PDA

View Full Version : Say it aint so Kyle!

GuamZag
04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
JR (Los Gatos, CA): What do you make of Santa Clara's hire of Kerry Keating? Do you think Santa Clara or San Diego will challenge Gonzaga in the next two or three years?

Kyle Whelliston: (4:49 PM ET ) Thanks for the WCC shout. Back in February, I was reading some Bill Simmons column about how useless he thought knowledge about this league was, and now I think even he could get latched on to this. We have a longtime ex-Gonzaga assistant at USD, and serious UCLA brain cells at Santa Clara. I think this redistribution of coaching power is going to eventually bring some parity to the league. I'm confident in saying that someone other than GU will win the WCC title in 2009.

Here's the espn link (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=15493)

former1dog
04-23-2007, 01:17 PM
:lmao:

No, wait, seriously.....

:lmao:

BobZag
04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Brad Holland = Serious UCLA brain cells (he was recruited by Wooden and played at UCLA)

Dick Davey = A disciple of one of the WCC coaching legends in Carroll Williams.

;)

sonuvazag
04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Simulataneously, they're adding money to the budget at SCU which might do more for the desired effect in the long run, but by 2009, it would be a miracle for anyone else to contend for the wcc crown.

sanfranzagsguy20
04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
you cant be confident in saying someone other than gonzaga will win the wcc in 2009 based purely on coaching...people are just tired of gu winning it every year...you cannot be confident in any other team winning the wcc any year until it happens once in this era of gu dominance...sorry...

RebornZag
04-23-2007, 03:21 PM
GU losing the WCC Conference Title and or Championship in 09 is about as likely as me winning the lotto. 09 may be our best year ever.

There could be one scenario where GU could lose the Conference Title in 09. That would be that The Zags win the NCAA tournament next year and Heytvelt, Downs and Pargo all go pro afterwards. But we'd still have:

Matt Bouldin
Will Foster
Sacre
Daye
Brown
Gray
LG
Poling

plus four other recruits.

Zags still look tough to me.

lothar98zag
04-23-2007, 03:24 PM
you cant be confident in saying someone other than gonzaga will win the wcc in 2009 based purely on coaching...people are just tired of gu winning it every year...you cannot be confident in any other team winning the wcc any year until it happens once in this era of gu dominance...sorry...
What do you define as "the era of GU dominance"?

FWIW, GU finished 2nd in 2000 to Pepperdine. (and tied for first w/ Pep in 2002)

lothar98zag
04-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Also, while it's not likely that GU won't at least tie for first in the WCC for at least the next few years, I wouldn't say it's impossible.

In addition to the 2 years I just posted about GU won the WCC by just 1 game in 07, 05, & 01. Going from 1st to second in any of those years is just a 2 game shift - not a big stretch...

CDC84
04-23-2007, 03:45 PM
The biggest challenge facing the WCC teams the next few years is how they will defend Gonzaga when they are no longer be able to just focus on a few players. Even in 2003/04 and 2005/06...teams could focus their attention on guys like Ammo, Batista, Turiaf and Stepp. That just isn't going to be the case anymore....especially come 2008/09, when all of the GU newcomers this year have a year of D-1 experience under their belt. There are so many offensive weapons to contend with, and if WCC teams spend all their time trying to contain 1 or 2 players, it's highly likely that two other guys (or more) could sting them. In other words, the junk defenses and other novel approaches will probably be of no use...teams within the WCC are going to have to beat Gonzaga straight up.

Please don't miscontrue my comments as being some kind of prediction on my part that Gonzaga will dominate the league. I am making no such prediction. But the Zags are going to present some new problems to the league. Adjustments will have to be made in many cases.

GoZags
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
If Gonzaga doesn't win the league in '09, that would mean another program (or two) significantly elevated their game. That would be healthy. Very healthy.

As long as GU dances it really doesn't matter to me if it's the auto-bid or not.

