PDA

View Full Version : Friday's Zag Action from Kingwood Classic

BobZag
04-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Tinsely finished with 25 points and converted the decisive three-point play with just seconds left in the second overtime to give his team the victory.

Although he is primarily a shooting guard, Tinsley dished out six assists and was a stabilizing force for his team all evening.

The 6-foot-3 Tinsley has offers from Cal, Pepperdine and Nevada and is also being recruited by Stanford, Gonzaga and Tennessee. The former three-sport standout, who recently made the decision to not play football this fall, is still entertaining the option of playing baseball on the collegiate level, likely in sophomore year.

Future top 100 2009 prospect Victor Rudd showed nice athleticism from the wing. Rudd currently lists USC as his leader with Gonzaga, Louisville, Arizona State and UConn also showing interest. USC and Gonzaga have already been into watch the talented Rudd workout this spring.

ZagAddict
04-21-2007, 08:21 AM
In light of GU's current situation with the 2007 recruiting class and having to release 2 players, it begs the question does GU use the same strategy and over recruit for the 2008 class?

With the 2007 class GU over recruited by 2 spots. I believe the GU staff saw the opportunity to make this program better and did a great job getting players like Daye, Gray, Sacre, and Brown (I have to believe he is going to make an impact or why use a schollie we didn't have). It's sad to see PMAC not be able to fulfill his 4 years at GU, and I hate to see players go like that. However, at the end of the day this move gives GU it's best group of 13 (scholarship players).

In the 2008 class, I would like to see GU take the same strategy... only don't over recruit by 2... just get 1 extra player. Personally I really like Jordan Theodore and Brad Tinsley. However, I don't believe we will get Brad Tinsley if we wait until the fall with other high profile programs entering the recruiting for him. I believe it's time for GU to offer in the near future and get a verbal from him. With JT it sounds like he is going to wait until at least the fall to make a decision. This kid would be a GREAT point guard for GU... I hope the stars align and he ends up on the west coast at GU. However, if we put all our eggs in this basket with that last scholarship, GU risks the possibility of him committing elsewhere and being left in a difficult position with bringing in a PG or elite prospect for 2008.

So my opinion is to go out and get Brad Tinsley now with our last 2008 scholarship, and if Jordan Theodore decides to commit to GU give him a scholarship as well and figure out the numbers later. I believe something will happen to open up another scholarship for 2008. I have no inside information or anything, but I feel that if GU has Elite 8 or better success in the tourney that it is highly possible that someone could leave early. There are many ways a scholarship frees up for 2008, but I believe GU should act on it now and get the talent in here.

ZagAddict
04-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Great info on Tinsley... I really hope GU offers soon and get a verbal. He is blowing up right now. Is there a possibility of him making an official visit in the near future?

ZagManFan
04-21-2007, 08:36 AM
I am really warming to this kid.

Question for the site gurus. Once a player is offered a schollie, can that schollie be pulled if another player accepts?

Not sure how the recruiting works, but if that is acceptable, why not offer both Tinsley and JT?

Of course I would love to see them both in GU uniforms.

spudzag
04-21-2007, 08:41 AM
ZagAddict, I agree completely, well stated.

BobZag
04-21-2007, 09:05 AM
With Andy Poling already filling one scholarship, it's my belief we'll take two more. Personally, I think Tinsley is almost a must. He's one of those guys that is hard to figure out. He doesn't look particularly special, but I think coaches over-analyze and over-think things with Brad. He's a tough, hardnosed guy who will break your arm if it means getting a win. His type is the exact reason why Gonzaga is where it is today. If he were on the 1999 team, we'd all be fondly remembering how he was instrumental in taking down Florida, Stanford, etc. Tinsley is a proven winner and solid in the clutch.

My hope is that the staff doesn't pass up a very good "basketball player" (see Derrick Low) because it is seduced by some "athlete" who can run and jump faster and higher but does little else.

To complement Tinsley, Jordan Theodore is my choice for the third and final 2008 spot. He is a defensive-minded pest who has plenty enough offense. What Tinsley doesn't, or can't, do, Theodore does. Tinsley is a CG while Theodore is more of a PG, though not a pure one.

Poling
Theodore
Tinsley

There's probably a surprise 2008 recruit somewhere, and that certainly would cause a change in the above plans. But it had better be an elite surprise, one that is definitively better than either of the above two guards. No more Calum McLeods or Mammery Diallos. Please! You don't see Memphis or any other top program doing that.

If we offer Tinsley, it'll most likely be during summer camp in June. He will visit twice, one unoffocial, one official. I hope we offer and he accepts.

Theodore will officially visit next fall after school begins, and unless things change (a surprise recruit we're not aware of), I think we'll push for a commitment then.

BobZag
04-21-2007, 09:22 AM
I am really warming to this kid.

Question for the site gurus. Once a player is offered a schollie, can that schollie be pulled if another player accepts?

Not sure how the recruiting works, but if that is acceptable, why not offer both Tinsley and JT?

Of course I would love to see them both in GU uniforms.

