PDA

View Full Version : How'd the Zags do it?

BobZag
04-20-2007, 11:03 AM
In 2003-04 the Zags went 29-3. Blake Stepp was the primary PG with then-frosh Derek Raivio backing him up. Kyle Bankhead could help, if need be, but he was no PG.

How will these Zags ever survive with only Pargo and Bouldin? How on earth will the ball get up the court?

Doom!

ZagDaddy
04-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Geez Bob! You surprise me. The answer is so obvious. Move Will over to the point! :lmao:

Rubbadub
04-20-2007, 11:12 AM
last year pargo played b/w 25-30 minutes a game as the primary ball handler, with a total of about 34 minutes played per game. Bouldin played 28 minutes a game, with a little of that at pg. If respectively they both only raised up a little bit in minutes played, say to 35 and 30 respectively, which i think they will, pg minutes would be covered between the two and 15 minutes of sg could be taken up by Gray easily. In a 8 or 9 man rotation such as GU usually runs, there aren't going to be more than 3 guards getting alot of playing time anyway. Hence last year with Pargo, Bouldin and Drav.

Edit: I'm sure LG could play some SG if we needed him to as well

EL MUSTACIO
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Point taken Bob. We will be fine next year. I thoroughly agree. When has it all not been fine. We are the mighty GU and there is no way the coaches would get paid as much as they do if they were not professionals.

If ESPN is pre-ranking us #13, it probably means were top ten material seeing how they screw us every poll. We will definetly be fine. Actually, just like that Switchfoot song, well be "more than fine...More than just ok."

There should be no worries for next year. We have this year as a down one. We had a down year in 06-07. Next year will be different. I remember last summer. I felt like GU would be untouchable forever. Then we started really strong and fell apart. We just had a down year. As long as the shrooms incident is totally dead, there is 100% reason to look forward to GU basketball. Just my 2 cents...

JLGutrocks
04-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I think Micah, Larry (if healthy), or Austin could pick up the slack at the 2 long enough to give Pargo or Matt a breather. We're so stacked (barring injury). This is going to be so much fun I can hardly wait.:D

youreachiteach
04-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Few loves playing his PG 40mins a game, so whats the problem here? Pargo will play the whole game, so will Bouldin. They will barely get by in the wcc, but come tourney time, they will be dead tired, hence give up easy scores and their shooting % will drop at the end of games as well.

sonuvazag
04-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Point guards?! We have Pargo and Bouldin and we're worried about point guards?! Point guards?! We talking about point guards?! We're talking about Gonzaga, Guard U. and we talking 'bout point guards?! Point guards?!

Zag79
04-20-2007, 01:13 PM
:lmao:

sittingon50
04-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Was that your AI or Jim Mora impersonation?:p

Zagster
04-20-2007, 08:44 PM
We will need a stud at Point gurad in the 08 class.

LargeWilliam
04-21-2007, 04:40 AM
Roberto you big tease you..... so where is this one from? Europe? Canada? Bermuda? St. Croix? Iceland? New Zealand? Nepal?

MickMick
04-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Lord help us if Pargo runs the offense non-stop. I have never seen a college player turn the basketball over more than he did his freshman year (and still get playing time). Much improved for his sophmore season, but he does have the history of being careless with the ball. Talk about all the eggs in one basket.

roxdoc
04-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Freshman history is just that History! I thought Pargo did a decent job last year considering that sometimes he felt he had to put the team on his shoulders. This year much more talent to work with - he will do just fine.

sittingon50
04-21-2007, 08:31 PM
JP was 1st in the WCC in Assists this season & 6th in A/TO ratio. So guess he was better than a "few" people.

VinnyZag
04-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Lord help us if Pargo runs the offense non-stop. I have never seen a college player turn the basketball over more than he did his freshman year (and still get playing time). Much improved for his sophmore season, but he does have the history of being careless with the ball. Talk about all the eggs in one basket.

I have ... Raivio in his freshman year.
Why does everybody have to bag on my boy Pargo all the time?

btzag
04-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Yes, exactly. You almost NEVER see a freshman PG look good for the whole season so discussing Ravio or Pargo in their freshman season is a waste of time. Pargo did improve greatly in his soph year and hopefully makes another jump this next year. What I'm looking for from Pargo this next year:

- Look to pass and create for others as first option, second option, third option, ......
- Don't feel you need to carry the team at ANY time. Too much talent for anyone to have that attitude and you can tell Pargo had that feeling at times last year.
- Work on outside shot all summer to keep defenders honest.
- Put as much effort into playing defense as you do on offense.

The PG needs to be the catalyst on offense and involve all his teammates especially this group with all the offensive options. I hope Pargo's game is pass first, lockdown defense, and score when he's needed and I think you will see great things from the Zags. Really looking forward to seeing his development over the summer.