A healthy WCC is better in the long run than one "Giant" and 7 also-rans.

Two (or three) Giants are better than one. At least that's my opinion.

hondo
04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm with you GoZag and I am hoping that the WCC will become the best league in the West as it should.

Bocco
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
GU losing the WCC Conference Title and or Championship in 09 is about as likely as me winning the lotto. 09 may be our best year ever.

Reborn I think you would be MUCH more likely to win the lotto.:D

sanfranzagsguy20
04-23-2007, 04:46 PM
What do you define as "the era of GU dominance"?

FWIW, GU finished 2nd in 2000 to Pepperdine. (and tied for first w/ Pep in 2002)

lothar do i really have to answer this? you are absolutely right about the 2nd place finish and the tie but what i think this author meant (and what i define as "winning the wcc") is winning the conference tournament...gonzaga has dominated in this "era" which to me is 1999-present...if GU's run in the WCC the last eight years cannot be called "dominance" i dont know what can

MickMick
04-23-2007, 04:48 PM
One problem with the "we are loaded for bear" thinking is....there is only one basketball. Didn't Santa Clara beat the eventual National Champ UNC team a couple years back? And just how did Gonzaga get to where it is today? By being giant killers of course. A couple good runs wiil do wonders for recruiting. I would not be surprised by any WCC school rising to a competitive level.

When/if Gonzaga starts sending sophmores to the pros on an annual basis, they will face a different set of problems like....how do you make a talented group of freshman instantly gel before they all turn pro?

DrDrivel
04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
lothar do i really have to answer this? you are absolutely right about the 2nd place finish and the tie but what i think this author meant (and what i define as "winning the wcc") is winning the conference tournament...gonzaga has dominated in this "era" which to me is 1999-present...if GU's run in the WCC the last eight years cannot be called "dominance" i dont know what can

But GU hasn't won the WCC tournament every year in that time period.

pdine
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
wasn't lmu a measily last-second missed layup away from knocking off gu?

http://wccsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/030706aaa.html

sanfranzagsguy20
04-23-2007, 06:04 PM
But GU hasn't won the WCC tournament every year in that time period.

i dont remember writing that..are you really going to try and argue that gonzaga has not dominated the WCC since 1999?

please

pbriz
04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
pdine, you cant pick out one particular game and say that GU hasn't dominated because of that game. What is Few's winning percentage in the WCC? About 90 percent... I think most would agree that a 90 percent winning percentage in conference is domination over an eight year stretch. I personally want the pepperdines and santa claras and perhaps now the san diego's to strengthen their programs into teams that could contend for the WCC title or an at-large birth. I really could see it happen with a few good runs by some of these teams. Keating and Grier are very solid coaches. The talent may not be there yet but USD and Santa Clara have alot to offer in their campuses and now if the budget is there it could happen. Pepperdine was going the right way until their recruiting class fell apart recently. Until one of them makes a few consistent runs its gonna be tough tho and until then GU will dominate in the future.

gamagin
04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
<< I'm with you GoZag and I am hoping that the WCC will become the best league in the West as it should. >>

the bar has been raised.

Few will be matching wits with like minds and fierce competitors bent on narrowing the gap as a condition of their future employment. Quickly.

As for the best league in the west, I would caution that GU has become as good a basketball program as many on a given year in the Pac 10, but that conference has incredible, built-in advantage$ that will be really difficult for GU to stay up with or even surpass, in perpetuity.

What we do have here is an anamoly. A gift. A potentially narrowing window of opportunity that could also be widened.

A wonderful, harmonic convergence of superb, competitve athletes wanting to advance vis a vis tiny Gonzaga University, which features a winning program and tradition backed by a solid, supportive, knowledgable, coaching staff, administration and fan base.

This is the glue that makes this program stick together.

How long it can hold onto this enviable perch, keep the pretenders and challengers at bay, and dominate this conference, and return and penetrate the veil that keeps us from an even closer shot at an NCAA championship, is the stuff of our dreams.

