PDA

View Full Version : Will Gibbs really be ready to take over next year, and play a full game?

BlueVoodoo07
01-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Only time will tell,but hmmmmmmmm

thespywhozaggedme
01-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Only time will tell,but hmmmmmmmm

Take over for who? Manny or BK will replace Matt as a starter; unless you mean take over for Meech.

BlueVoodoo07
01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
thats my thoughts to Grant might end up like Manny or Bk this year getting about 10 mins

webspinnre
01-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Its hard to look into the crystal ball that far ahead, but I'd guess Grant gets ~12-15 minutes next year as one of the first guys off the bench. Which, as a sophomore is very reasonable. That'd set him up for big roles as an upperclassman, which should be his goal.

bigblahla
01-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Looks like the rotation has been shortened to the starters plus Will, Bol, Manny and KO. Tough luck for Grant but he's just a red-shirt frosh.

Go!! Zags!!!

FlyZag
01-03-2010, 09:46 AM
GG will get considerable more minutes next year. Very well could start in MB's place just like he did at the Davidson game. BK and Manny play different styles than MB and GG. I personally see GG as an MB clone. Same size, passing and shooting %. GG just needs some court time... that will come. Hard to get on the floor when the guy you're backing up never gets in foul trouble and plays almost 40 per game. Sure Manny and Bol have been seeing PT but as I said before... they play different styles and are brought in for different reasons.

Zag79
01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
way far away, but from watching him play and looking at who we lose i would say that he will be our starting 2. manny and bol are more 3 and 4 type players in this system. also, GG has already shown a sweet stroke, the ability to defend, and his passing is stepp like. he'll be a great player at GU if you ask me.

CaseysShatteredBackboard
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Only time will tell... I'm sure GG will step up and be a great Zag in the future.

willandi
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I too think that GG has shown great court vision, stunning passing and a sweet stroke, plus the understanding of all facets of the game that a coaches son should have.
I think that he could take Matt's place and do well. By his senior year he may be one of our best.

cjm720
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Next year's rotation will even be more interesting than this years IMO. I see Manny or Bol starting in replace of MB with GG as top 3 off the bench depending on match-ups.

Go Zags!!!

former1dog
01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
GG will get considerable more minutes next year.

I don't think the rotation will be so short in some of our WCC games. Grant will get some minutes this season.

Just A Zag
01-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't think the rotation will be so short in some of our WCC games. Grant will get some minutes this season.

exactly. Few couldn't really play him in games like Illinois because the game got tight and Bouldin and Gray needed to stay in as long as possible. This won't be the case once the WCC rolls around (hopefully)

Crazy
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I am not the biggest expert on the Zag(i just watched 5-6 games so far, and read a bit about the others), i'll think he will contribute the next season. Bol and Manny have to replace Bouldin somehow, but cann't take over his part in organizing the game which will be the work for Meech or GG.

I

UberZagFan
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Has conference play even started yet?

alldaye
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Well Grant did get the start against Davidson over Manny and Bol, but I do believe Bol will start next year, and Manny will get 20 min's at least. However, I do think Grant Gibbs will be ready to start, if he is given the nod. He is such a calming factor, and he seems to be the 2nd best passer on the team behind Matt. He's a good shooter, and will improve a lot before next year. Also, he's somewhere between 6-4 and 6-6. He looks really tall on the court to me, and having a player so close to Matt Bouldin's skill set next year would be great. I think Grant will be starting after Meech leaves, and maybe even after Gray's senior year.

Ezag
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Forget about next year for now and enjoy this season!

HillBillyZag
01-04-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree, nextyear will take care of itself. As I've said before on other threads, Matt knows what Few expects of him, and he'll be ready to assume the responsibility when his time comes.

Once and Future Zag
01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Manny and Bol certainly bring as lot of positives to the court, but if we exclude Grant from major minutes next year, then we're a very weak passing team relatively speaking, with Steven being the best of the bunch left after Matt's graduation.

Grant brings a little extra something to the mix by being able to take the potential of the other 4 guys on the court and maximize how much of it gets utilized.

cjm720
01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I just don't get the comparison's to Bouldin. Sure he can pass and they're similar size, but Bouldin's strenths are his ability to drive (great at hesitations) and post. GG has not demonstrated this ability (yet?).

dnj116
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I just don't get the comparison's to Bouldin. Sure he can pass and they're similar size, but Bouldin's strenths are his ability to drive (great at hesitations) and post. GG has not demonstrated this ability (yet?).

