PDA

View Full Version : Coaches on the court during play

IdahoTJR
01-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Is it me, or are the coaches creeping out further and further on the court during play? Weber was way out on the court several times today, and I have seen Few drift out on the court several times this year.

I know that they are jamming as many seats in as possible and there is little room on the sidelines for the coach to wander, but it just seems to me that they are drifting further out this year than most. I guess they will have to disrupt play before a ref will "T" them up.

Zagnailler
01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
This is one of my pet peeves. Move them all off the court and let the players have the stage.

mgadfly
01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Is it me, or are the coaches creeping out further and further on the court during play? Weber was way out on the court several times today, and I have seen Few drift out on the court several times this year.

I know that they are jamming as many seats in as possible and there is little room on the sidelines for the coach to wander, but it just seems to me that they are drifting further out this year than most. I guess they will have to disrupt play before a ref will "T" them up.

I think it is just you. They always seem to be on the court and it is usually tolerated unless the coach gets in the play or runs into an official. Coaches don't take the coaching box serious unless they get that first warning (except for that coach who seatbelts himself into his seat).

It's better than ten to fifteen years ago when you had the coach AND his assistants standing on the court at times. That was a point of emphasis at some point and the rules committee made the changes that put restrictions on assistants to keep them out of the way.

It is annoying, but I don't think it is any worse than other years.

Crusader Rick
01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Ernie Kent is as bad an offender as anyone on this, including on the play where WSU got T'd after Casto's game winning shot.

BobZag
01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Not sure if it has gotten worse. When the Zags lost to UCLA a few years ago, Howland almost took a charge from Adam during the crazy ending. He could've easily intercepted the pass.

Radbooks
01-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I've noticed it too, and most of the time it doesn't bother me because they aren't close to the action. However, there was one time that I thought that Weber was almost interfering with our guys when we were bringing it up court... mostly in the sense that it could have been a distraction for them. He was close to 1/2 court and probably a foot or more on the court.

Speaking of the WSU technical the other night, did anyone notice Grant holding back the players at the end of the game? I'm sure the coaches talked to the players about not rushing onto the court before the game was over!

mgadfly
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I've noticed it too, and most of the time it doesn't bother me because they aren't close to the action. However, there was one time that I thought that Weber was almost interfering with our guys when we were bringing it up court... mostly in the sense that it could have been a distraction for them. He was close to 1/2 court and probably a foot or more on the court.

Speaking of the WSU technical the other night, did anyone notice Grant holding back the players at the end of the game? I'm sure the coaches talked to the players about not rushing onto the court before the game was over!

Yeah, I noticed GG holding them back. Heady move, its nice to have someone into the game like that on the bench.

willandi
01-02-2010, 02:51 PM
If you are a player, and the other teams coach is on the floor, shouldn't you run into him if you have the chance? That should be an obvious and instant "T".