fwiw, one of the reasons you see our guys (SG, MB, MA, EH, Meech) getting to the basket game after game is because as often as not, RS is blocking their big's ability to move in. I'll join you in hoping RS gets more boards and more points, but really, there is a substantial difference (so far) between these two and a huge number of reasons why RS is in there in WF's sted.

See for yourself next time.

Go TEAM Zags !

Just curious why you think Will gets more minutes all of a sudden? Every week I hear this... its not a shot at your post.... I'm just sick of hearing it. I agree w/ the other poster.... If I was building a team for THIS YEAR.... i would choose the 7'5" Foster. and again... RS only plays 25 minutes a game.... Olynk is getting the rest of the minutes.... AND to address the earlier poster who said we need to develop talent.... I AGREE!!! But he's only a freshman???? and unless Harris or RS leave to the NBA early.... he will remain the backup for at least this year and next... he has plenty of time to develop. Our best chance to win a national title is with Will playing 15 minutes a game.

jeremymccreary
01-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey, I love the guy just as much as anyone else. I throw up the "W" every time he touches the ball, let alone does something good. Having said that, the reason the rest of the students and I do that just when he touches it is because there aren't many other opportunities for it. He just flat out isn't coordinated to be getting consistent playing time. I don't blame him at all for that, it's just it's pretty hard to get 7'5" moving.

I've been impressed with some of his performance this year, and I like being able to put him in every once in awhile. But those of you that say he should be getting 10+ minutes are just wrong. I don't think I've ever seen him hit a shot from the floor that was outside of a foot from the hoop. And literally a foot from the HOOP, not a foot away on the ground and then up but his hand being a foot away. And even then he misses those more often than not.

I absolutely love Big Will, but his playing time is pretty much right where it should be.

dude...seriously.... THAT'S NOT HIS ROLE!!!!! when was the last time you seen Yao Ming pull up for 3? Foster is 7'5" !!!!!!! of course he's not going to be coordinated as a 7'0" guy... or a 6'6" guy!!! can you imagine a 7'5" Michael Jordan????? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! i DONT THINK it's physically possible lol. Sanham runs like a idiot.... BUT HE'S 6'11"!!!!! he's 6 INCHES TALLER!!!! That's like comparing Samhan and Matt Bouldin!!! did Saint marry's say...... hmmmm...... he sure does run weird.... lets go ahead and start the 6'6" guy....

Yao Ming is the MOST COORDINATED 7'5" guy in the WORLD!!!! IN THE WORLDDDDDD..... IN my opion the only thing that REALLY stands out is his soft touch..... I personalty think will is just as athletic. WILL IS VERY COORDINATED FOR HIS SIZE!!! VERY ATHLETIC FOR HIS SIZE!!!! he just does have a soft touch mid-jumper.... but he doesnt need a soft touch in college!!! does anybody remember Kenny George from NC ash? He was 7'7".... only two more inches than Will. If you did watch him..... it's obvious will is WAYYYYYY more athletic than Kenny... Kenny was hitting for 10-18 pts, 8-12 boards and 3-7 blocks a night..... playing on 19 minutes. Will is twice the player Kenny is..... IMO...

Zag 77
01-20-2010, 11:17 PM
It is pretty much a continuous, repetitive loop. The dead horse has not only been beaten, he has been dragged around the room a few dozen times.

jeremymccreary
01-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Will was a force in the UConn game because he continually set high screens that Gray and Pargo drove around for easy scores. That seems to be his biggest skill, getting out top and helping create offense for teammates, that and altering shots at the rim - in spurts. I agree that based on those skills alone Will might merit more minutes, but there is a lot that goes into these decisions and they aren't made in a vacuum. I believe Few feels he gets almost everything senior Will offers from freshman Kelly with the added benefit of better passing, more mobility and the grooming of a freshman. Is that "fair" to Will? Maybe not, but I don't see malice in it, just a tough coaching call Few gets paid the big bucks to make.