I just got done watching the EWU game again where GG got considerable time at the end of the game (along with the other freshman) and I noticed several things. Among the freshman on the court with him (GJ, Olynyk, Manny), GG seemed the most mature in the sense of not playing rushed and having an overall sense of what to do. I did notice a play where GG did one of Bouldin's hesitation drives that worked to perfection but there was a poor pass to him which resulted in a turnover. I believe GG will be an excellent guard in the future of Gonzaga.

On a side note, after watching the last few minutes of the EWU game (on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5D83157ADEF969FD&search_query=Eastern+washington+at+gonzaga)) I noticed how GJ is often very rushed and tries to create too much offense. I believe that this can easily be rectified, and coach Few is keeping the reigns on him until he is molded into the system. Coming out of high school so highly touted, I believe he is trying to do too much with his limited time, and instead could be better utilized if he were to take a role like Meech did last year.

mgadfly
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Do we need a starter's chart to go with our prospect's & Scholarship charts?

2010:
PG: Meech (So)
SG: Bouldin (Sr)
SG2: Gray (Jr)
PF: Harris (Fr)
C: Sacre (So)

2011:
PG: Meech (Jr)
SG: Gray (Sr)
SF: Kong (Jr) (Few loves offense, this is destined to happen)
PF: Harris (So) (2 and done, or will height have NBA scouts concerned enough he stays?)
C: Sacre (Jr)

2012:
PG: Meech (Sr)
SG: Arop (Jr)
SF: Kong (Sr)
PF: Dower (So)
C: Sacre (Sr)

2013:
PG: Bell (So) (I think this is a longshot, but I'd love to sign him)
SG: Dranginis (So)
SF: Arop (Sr)
PF: Dower (Jr)
C: Olynyck (Sr)

Now that we have that settled, we can all go back to enjoying 2010.

Darth Zag
01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
doubt olynyk will ever be the Center. By then we should have a new Center or go with 2 power forwards. Wiltjer could be a zag to.

jazzdelmar
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
GG is no MB, will prob never be. simply compare MB as a frosh w GG as a redshirt frosh.....there is none....not to say GG cant be a serviceable guard but w the signing of Kyle and the trolling for another guard for nxt yr (one hopes) or beyond, GG will have to fight to play a lot.....still, a great kid and teammate....and a team first player.....

mgadfly
01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
doubt olynyk will ever be the Center. By then we should have a new Center or go with 2 power forwards. Wiltjer could be a zag to.

There was no other bigs to plug into that spot, so I figured we'd be playing small ball that season. :D

75Zag
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I salute those of you who are compulsively worrying about events in November 2010 - April 2011. If I can just find my car keys and remember where I am supposed to be at 6 pm tonight I will be happy.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Reborn
01-06-2010, 06:24 AM
I think some people forget that this is a discussion board. This is (has been) a very slow week for GU hoop fans. So, why not discuss something that is very relavent. We do have a log jam at the wings: Kong, Arop and Gibbs. One of these 3 guys will take Matt's place as a starter next year. My best guess is that it will be Kong. He's the first wing player off the bench right now. Gibbs was the first up until just recently, but I think that that was mostly because Few felt that Bol just wasn't quite ready yet. Gibbs and Arop will battle next year to be the first player off the bench. I think right now it's a toss up. It seems to me that in the tougher games especially, Arop gets more minutes, and Arop can also play the 4, and in fact, has probably gotten more minutes at the 4 then at the 3. I do think Gibbs has a solid role on the team, but with the guys coming into the program in 2011 I think he may never be a starter. But I think he has talent, and good size, and is a great passer, so if he CAN improve offensively anything is possible for Grant. I do think he loves being a Zag, and that's really important. He just needs to work harder to improve his Offense, so he can score more, if he is ever going to be a starter.

cjm720
01-06-2010, 06:43 AM
GG will see more time that Kyle D - Junior vs. Frosh. No question. Now, Gary Bell is another conversation, but given Few's record he'd likely go with the vet. GG will see a lot of time during his tenure.