• jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

ot: uconn in trouble

amazing how fortunes change in CBB...
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

"The way we run our offense we don't have that many opportunities to shoot threes," Dyson said. "We're out on the break so much. We definitely have people who can make threes. If the opportunity raises itself, we're going to take them, but I don't feel a need to force them."

"We got some good looks," Calhoun said. "We just didn't make them. But I haven't built my career that way — not when a team has so much size and athleticism."

I think it's silly to suggest, as the article does, that the reason they are losing is because they aren't putting enough focus on the three point shot. Threes are great and can really be the difference maker, but a team that relies on the three is in bad shape when they aren't falling.

We have a similar situation here in the WCC where every team has a sniper that can really light it up. But I think it's done out of necessity because they don't have people down low who can consistantly get it done. I think it's easier said than done to recruit a tall, athletic player that also is a deadeye shooter. It seems like there is usually a trade off of skill vs athleticism unless you are a top program. UConn actually has that balance in Dyson, so the article is a little off base when it talks about UConn's bad recruiting.

No mention of a post presence in the article. That might be the real reason they lost, not threes. I wouldn't trade Elias or Rob for that Aussie kid Dellavedova, for example (not a perfect example, because he put it on the floor a few times). If I was SMC and could only keep one player, it would be Samhan.

I didn't watch the game, but it appears that Michigan was clogging the middle and limiting penetration. San diego ran into that problem in their second half against us. It turned into the watch Johnson drive into the paint and try to draw contact show. That's a nice weapon to have, but not to be used as your only offense. Maybe lack of in-game coaching adjustments were another reason. What's the saying? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result...

Comment

Working...
    X