RebornZag
04-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Thinking back at our point guards beginning with the '99 class I definately see that the Zags have had point guards that can score. I can't think of a better climate for Point Guards to grow and mature in. My first observation is that PG's usually come into their own their Junior year at GU. A period of maturation seems to be required whether it's done by redshirting (Dickau) or just waiting your turn (Stepp waiting for Dickau to graduate). Raivio is the only guard since '99 who has started out as a PG and then moved to shooting guard. And the person to move him out was Pargo, so that speaks volumes to me. Pargo was 1st team WCC his Sophomore year and there were some pretty good guards in this league this year. That should speak volumes to doubters.

I think the Matt Bouldin is in the same spot Stepp was in as a Freshman and a Sophomore (waiting for Dickau to graduate). Matt is actually getting more time at the pg then Blake did his first two years at GU. I think Matt is going to be a great PG following in the line of those great GU Point Guards who went before him. IMO Gonzaga has two combo guards that will be as good as any who have gone before them. I really do NOT understand all the Pargo doubters here on this board. And someone saying that he needs to focus on defense. Pargo is THE BEST defensive guard that GU has had in a very long time. Oh well!!! I guess that's what makes this board so interesting. IMO Pargo will be up for All American honors next year.

sonuvazag
04-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Was that your AI or Jim Mora impersonation?:p

You're right. Jim Mora Coors Light commerial colored my memories of the infamous AI alltime youtube moment. Iverson was way funnier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

If Coach tells you that I missed practice, then that's that. I may have missed one practice this year but if somebody says he missed one practice of all the practices this year, then that's enough to get a whole lot started. I told Coach Brown that you don't have to give the people of Philadelphia a reason to think about trading me or anything like that. If you trade somebody, you trade them to make the team better...simple as that. I'm cool with that. I'm all about that. The people in Philadelphia deserve to have a winner. It's simple as that. It goes further than that ... If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice ... How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?[2]

Allen Iverson at a press conference on May 8, 2002

He said "practice" more times than he's actually practiced.
Larry Brown speaking to reporters the next day

btzag
04-22-2007, 11:22 AM
And someone saying that he needs to focus on defense. Pargo is THE BEST defensive guard that GU has had in a very long time.

The whole team needs to focus on defense, period. Until Pargo wins the defensive player of the year in the WCC he's not THE BEST defensive guard GU has had in a long time. How soon we forget about Knight

RebornZag
04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
btzag wrote: "How soon we forget about Knight." I think the reason for forgetting about Knight so easily is that he really didn't play an aweful lot for the Zags over his 3 years there. LG is also a great defensive player, but he's also been injured an awful lot, so maybe I forgot about him.

bt also wrote. "What I'm looking for from Pargo this next year:

- Look to pass and create for others as first option, second option, third option, ......
- Don't feel you need to carry the team at ANY time. Too much talent for anyone to have that attitude and you can tell Pargo had that feeling at times last year.
- Work on outside shot all summer to keep defenders honest.
- Put as much effort into playing defense as you do on offense."

I just happen to disagree with your assessment of Pargo's defense, and especially if you are saying he DOESN'T put as much effort into his defense as he does his offense. I think he puts more myself. But we do see Pargo differently.

roxdoc
04-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Was Knight a guard?

btzag
04-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Knight guarded many shooting guard's throughout his time here along with some SF's. Call him a guard/wing, whatever... And did he not win WCC defensive POY in 04/05? I believe he did, but either way I don't think you see any current guards playing defense with as much passion as Knight did. Difference of opinion on Pargo on his defense and maybe it's that zone that makes him blend in but our team consistently got torched from the outside which is usually defended by the guards....but maybe that was ALL the fault of Raivio, Bouldin, Downs, etc.......

MickMick
04-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I will be the first to say "I was dead wrong" if Pargo makes All American. I would love nothing better than for him to be an All American. I really try to pull for him.....but man he can frustrate the heck out of me. He is going to have to improve a great deal if Gonzaga is to reach the lofty goals I see on these message boards. Obviously we are not seeing the same guy.

ZagManFan
04-23-2007, 03:50 AM
He is going to have to improve a great deal if Gonzaga is to reach the lofty goals I see on these message boards

Especially being able to get of a DECENT shot or a shot at all in the last seconds of the game. Drove me nuts last year when he would start the offense with 5 seconds left and not even get off a shot.:mad:

roxdoc
04-23-2007, 06:06 AM
I agree - it drove me nuts too until I began to realize that the people he was supposed to pass to were not getting open. This could have been a function of the play set up or the other personnel on the team. The other side seemed to realize that DR was our "go to guy". I don't absolve Pargo completely, but I think it is a little more complex of a problem. One would like to think that next year's group will offer a bigger defensive challenge.

zaguarxj
04-23-2007, 07:14 AM
But seriously, would Jordan Mast be PG #3, if needed? Oh wait! I know! this looks like a job for "Pendo-Man!!!"

thespywhozaggedme
04-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, and God forbid one of the two pg's on the roster get's hurt.