• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Why was USD gym so empty?

Looks like a lot of empty seats. The students must be back, since cheerleaders, dance team and some students were on camera.

What was the story?

Does anyone besides me think the clock is ticking on Grier's future in San Diego? Athletic Directors hate empty seats more than just about anything. Fans will put up with the slowdown style of play when their team is consistently winning, but come to hate it when the home team is losing.

Grier, it seems, has had disciplinary problems - guys kicked off, suspended, or just plain leaving - every year. He lucked out his first year when his team (composed of Brad Holland's recruits0 won the WCC Tourney, thanks in no small part to the fact that USD was hosting. The Toreros went on to post an impressive win in the NCAA's against UConn. Since then, not much.

Ehlo actually had an astute observation tonight. He could sense that USD had given up fairly late in the second half, despite the fact that GU was only up 10, and Harris appeared to be out for the rest of the game. Not a good sign.

Comment

• rijman
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2009

I was surprised by the low turnout. I guess USD found out how far they can push ticket prices and multi ticket packages before people resist. They push up ticket prices for the Zags game then package it with 2 other games so a typical $10 ticket ends up costing $36 ($16+$10+$10). I know this is common practice in the WCC when the Zags come to town and 4 game packages are not uncommon. In a down economy I think the gouging was too much this year.

Yes, the normal (meaning when the Zags aren't playing) $10 ticket prices at USD are low compared to the MAC, but you aren't getting the Zags so the price is about right.
      It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Does anyone besides me think the clock is ticking on Grier's future in San Diego? Athletic Directors hate empty seats more than just about anything. Fans will put up with the slowdown style of play when their team is consistently winning, but come to hate it when the home team is losing.
        If you spend a few minutes skimming this thread at Torero Nation you can get the impression that the bloom is defintely off Coach Billy's rose:

As far as bringing in players, I'll give him five years. But, as a season ticket holder, I'll say it again and again, I have a weird feeling that on a personal level he just doesn't connect with his players like a coach should. I don't get the sense he is a good psychologist of the game.
        and

Grier and the team's stars are really both the problems
        and

ll of the transfers and releases have really hurt the team (Jones, Johnson, Lazeau, Braswell, Fleming, Miller). That kind of turnover does not allow guys to get through the system and develop. Grier has filled a lot of open scholarships but doesn't seem to have upgraded the talent level - he's only produced 2 starters in 2 1/2 years. And by the way, what happened with Braswell? Did USD just abandon him? One injured year on scholarship and then Grier decides he doesn't want him back? Grier recruited him in the first place!
        Maybe just knuckleheads with keyboards. . .
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• 2wiceright
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
          Looks like a lot of empty seats. The students must be back, since cheerleaders, dance team and some students were on camera.

What was the story?
          Went to Torero Board and they mentioned students were on break... Their board seemed pretty bleak and as Reno mentioned there is a lot of dissention. I can't imagine the infighting here If we were a third or fourth place team for a year or two (or more)!

www.toreronation.com/topic.php?id=762 (link)
          Last edited by 2wiceright; 01-16-2010, 09:35 PM. Reason: link correction
          "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
          -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• 2wiceright
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Dec 2007

Sorry Reno- you beat me to the link in your post
            "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
            -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• alaskazagnut

It's impossible....

to start as a new coach and be the exact same as the predecessor. Howland made promises to his kids and staff, then left the program, then in comes a fundamentally strict coach from an entirely different program and philosophy. If there is discontent with the athletes then there is a chance that there is discontent among the assistant coaches too. If the AD, coahc and the assistants are all on the same page, then no power hungry NBA wannabe kid can lose his reigns and rear his head of revolt.

Somewhere is a cancer, and, IMO, it is probably not Grier.

Comment

• soccerdud
                Zag for Life
                • Jul 2009

hey, i was also there-- and it was pretty pitiful. they are definitely still in intercession (break between the two semesters), but i visited with a season ticket holder and he said that he wouldn't have expected any more students, regardless of timing. he said no one seems to care. the only real yelling i heard from any usd fans was "sit down!" when our group of zags started the game standing. then they got security.

it was my 2nd game there this season. we went and saw them beat stanford at the beginning of the season... same basic thing. pathetic showing, little energy. what few cheers they actually did were poorly timed, or inappropriate ("warm up the bus" with 10 mins left and your team down by 1? really?). i just really can't describe the fans or the program's following as anything other than "remedial". though most are plenty nice, there's not a one that would fit in at the kennel. whatever issues grier may be having, he's getting almost no help or support from the community.

probably the scariest thing was the way i ended up sitting next to the guy with the season tickets; a couple of our friends hadn't bought tickets before the game, so when we left the pre-game they went and found a scalper. they ended up paying $15 apiece for 3 tickets... center section, 5th row. so, when the two seats next to them were still vacant at halftime, holly and i just moved down there. so, of 5 seats that are better than all but probably the top 30 or so KK seats, 3 were sold for next to nothing right before the game, and 2 were completely unclaimed. ridiculous.

also, was nice to meet you rijman.

Comment

• alaskazagnut

Ouch

I feel for Grier. He has a lot of experience that the team and staff may not be buying into. Then again Grier was just one small part of the Zags success and just because you can steal an assistant coach doesn't mean you are going to steal the conference wins from the Zags.

Maybe San Diego should've asked Minnesota if it works.

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

charger fever?

dunno, maybe charger fever...the zag game draws thousands of non alum, college BB fans in droves.....maybe they have their minds on the JETS Jets Jets Jets!!!!!

Comment

• bartruff1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

You bet it is ticking..

And it won't tick for 5 years....just cuz something is obvious doesn't mean it is wrong...you win you fill the seats....

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

probably speaks well of Few staying with the Zags. Having seen Minnesota and now Grier, he has to appreciate what he has just a little more. I hope he stays...and adds an ex NBA 6'10" or bigger, big man coach, a power forward or center, to really teach our bigs how to play.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Zag 77
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Anything in the USD pipeline?

Hopefully Grier has some decent recruits coming in. His job may be on the line by next year, if not sooner. Holland had a decent overall record and he got canned. USD may have expected a mini "Zag miracle" when they hired Grier. That NCAA run his first season will only go so far.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

It looks like Grier has a pretty solid class coming in.

2010 Commitments
                            NAME POS STATUS GRADE
                            B. Vozzola Shooting Guard Signed 92
                            D. Kramer Power Forward Signed 91
                            S. Fajem... Center Signed 88
                            T. Fuller Power Forward Signed 85

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

more gloom in paradise

JETS Jets Jets Jets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its really gloomy here now....and with big rain coming

Comment

Working...
                              X