PDA

View Full Version : underdog Gonzaga with a huge upset...

ZAGduck
04-21-2007, 09:14 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc22apr22,1,4532167.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

flying elbows are encouraged

RenoZag
04-22-2007, 06:00 AM
ZAGduck, where does mixed martial arts rate in terms of popularity? Decent PPV audiences for big matches? Better gate than regular season hockey?

wazmix
04-22-2007, 06:52 AM
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/8646/gonzagaufcbz6.jpg

I want this guy on the basketball team, just to see "Gonzaga" on the front *AND* the back of the uniform.

The ultimate enforcer down low. Nobody would mess with him, unless they wanted a kick to the skull. (There have been a lot of changes to the rules. I don't even think that's a foul anymore.)

Zagpower
04-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Mixed Martial Arts has a large and growing fan base and has stolen a lot of fans away from traditional boxing that will never return. They feature very charismatic and talented fighters, and despite the violent nature of the sport, have managed to have a safety record far superior than that of boxing.
Many people see this sport as the ultimate in one on one competitions. There has long been the argument of who would win in a battle between a great boxer and great wrestler or between a karate expert and a Judo expert and so on. In Mixed Martial arts we get to see for ourselves.
I started to get into it a couple years ago and have found it very interesting and a whole lot more fun to watch than boxing.
If you want to check it out, just rent past UFC's on Netflix.

23dpg
04-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Funny, I was going to post this also. Here's an excerp from the Oregonian that I thought was relevant.

The Ultimate Fighting Championships had its second major upset in two events Saturday when Gabriel Gonzaga beat Mirko "Crocop" Filipovic in UFC 70 at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England.

Few presumably gave Gonzaga (8-1) a chance against Filipovic (22-5), considered to be the top heavyweight striker in the world.

I think Few always thinks we have a chance.:)

john montana
04-22-2007, 09:07 AM
i watch a lot of mma, and was shocked last night. gonzaga is the real deal and a win wouldn't have been that big of a surprise, but to take out cro cop with a high kick to the head? crazy...cro cop is a deadly kick boxer.

i much prefer mma to boxing...way more fun to watch.

Akzag
04-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Caught that fight as well.

I remember that around a decade ago, you could only get Ultimate Fighting on PPV. Now it is all over cable and I would venture that outside of a heavyweight title fight, surpasses boxing viewership easily.

I was shocked to see Filipovic standing for a later than sooner after-the-fight interview. It sure looked like his right ankle snapped when he fell over it. The other Brazilian Beastie brought the hurt.

D Hark 2003
04-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Wow i saw a replay of this fight two nights ago, he kicked the Sh*t out of Cro Cop's head!! Didnt see that happening being that Cro Cop is the kick boxer and Gonzaga is the Jujitsu guy... Go zags i guess!