Two 2008 guards is likely the way it'll go. At least, that's the way I see it. I have never seen Gonzaga pull an accepted offer in favor of another. Not saying it has never happened. I'm just not aware of it. The staff makes sure they pinpoints who they want. Now, holding off on a recruit while waiting to see what another recruit does, that's common everywhere.

Btw, that 2009 Victor Rudd appears to be the real deal. He caught my eye in Vegas and I'm happy to read GU has been watching him since then. :)

ZagManFan
04-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for clearing that up BZ. So if we do offer 3 schollies, that puts us one over correct? What is your thinking on that? Do you think we lose one or more to the draft? Lord knows we have enough talent that it could happen or do you forsee something like this year with PMAC and David?

ZagAddict
04-21-2007, 09:46 AM
ZMF... if GU offers two more schollies (in addition to Poling) they will be over by one. There are many possibilities that would lead to GU freeing up a 2008 scholarship... the draft is just one scenario. I do believe though that GU is entering into the elite program status where players leaving early will be more common place. Not common place like as with Ohio St. this year, but more like Duke historically.

VanZagar
04-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I have mixed feelings about over recruiting. As a fan I can see it as a way for an elite team to rebuild quickly. Players may work harder if they know they, or another teammate are always on the bubble. Players will accept that risk to play for the top teams. For a lesser team players may may shy away from a school that is always ready to cut you loose in case of illness, injury or loss of touch on the jumper. Its too bad a player who has been released from his scholarship can't transfer anywhere without losing a year of eligibility. He shouldn't have to step down to a lower division.

Bocco
04-21-2007, 11:02 AM
With early departures for one reason or another it has to be difficult for the coaching staff. If Pargo, Heytvelt, or Downs have spectacular seasons next year one or more may not return for their senior season. Last year there was speculation that Josh might leave early, and if he had played the entire year who can say if that would have happened or not. I think that due to this we will continue to see over recruiting, the coaches really don't have any other choice.

4EVERaZAG
04-21-2007, 11:08 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-116959&prov=rivals&type=story_recruiting

Victor Rudd emerges in Las Vegas

By Jason Scheer, GOAZCATS.com Senior Writer – Rivals.com

At the Las Vegas Easter Classic this past weekend, Arizona assistant coach Miles Simon had an opportunity to watch a variety of potential UA recruits from the next few classes. One younger prospect was Victor Rudd, a 6-foot-7 small forward from Sylmar (Calif.).

Rudd was part of the 2D1 Basketball Academy team and although we only had the opportunity to see him twice, the athlete was impressive.

Rudd has already started to receive interest from a handful of schools and the attention is sure to increase as the AAU season continues.

"Recruiting is going alright," Rudd said. "I have a couple schools that are talking to me right now. Louisville and USC are talking to me the most. I would like to hear from Washington, Connecticut, and I also like Florida."

With that being said, Rudd also would like to hear more from Arizona, a school that he seems to be quite familiar with.

"Arizona is right up there with the other schools," he said. "I have seen them play and I really like the style that they play."

Rudd says that he enjoyed playing in the Easter Classic due to the competition, but never really felt the pressure of the college coaches watching.

"The competition was good," he said. "I did not play as well as I could have but I played alright. I do not think there is any pressure when everybody is watching. I just come out here and play my game and have fun."

Rudd showed a nice ability to shoot the ball, but seemed to get beat in some instances on defense. It seems that he recognizes his weaknesses, as he is committed to working on them.

"I want to work on my defense and my ball handling skills," he said. "You can always improve but those are the two main things I need to work on."

Rudd says that there are numerous things that he will look at when he looks at the school that he wants to attend.

"I am looking at the way they run their offense and their academics," he said. "Academics are really important to me because my grandma really wants me to go to a school with good academics. I also want to make sure that I comfortable with the school and that it is just a good fit for me."

Rudd says that there is not one specific offense he fits in, but he does admit to trying to model his game after one particular player.

"I really like Carmelo Anthony," he said. "I try to play like him. I play a lot of styles of basketball though, so I do not think I fit in with one style more than the other."

GOAZCATS.com will keep you updated on Victor Rudd's recruitment as it progresses
--------
A focus on academics and offense should bode well with Gonzaga's chances of landing him.

Nevtelen
04-21-2007, 11:30 AM
The other thing I'm a little worried about that year is the PF position. If Josh were to leave early for the draft, we wouldn't have a PF that year (though we'd be deep at the 5). BZ (or anyone who's seen him play) - do you think Theo could play PF if necessary? Would he fit well there? Some have also beeng saying Ira could play PF - I suppose it's possible if Pendo can do it, but I'll believe that when I see it happen.

BobZag
04-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for clearing that up BZ. So if we do offer 3 schollies, that puts us one over correct? What is your thinking on that? Do you think we lose one or more to the draft? Lord knows we have enough talent that it could happen or do you forsee something like this year with PMAC and David?