So, we dream on. We enjoy the journey immensely. And hope against hope that we all will continue returning, growing and building a tradition that figures it all out one fine day in March.

In our lifetime.

On our watch.

Baldwinzag
04-23-2007, 07:46 PM
gamagin - I envisioned an inspirational and themed musical score while reading your post. Bravo! Bravo!

DrDrivel
04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
i dont remember writing that..are you really going to try and argue that gonzaga has not dominated the WCC since 1999?

please

You actually did write that. The correlation was clear and explicit. You said: but what i think this author meant (and what i define as "winning the wcc") is winning the conference tournament".

I'm not arguing that GU hasn't dominated the WCC since 1999. But let me show you how the argument played out.

Argument 1: GU has dominated the WCC for 9 years
Counterpoint: But they've lost it in that time
Argument 2: Okay, yeah, but I'm talking about the conference tournament
Counterpoint: ...? Still, they've lost it in that time

bayzag09
04-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Man, this season really does need to start if our arguments are consisting of this trash. Has Gonzaga been dominate in the WCC the last 9 years? Yes. Bottom line. Move on. Stop trying to pick a fight over something pointless.

sanfranzagsguy20
04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Man, this season really does need to start if our arguments are consisting of this trash. Has Gonzaga been dominate in the WCC the last 9 years? Yes. Bottom line. Move on. Stop trying to pick a fight over something pointless.

thank you

story of this board's life; regular season or not

Zag79
04-24-2007, 12:05 AM
wasn't lmu a measily last-second missed layup away from knocking off gu?

LOL. and that would constitute GU not being dominate for almost a decade now? your reaching... :lmao:

lothar98zag
04-24-2007, 07:57 AM

I never said GU hasn't dominated. They have. I was just pointing out that GU hasn't won the regular season WCC every year during it's "era of dominance". And DrD also pointed out GU hasn't won the WCC tourney every year either.

My point was just because GU has been, is, and probably will continue to be the dominant team in the WCC it doesn't mean they'll win the WCC (reg season &/or tourney) every year.

former1dog
04-24-2007, 08:10 AM
My point was just because GU has been, is, and probably will continue to be the dominant team in the WCC it doesn't mean they'll win the WCC (reg season &/or tourney) every year.

Oh, yes they will. :D

kyle dixon
04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Gamagin, great post. Could not be said any better. The only thing is we want to figure it all out one fine day in April.

pdine
04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
i never said GU hasn't been dominant for the last decade.

I was implying it's rediculous for some of your posters to think GU will never fall in the WCC tournament (only takes one game) simply because they're the 'dominant' one. Talk about a 'stretch'

sonuvazag
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
My logic is that even if the WCC competition improves (which would be a good thing,) the incoming Zag class this year makes unlikely any drop off in domination. In fact, the betting man might up the stakes against anyone who says the Zags won't re-re-re-re-re-peat. Is that enough re's? Anyway, I will not be one to go on record as predicting an upset in conference or tournament play in the next two years. It could happen, but it's just as likely as predicting a NC for Gonzaga next year. You can dream as nothing imagined is impossible. It's not even impossible both could happen... hmmm.

bayzag09
04-24-2007, 10:05 AM
i never said GU hasn't been dominant for the last decade.

I was implying it's rediculous for some of your posters to think GU will never fall in the WCC tournament (only takes one game) simply because they're the 'dominant' one. Talk about a 'stretch'

All that sanfran said in his first post was that you cannot be confident that another team would knock us off, not that it would never happen.

If I was a betting man, and I think you can agree, 2009 would be a year Gonzaga would take the WCC crown. A "stretch"? Hardly

gamagin
04-24-2007, 06:09 PM
<< The only thing is we want to figure it all out one fine day in April. >>

excellent point. Of course, you are right.

thanks & best regards,