PDA

View Full Version : OT - Black "Zags" Jersey

RedlandsZag
01-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Long time reader, but rare poster. I am curious if anyone knows where I could buy one the black Zags jerseys the teams was wearing Saturday? I know they were for sale last year, but I have scowered the internet and cannot find them any where.

If anyone has suggestions, it would be much appreciated!

MedZag
01-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Hrmmm you're right. They used to be for sale on niketown.com but are no longer. I imagine they'd be back by the NCAAs.

zag944
01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
to get to them I think you have to walk under a bunch of ladders in a house full of black cats and broken mirrors.

whats our record in those things? I was scared when the game started. They do look cool though.

RedlandsZag
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Not sure what the record is, but is has to be better than the record with those red jerseys! Either that or I just can't stand watching the red jerseys, lol.

Med, you are probably right...wouldn't be surprised if they are back for March Madness.

ZagMan in Philly
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Not sure what the record is, but is has to be better than the record with those red jerseys! Either that or I just can't stand watching the red jerseys, lol.

Med, you are probably right...wouldn't be surprised if they are back for March Madness.

I think we are 1-2 in black jerseys. Lost to UNC in tourney last year, Lost to Duke in MSG this year, won against San Diego this year...

Personally, I like them, as they make us look tough in black. I was fortunate enough to buy one last year from a sporting store in Spokane, forgot the name of the store. A friend of mine wanted one now, and I have not been able to find one for him either.

FuManShoes
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know where to get the black jerseys bit I've been inspired and just ordered the Matt Bouldin No. 15 America's Team edition jersey from the gozags shop - only $35!

zag944
01-18-2010, 01:38 PM
we are at least 1-3 then, because we got housed last year by Memphis on Paint it Black night.

MississppiZag
01-18-2010, 01:43 PM
5-3 we played St. Mary's, Santa Clara, San Diego, and San Fransisco last yr. All were wins. We also won with them on against San Diego this yr. We have lost against Memphis, UNC, and Duke. I guess against the conference we should wear them and against elite level teams, not so much.

kyle dixon
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Last year vs. Memphis in the arena the Zags wore their home whites, but gave the fans free black tshirts. Last year the Zags beat SMC and USF on the road in the black jerseys before falling to UNC.

Personally, I wish the Zags stayed with the blue and whites. Just my .02 though....

LoveMyZags
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
we are at least 1-3 then, because we got housed last year by Memphis on Paint it Black night.

I actually don't think the team wore them that night. If memory serves correct, I remember being surprised when we all had black shirts on our chairs but the team came out in the white jerseys. I could be wrong though...

ID ZAGFAN
01-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Last year vs. Memphis in the arena the Zags wore their home whites, but gave the fans free black tshirts. Last year the Zags beat SMC and USF on the road in the black jerseys before falling to UNC.

Personally, I wish the Zags stayed with the blue and whites. Just my .02 though....

They did this year, too. I noticed that the lettering (both years) was similar to the lettering in the black jerseys--white block letters with a black narrow letter inside--just ZAGS, though. The jerseys are the word Gonzaga with a red narrow letter through them. The letters look quite similar from a distance.

ID ZAGFANS

americasteam
01-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Wait a second...I'm pretty sure the black jersey says "ZAGS". I was wondering if it was the first time that was used by Gonazaga, (rather than "GONZAGA" like on their white jerseys and blue jerseys?)

Anyone know if there are other teams out there that use a nickname based on their school, rather than their school name or mascot? Oh wait, there probably are lots...ie "UCONN" on the jersey rather than "CONNECTICUT"??

Angelo Roncalli
01-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Wait a second...I'm pretty sure the black jersey says "ZAGS". I was wondering if it was the first time that was used by Gonazaga, (rather than "GONZAGA" like on their white jerseys and blue jerseys?)

Anyone know if there are other teams out there that use a nickname based on their school, rather than their school name or mascot? Oh wait, there probably are lots...ie "UCONN" on the jersey rather than "CONNECTICUT"??

GU used "Zags" on their jerseys back the '50's and early '60's.

americasteam
01-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Really? I wonder why they stopped for 40 years?? I like it, It is unique.

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2010, 02:11 PM

No kidding? Interesting

MedZag
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Yup, they have "Zags" on the front.

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_247000/altImages/FF_247053ALT1_xl.jpg

The whites and blues also have "Zags" on them this year... its just more hidden:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/82492/3344620197_89bfd5f4e8.jpg

The new Syracuse alternates have "Orange" on the front. MSU has jerseys where they just have "State" on the front. It's not unprecedented by any means.

ID ZAGFAN
01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
They did this year, too. I noticed that the lettering (both years) was similar to the lettering in the black jerseys--white block letters with a black narrow letter inside--just ZAGS, though. The jerseys are the word Gonzaga with a red narrow letter through them. The letters look quite similar from a distance.

ID ZAGFANS

My bad--I was looking at a dark pic of the navy jerseys with the block letters and red running through them--Gonzaga.

ID ZAGFAN

Zagsker
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I would love if we had a jersey that had "BULLDOGS" across it

Zagsker
01-18-2010, 05:29 PM
The whites and blues also have "Zags" on them this year... its just more hidden:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/82492/3344620197_89bfd5f4e8.jpg

are you serious? do they really have that "Go Zags" on it:confused:

if so...we need to stop letting 3rd grade cheerleaders design out uni's

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-18-2010, 07:01 PM

AMEN brother

Angelo Roncalli
01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.gozags.com/trads/nickname.html

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Dang...too bad nobody has found an outlet selling these black jerseys, I was considering trying to grab one before my trip...a black jersey is fairly rare, would been nice to have in Spokane.

