• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Few Show-EWU;Okla;Illinois

Finally got a chance to get this on the board. Few opened the show saying he was really, really happy with the way the kids put Duke behind them and played well against Eastern Wash. That gave us a springboard to Oklahoma which is a really talented team, a team with a lot of NBA level talent. Heister asked about the broken backboard break and Few said of course that is not something you face every day. We were playing really well at that point and I was concerned what would happen with that additional break, but we came out and played well afterwards. Regarding the Illinois United Center game Few said that was the first time in a while they had sold out a regular season game there. Said even though we had a big lead, in this day and age there is a shot clock, a team is going to get like a 100 possesions so those big leads aren't alway going to hold up. Plus Illinois was shooting a lot of jumpers early on, then started attacking the basket, went smaller and caused us some problems.

Heister asked if Few thought the team had a shot at 11-3 before the season. Few said I would have thought you were crasy, absolutely nuts. Nobody has played the schedule we have played, or traveled like we have. We lost to three quality teams, Mich. St., the blowout at MSG, and the Harris tech. foul game against Wake.

Talked about the decade of excellence. Said the GU brand has grown every year since, sometimes incrementally sometimes by giant leaps. National TV and print media exposure huge help. Personality and style of our players and Heister said and the hair and Few said, yes the hair. Few said I hear from a lot of people all over the country who root for us. Heister asked about the level of responsibility piloting a program like GU and Few said yeah, I can't go anywhere without someone knowing me. But the recognition makes recruiting easier. Said our guys work hard and deserve the recognition. It's been a fun ride.

Fan question from Jeff from Liberty Lake WA. How disruptive are early departures for the NBA. Few said very but in GU's case they have been able to plan for it more or less as the guys who left early didn't come to GU as one and dones. Our guys developed into great players (Adam & Daye for instance) but it does disrupt your plans for the future teams, obviously. Heister asked if Few would take an obvious one and done, and Few said you are always going to take a great player. Having guys from your school in the NBA is great for team and the school.

Spoke some about the meaning of the Ronald McDonald House game. There was a feature about a kid name Giovanni, 10 or so from Montana who had front row seat at the game. Kid loves the Zags and he's fighting leukemia, I believe. Few said it's nice for our players to have an impact on the cancer patients but he thinks the kids impact the players more. We love visiting the McDonald House and the Union Gospel Mission, a facility in Spokane for the homeless etc. Said the perspective our kids get from those visits is a great growth tool in the lives of our players.

Regarding the beginning of the WCC. Said we took a couple days off after getting back from Illinois and now we are going to work on some things we need to work on for ourselves rather than preparing for other teams. Things like cutting down on turnovers and playing some defense. Portland was picked second and they are very good and will be ready for us. And St. Mary's looks like a contender. Every road game for us is a war but playing before 15,000 at Mich. St, big crowd at Madison Square Garden and 20,000 at sold out United Center has prepared us for the road.

End of show!!!
  • HRZag
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

Sec116, great summary. Thank you so much for providing lots of detail too.

We who live away from the mothership really appreciate it.

Apparently nothing said about Andy? Too bad, he is a good kid.

Can't wait for Saturday. Go Zags.

Comment

• Section 116
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The Few show in this thread was broadcast on Sunday. I recorded it and just got around to watching. The Poling news didn't break until yesterday (Monday).

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

good job 116

thanks.

Go TEAM Zags !
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

Section 116 is a modest man, and doesn't like to talk about it, but his tale of service to his country during the Cold War should not go unnoticed.

In high school, one of his astute teachers noticed that he had quite large ears. Enormous ears, actually. Long story short, the right people in Washington heard about this amazing attribute, and he was enlisted into the government's service as a CIA spy.

He was sent overseas with a micro recorder implanted in each of his ears. He was promised that, upon retirement, the recorders would be surgically removed. However, tragically for 116, the Cold War ended, and no one would admit to using him as a spy. Thus, the recorders are still in his ears, and the real winners in all this are those of us on the board who receive his very accurate transcripts.

Thank you, CIA! Thank you, 116!

Comment

• OZZY
            Zag for Life
            • Aug 2009

Thanks 116, the report is most appreciated by overseas types too!

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Great recap by 116. I just got done watching the latest show as well.

i uploaded the first four Mark Few shows here:

the next four shows will be uploaded tomorrow, for those that are interested in watching.

Go Zags....Beat Pilots!

Comment

• Section 116
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Thanks for uploading the shows Zagman, that will be better than my recaps. I'm sure those out of the viewing area will appreciate being able to see for themselves rather than reading my recaps. And those recorders in my ears are getting dated. Thanks for blowing my cover ElVoce.

Comment

• dazags
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Nov 2007

Muchas Gracias Section & Zagman. Your time & effort are very much appreciated!

Comment

• RenoZag
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dazags View Post
                    Muchas Gracias Section & Zagman. Your time & effort are very much appreciated!
                    Ditto ! Thanks for helping us in the boondocks.
                    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Zagineer
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

Section 116 - A great post. Your transcript is right on. I know for a fact because Comcast Seattle aired it this evening on FSN.

Thanks for posting so that all of ZagNation could enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                      X