• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • englishzag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

OT: Wine

I know there are big basketball things happening but thought this was awesome for a fellow board member.

It is a little wordy I know but Russel has managed to achieve an amazing score and it is worth a read.

Winemaker/Proprietor Russel Bevans and his wife Victoria have been on Cloud Nine since Robert Parker's Wine Advocate reviewed their Bevan Cellar wines for the first time a few weeks ago. These 2007s represent the third vintage of their work, and the care and quality of these hand-crafted wines shine through. Since production is extremely limited – 213 cases of Showket Vineyard Red and 275 cases of Showket Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon – Wally's is fortunate to have obtained enough to offer its E-Club members, since now being in the limelight has created national demand for this previously quietly-distributed brand. And, more good news for you, one-week only 15%-off pricing will be in effect for you! A star is born, and all you have to do to grab it is to reach out to your keyboard and place an order.
    2007 Bevan Cellars Showket Vineyard
    Mae's Cuvee Cabernet Sauvignon #112675
    E-Club: $127.50
    Regular Price: $149.99
    "Also enormously impressive, but more backward and in need of bottle age is the 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Showket Vineyard. This opaque purple-hued Cabernet exhibits classic notes of creosote, creme de cassis, licorice, and cedar. It is a relatively massive wine (as one expects from these hillsides that also produce the superb Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Francs from the Dalla Valle winery). This deep, broad, enormous 2007 needs to be forgotten for 5-6 years, and drunk over the following three decades. These are very impressive efforts! Bevan Cellars' Syrahs from Sonoma's Bennett Valley will be reviewed in the next issue, along with other non-Napa wines From Napa Valley, this small, artisanal producer has fashioned two brilliant 2007s." 95+ Points, Robert Parker
    2007 Bevan Cellars Showket Vineyard Red John's Cuvee #112676
    E-Club: $127.50
    Regular Price: $149.99
    "The 2007 Showket Vineyard Red Wine is from an Oakville hillside site that was just sold to the Peter Michael Winery. (Let’s hope proprietor Russell Bevan will continue to be able to access fruit from this site.) It is a blend of equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc along with 10% Merlot, is a beauty. Aromas of flowers, blue and black fruits, wood smoke, and spice box are offered up in a lavishly persistent and intense aromatic display. Opaque purple-colored, deep, and full-bodied with terrific fruit, purity, and density, this outstanding wine should drink well for 10-15+ years. Bevan Cellars’ Syrahs from Sonoma’s Bennett Valley will be reviewed in the next issue, along with other non-Napa wines From Napa Valley, this small, artisanal producer has fashioned two brilliant 2007s." 95 Points, Robert Parker
  • Akzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Congrats to RR ... a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears
    So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• Russell Bevan
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2007

Wow, I just got tipped off to this thread. It is amazing how small the world can be. We have been blown away at the response we have gotten from our recent releases.

Something that is really cool is that next year we will bottle a Richard Frahm Cuvee. In a weird twist the house we live in was built by Richard Frahm until he past away and we purchased it and the land around it to plant our vineyards. We are going to dedicate our first estate wine in his honor and for the other Richard who "taught my beloved Zags to dance in March".

All the best,
      Russell Bevan
      Bevan Cellars

Comment

• NontradZag
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Apr 2008

Congrat's Russell! It was my supreme honor to share a glass with you in Santa Rosa, and be able to smuggle a glass back for the wife on the plane.

From our conversation, I know that Gonzaga as an institution, the basketball program and the wine world are extremely blessed to have you and your wife as a part of it.

Here's to many more years of success.

Brandon
        If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Comment

• webspinnre
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Russell, for those of us in the Bay Area (I'm in Napa), where do we find you? You mentioned Oakville as far as vineyards, and then there was something about Santa Rosa? I checked the website, but it appears you're currently doing some renovation.
          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
            Bleeds Bulldog Blue
            • Feb 2007

Russell is in Bennett Valley, just outside Santa Rosa.
            You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

Working...
            X