UberZagFan
01-18-2010, 10:15 PM

No kidding? Interesting

60's 70s AR?

Legend had it when Uber was at GU in the early 90s, that the moniker "Zags" began with the baseball team, or so many members of the team that Uber knew so claimed. They had "alternate" jerseys--which back then were basically just warm up or practice jerseys that said "Zags" on them. And some claim that was the tradition in baseball for as long as GU had a baseball team (though Uber doubts that).

woohoo, as Uber suggested to you in the Foo, you should take a gander through the Ad Bldg and look at all the old pictures of the various sports teams throughout the years. And then report back to us on when you see the first mention of "zags" in the unis. Thank you in advance for all the hard work.

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2010, 10:23 PM
woohoo, as Uber suggested to you in the Foo, you should take a gander through the Ad Bldg and look at all the old pictures of the various sports teams throughout the years. And then report back to us on when you see the first mention of "zags" in the unis. Thank you in advance for all the hard work.

Would LOVE to

gozagswoohoo
01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh, and just a note to all of yans that might happen to ALREADY OWN the black uni.....I WILL PURCHASE THE UNIFORM FROM YOU RIGHT NOW, and I am giving you an offer you CAN NOT refuse.

You tell me what you paid for the jersey, and I will MATCH that (minus $50 for depreciation...), PLUS....I will give you an AUTHENTIC zags hat straight from Missouri!! (Very rare)

Ziggy
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh, and just a note to all of yans that might happen to ALREADY OWN the black uni.....I WILL PURCHASE THE UNIFORM FROM YOU RIGHT NOW, and I am giving you an offer you CAN NOT refuse.

You tell me what you paid for the jersey, and I will MATCH that (minus $50 for depreciation...), PLUS....I will give you an AUTHENTIC zags hat straight from Missouri!! (Very rare)

Are you sure you're not in Real Estate? Oh that's right, insurance. Might think of a career change given your skill set. ;)

NYCZAG
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
The Gonzaga Bookstore is getting the BLACK Jersey's and Shorts in stock FEB-Just got off the phone with them-

LynetteG
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
The Gonzaga Bookstore is getting the BLACK Jersey's and Shorts in stock FEB-Just got off the phone with them-

oh yes! my BD is in Feb! but they are probably stocking up because they're hearing about the big wigs from Missouri coming in Feb ;)

gozagswoohoo
01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Woohoo!!

zagporvida
01-22-2010, 08:18 PM
For those that cannot wait until Feb, looks like you can purchase it at a football website of all things. :-)

http://www.footballfanatics.com/COLLEGE_Gonzaga_Bulldogs/Nike_Gonzaga_Bulldogs__Number_2_Black_March_Madnes s_Basketball_Jersey

LynetteG
01-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I want a #20 jersey! ;)

Snagglezag
01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Looks like a new release:

http://www.eastbay.com/images/products/zoom/17410765_z.jpg

http://www.eastbay.com/images/products/zoom/17410766_z.jpg

MedZag
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I think those are the shorts on the GU players in the new NCAA BBall 2k10:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/77428/ncaa10.jpg

tlark420
01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
where can i buy those shorts?????

U Zig, I Zag
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
I think those are the shorts on the GU players in the new NCAA BBall 2k10:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/77428/ncaa10.jpg

Speaking of, I was at Target tonight and since I am still a child at heart I walked by the toys/games section and they had an Xbox 360 up demoing that game. Not much actual gameplay but a CGI promo video with Clark Kellogg (I think it was him) doing some over dramatic voice-over. It was going through Texas, UNC, etc battling it out and all of a sudden he rolls into, 'and the slipper still fits!!!!' and it's GU players jumping around. Thought that was pretty awesome. :)

Snagglezag
01-26-2010, 06:18 AM
tlark-

I found them on eastbay.com, but this morning, they are yanked.

Keep checkin'.

RedlandsZag
01-26-2010, 06:31 AM
NYZAG (or anyone else in the know)...when the bookstore gets the jerseys in Feb, does this mean they will also be available on the website for those of us not in Spokane?

Thanks!

gozagswoohoo
01-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Jeez, $75 bones!! How do I explain that to the wife!! I just told her NO on a $35 dollar purse.

CB4
01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Things are looking like the Zags are getting a new set of home and aways. Too bad I liked the current ones a lot.

ID ZAGFAN
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Stopped by the bookstore today while we were in Spokane. There was a sign up that said Nike was completely redoing its replica jerseys, and they would have them in mid-February.

I spoke to the clerk, and he did not seem that optimistic. Seems they were supposed to have them last semester, but were told in December that they were redoing the line and they would have them in January.

Then in January, they told them, oops, not until mid-February. He said he would not be surprised to get a call in February that it would be even later.
He seemed very frustrated with the situation.
:(
Now, this was not an official spokesman, just a college-age clerk, but it does not seem promising.

ID ZAGFAN

gozagswoohoo
01-26-2010, 03:01 PM
:-( Ugh...

Maybe Woohoo will bring some luck when he's there Mid-February.