FINALLY.... SOMEBODY UNDERSTANDS THE GAME!!!!
that's the best big man in college basketball!!!!
He was eating up Josh H.... and Daye... AND ANY OTHER PLAYER until will came on the court... Zags made A GREAT RUN when Foster went in.

jeremymccreary
01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
and Samhan didnt even get a good look vs. Foster..... It's not like he was missing bunnies.... he couldn't even get a decent shot attempt up. I have no idea why Few put Sacre in and continued to let St. Marrys exchange buckets down the stretch......

Samhan ABSOLUTELY ATE SAcre up!!!! He came out in the 2nd half and dominated him.... something like 11 or 12 pts in the first 5 minutes!!! Zags are lucky they were hitting shots early in the 1st half or the lead would have vanished right away. Foster came in and played for awhile..... didnt give samhan a look good look. Zags grew the lead by at least 4 or 5 pts.... Sacre came back in..... LUCKILY.... Samhan missed a couple of bunnies.... although it didnt matter... because they started to fall.... I think Samhan had 16 pts the final 7 or so minutes!!!! When the Gails come to Spokane I hope coach few gives Foster the chance to play 15 plus minutes vs. Samhan.

jeremymccreary
01-20-2010, 11:59 PM
The thing is.... The duo of Foster and Bouldin is lethal !!! watch how these guys operate the pick and role up top. Bouldin seems to have troubles w/ some of the more "legit" defensive players in the bigger conferences. IMO Fosters ability to give him the extra couple of inches off the pick up top does wonders for the whole offense.... IMO that's what was missing last year. josh H would pick and pop 90% of the time ... so teams new how to defend the pick and role. Foster Roles 100% of the time.... AND its impossible to hedge the screen up top because it would result in a dunk 100% of the time..... of course if they over played the screen Will would slip the screen ... which would result in a dunk 100% of the time lol.... the problem is Bouldin is the only player that consistently looks for Will off the pick and role up top. Forget posting will up..... that's not a bad option... but he shines by setting ball screens for Bouldin and Gray.

I've never seen Goodsen look for Foster... dont get me wrong... I LOVE GOODSEN.... but he doesnt look for him. The only time I've seen a pass to Will from Goodsen is a low bounce pass at his knees....

I have been very impressed w/ Will's Basketball IQ.... he seems to put himself in a perfect situation to score or put somebody else in a position to score. That's something Olynek cannot do.... he's a very talent young player. I'm sure he will learn in time.... but right now Will brings so much more to the table for the TEAM.

Zagregious
01-21-2010, 12:47 AM
C'mon Jer, so many Red Bulls, so little new info....appreciate the passion, but holy crapanoli.

To quote a movie I have never seen,

"Shut it down! Shut it down forever!

-Mr. Book, Dark City, 1998

Birddog
01-21-2010, 04:45 AM
It is pretty much a continuous, repetitive loop. The dead horse has not only been beaten, he has been dragged around the room a few dozen times.

Agreed, this thread should have been closed after post #53.

FuManShoes
01-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Playing .... DEVIL'S ADVOCATE!!!!! .... Why SHUT DOWN!!!! a thread just because the poster is OFF THE DEEP END in some IRRATIONAL belief that Few is HIDING A 7'5" BEAST on the bench and keeps REPEATING himself in the hope we will FINALLY CONCEDE the point ..... We CHOSE to play along, didn't we?!?!?!?!??!

jeremymccreary
01-21-2010, 10:32 AM
okay okay..... I'm done now.

gamagin
01-21-2010, 10:45 AM
okay okay..... I'm done now.

Very Irish. Enjoyed your enthusiasm, however.

ANd Will can use some fan adulation, I'm sure. Keep watching.

Some day you may turn out to be right.

I hope so.

Go TEAM Zags !

WestsideZag2424
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
dude...seriously.... THAT'S NOT HIS ROLE!!!!! when was the last time you seen Yao Ming pull up for 3? Foster is 7'5" !!!!!!! of course he's not going to be coordinated as a 7'0" guy... or a 6'6" guy!!! can you imagine a 7'5" Michael Jordan????? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! i DONT THINK it's physically possible lol. Sanham runs like a idiot.... BUT HE'S 6'11"!!!!! he's 6 INCHES TALLER!!!! That's like comparing Samhan and Matt Bouldin!!! did Saint marry's say...... hmmmm...... he sure does run weird.... lets go ahead and start the 6'6" guy....