Hard to say. Josh could leave. Someone might ride the pine to the extent that they'd like to transfer. Downs could leave. Maybe LG never fully heals. Don't really know. Trouble is, the staff is in a bit of a quandry: only recruit two kids since only two are graduating, then risk a third Zag leaving and have to scramble for a recruit very late.....

BobZag
04-21-2007, 12:03 PM
The other thing I'm a little worried about that year is the PF position. If Josh were to leave early for the draft, we wouldn't have a PF that year (though we'd be deep at the 5). BZ (or anyone who's seen him play) - do you think Theo could play PF if necessary? Would he fit well there? Some have also beeng saying Ira could play PF - I suppose it's possible if Pendo can do it, but I'll believe that when I see it happen.

Theo is a PF, Nev. He just happens to be a PF with better inside skills than Josh. He doesn't shoot treys like Josh. More of a 17-foot shot guy max. Yes, Ira could play PF, ala PJ Tucker and Ivory Clark, both of similar size. Daye is certainly tall enough and appears to have the rebounding prowess to slide over from SF to play PF. Later on, Poling and Osweiler could be nice PFs, though Osweiler is more PF than Poling (more of a center).

We'll be okay there.

Nevtelen
04-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks, BZ. For some reason I was thinking of Theo as a 5. I guess I haven't seen him play, but have just heard about his inside skills so was thinking he was a 5. Having a strong inside PF to go along with Josh will be kinda nice - we can really mix it up against opposing post players. First make them drift around the perimiter with Josh until we've run them ragged, then bang inside with Theo when they're already tired...

That's nice to hear that we're covered there for the near future - that also eases our logjam at the 5 (Kuso, Sacre, Foster). I also believe that Ira would be a pretty strong PF against most WCC squads due to his athleticism and strength alone. Whether or not he could duplicate that against stronger oppostion... who knows.

I'm sure Osweiler will be a great PF when he finally gets to GU.

roxdoc
04-21-2007, 12:30 PM
From what I have read on this board, initially it could be a battle between Kuso and Davis for the starting 5 position. Sacre and Foster will come on as the season passes and perhaps then Davis could be sharing time with Josh.

HillBillyZag
04-21-2007, 12:49 PM
If Brad Tinsley has the talent to play Div.1 baseball, why not give him a baseball Scholarship and have him walk on for basketball. If he has the desire and can hack the academics while being a two sport athlete, more power to him. And if things change other arrangements could possibly be worked out in following years.

Nevtelen
04-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Is that allowed? I'm not sure if the NCAA permits that. Otherwise all the big-time schools would field a crappy, under-funded track team or something just so they could get extra bball or football players schollies.

azzagfan
04-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I'll be attending the Arizona Cactus Classic from 18-20 May at U of A in Tucson. Here's a list of the teams http://www.azcactusclassic.com/teamrosters.html. No rosters yet, but I'll try to keep an eye out for any participating Zag potential recruits. Last year, Daye and Gray were both all-tourney.

brasszag
04-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Is that allowed? I'm not sure if the NCAA permits that. Otherwise all the big-time schools would field a crappy, under-funded track team or something just so they could get extra bball or football players schollies.

There's a heirarchy of scholarships

If I recall, multi-sport athletes cannot play a higher tier sport than what sport their scholarship is designated.

Roughly it goes:
Football
Basketball
Baseball
Non-revenue sports (including hockey and track)

roxdoc
04-21-2007, 02:48 PM
So if you are correct, someone could have a baseball schollarship and play basketball as a walk-on?

LynetteG
04-21-2007, 02:51 PM
So if you are correct, someone could have a baseball schollarship and play basketball as a walk-on?

i interpreted it the other way. someone could have a basketball scholly and play baseball.

Nevtelen
04-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey, that's okay. He's a 3 sport standout, right? GU's football team is coming off an undefeated season, but they could maybe use him. We could just give him a football scholarship, right? :)

saintzag
04-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Back in the mid SIXTIES,gave half scolies for baseball and half for basketball and the recipient played both sports.

BobZag
04-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Not bad for a soph. He looks to be an Austin Daye type, ie, long, thin and full of potential.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mxp/California/Boys_Varsity_Basketball_Winter_06-07/AreaID-6a052e46-3214-44bc-9e4d-031df0bae7c0/SchoolID-9fa535b2-64c5-4f5c-b2d6-6c080ed3a45f/AthleteID-8c5f8a20-5f28-4272-8c2c-26a66701a1e1

I'd take him for 2009.

Birddog
04-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Not sure about the hierarchy, but if a student athlete plays two sports, he must play the sport he got the scholly in first. i.e., if he received a baseball scholly, he would have to play baseball before playing basketball.

Birddog

sittingon50
04-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Someone with more knowledge than I can clarify, but there are very few full ride baseball players. I think they get less than half the scholies they need to field a team (around 30 guys). You see a lot of guys get 25%, 33%, 40%, etc.
A guy has to be an absolute stud to get a full ride.

Birddog
04-22-2007, 10:27 AM
All you need to know
http://www.campuschamps.com/rulebook/ncaa_scholarship_limits.shtml

Birddog