Yao Ming is the MOST COORDINATED 7'5" guy in the WORLD!!!! IN THE WORLDDDDDD..... IN my opion the only thing that REALLY stands out is his soft touch..... I personalty think will is just as athletic. WILL IS VERY COORDINATED FOR HIS SIZE!!! VERY ATHLETIC FOR HIS SIZE!!!! he just does have a soft touch mid-jumper.... but he doesnt need a soft touch in college!!! does anybody remember Kenny George from NC ash? He was 7'7".... only two more inches than Will. If you did watch him..... it's obvious will is WAYYYYYY more athletic than Kenny... Kenny was hitting for 10-18 pts, 8-12 boards and 3-7 blocks a night..... playing on 19 minutes. Will is twice the player Kenny is..... IMO...

Ok, first off I'm not saying that he should shoot 3's, that would be stupid. What I'm saying is that practically the only shot he has is a dunk. He doesn't have a post-up game, he doesn't move well laterally, he's 5-24 on free throws for his career, he can't run the floor well, and he can't catch. I'm sorry, but without those skills you don't deserve to get more time than he does.

Your arguments just don't make sense. You seem to be caught up on height and athleticism, when the real factor is skill. While those things factor into skill, you have to have the skill. You have to have the SKILL to be productive with what you have, whether that's being slow or super tall.

And just as a note to anyone else still reading this at this point, Kenny George averaged 12.4 points, 7 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks per game in 07-08, not the 10-18, 8-12, and 3-7 Jeremy would have you believe. I HATE when people get stats wrong.

jeremymccreary
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Ok, first off I'm not saying that he should shoot 3's, that would be stupid. What I'm saying is that practically the only shot he has is a dunk. He doesn't have a post-up game, he doesn't move well laterally, he's 5-24 on free throws for his career, he can't run the floor well, and he can't catch. I'm sorry, but without those skills you don't deserve to get more time than he does.

Your arguments just don't make sense. You seem to be caught up on height and athleticism, when the real factor is skill. While those things factor into skill, you have to have the skill. You have to have the SKILL to be productive with what you have, whether that's being slow or super tall.

And just as a note to anyone else still reading this at this point, Kenny George averaged 12.4 points, 7 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks per game in 07-08, not the 10-18, 8-12, and 3-7 Jeremy would have you believe. I HATE when people get stats wrong.

did you just see Mr. Fosters turn around jumper? that's a 7'5" guy doing that.... I have no idea what Kenny's stats are.... I just tossed out some rough #'s.... all i know is 12, 8, 4 isnt bad.... and Will is better.

jeremymccreary
01-21-2010, 06:31 PM
anybody see Foster screen off his guy.... and Bouldins defender didnt know what to do lol..... so will just sealed him off... gave matty B about 5 ft. of room to shoot!!! I wonder why the team looks so focused on getting Will the ball in the zone..... that's a tough load for Foster to handle. He handled it well.... but they need to look for him in man to man.

FuManShoes
01-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Controversial perhaps, but I woulda put Foster in when Bell was going off to prevent those drives. Christ, I'm staring to sound like JEREMY!!!!!!!!

jeremymccreary
01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
lol

jeremymccreary
01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Gonzaga with Foster 12-4. a 7-2 run and 5-2 run. Foster was involved in every basket on offense. 2 key screens for Bouldin.... a nice turn around jumper. Pepperdine was too concerned with Foster on the low post w/ three defenders giving him attention... Elias Harris came on the backside of the baseline for a alley oop. I dont remember where the other 2 pts. came from.... as for defense. As for defense.... 4 pts... enough said. not to mention none of the pts. were Will's fault.

Gonzaga WITHOUT Foster 74-75!!!!! 1st half runs of 10-4, 15-16 and 4-5 to close out the half. 2nd half Foster did not play.... they were beat 55-50!!! Any Questions?????

I would also like to breakdown the game w/ Kelly Olynek in as the 5!!! (not the 4) .... Doesnt make the team better right now playing the 5. I think he's a great player!!! just not at the 5!!!! he makes a excellent backup for Elias.... and will make a great 5... NEXT YEAR when he puts on 10 plus lbs. Foster brings more to the table....