PDA

View Full Version : Foster's one-handed Free Throw attempts

ZagsGoZags
01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
What is the deal with Will's one handed FT's? It looks unstable, and terrible. Its the kind of shot we all take when we are goofing around under the basket, and getting tired, and silly. Is there anybody in college or NBA ball who has regularly shot free throws with one hand?

I sure hope this technique was worked out with him and the coach who helps our players with FT's.

The accuracy of the shots was just as terrible as the shot itself looked, as I recall they were way off.

Horned Frog
01-01-2010, 05:26 PM
His form has been changed from last year (when he shot poorly then, too) but it's not working. He should at least put his left foot closer to the line, like a natural shooting stance would be. Of course, I'm all for teaching him the Rick Barry style.

bballbeachbum
01-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Is there anybody in college or NBA ball who has regularly shot free throws with one hand?

Don Nelson, John Havlicek, and Shaq currently...must be others...Billy Owens because Don Nelson taught it to him because Billy wasn't so good from the stripe...Artis Gilmore I think, too :)

must be others

gamagin
01-01-2010, 05:37 PM
swinging like a catapult, shooting a watermelon. Which is fine if its a catapult shooting a watermelon where being in the right zipcode is the goal.

FuManShoes
01-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I wonder why more guys with bad touch don't just try for a bank shot from the stripe. Seems that way you eliminate one axis and just have to worry about tossing it straight.

DickausBuzzerBeaters
01-01-2010, 05:58 PM
The problem is BIG kids aren't taught any of the basic drills that guards are taught at ALL, ever. Shooting, passing, court awearness, ect... Just because the guy has always been huge, doesn't mean he shouldn't have been taught how to shoot a jumper or pass the ball.

gamagin
01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
The problem is BIG kids aren't taught any of the basic drills that guards are taught at ALL, ever. Shooting, passing, court awearness, ect... Just because the guy has always been huge, doesn't mean he shouldn't have been taught how to shoot a jumper or pass the ball.

he's been in a Zag uni for FOUR years. Osmosis could/should have kicked in by now, if nothing else.

The people picked at random out of the crowd for the halftime shooting contests have better delivery.

My 8 y/o grandson takes a better, more consistent, shot.

kclubfounder
01-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Granny Granny Granny. I'd much rather see a terrible miss Granny style than one handed. Come on Will, become a Granny expert. It will do wonders for your brand.

alldaye
01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Close to Shaq's. I honestly doubt he can fit his two big paws on the ball.

On another note, I honestly believe Will is vital to our success. He is huge off the bench. It seems like he gets us at least one easy bucket during the game, and his defense is always solid. Plus he adds rebounding. I hope he continues to get off the bench early and often throughout the season

bballbeachbum
01-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Close to Shaq's. I honestly doubt he can fit his two big paws on the ball.

On another note, I honestly believe Will is vital to our success. He is huge off the bench. It seems like he gets us at least one easy bucket during the game, and his defense is always solid. Plus he adds rebounding. I hope he continues to get off the bench early and often throughout the season

agreed...and another thing is the rest played better than they have together with him on the floor, like crashing the Dboards behind him with enthusiasm when he got his big hand up contesting shots, in anticipation that those shots had a good chance to miss when contested like that

as long as he keeps his feet down, he's plenty long to react without fouling and still mess up his share of the other guys' tries

FuManShoes
01-01-2010, 07:34 PM
agreed...and another thing is the rest played better than they have together with him on the floor, like crashing the Dboards behind him with enthusiasm when he got his big hand up contesting shots, in anticipation that those shots had a good chance to miss when contested like that

as long as he keeps his feet down, he's plenty long to react without fouling and still mess up his share of the other guys' tries

Will played great minutes and the Zags' lead swelled with him out there. He screws up the opponents' game and opens big ol' lansd to the hoop. He passed better and looked great on that fast break pass from Bouldin. Stand back and consider a 7'5" human is running all over the court. Is Will the tallest dude in D-I this season? Is he the tallest on a top 25 team? I'm betting yes on both counts. I'd like to see him as Sacre's sub. He can handle it.

ZagsGoZags
01-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Will is going to get his share of fouls when he is playing. I am sure the coaches have worked with him on his free throws. I feel better knowing Havlicek shot one handed FT's although when I watched the NBA then I don't recall that. Shaq must be recent because I have watched him shoot dozens or hundreds of FT's on TV (not recently) in my life and I think I would remember. Wilt Chamberlain shot lots of underhand grannies, and I have seen Shaq do that also.

Some big guys are all arm movement when they shoot FT's. The best shooters like Ravio and Daye use lots of wrist and finger action guided release. Maybe our coaches are trying to get Big Will to use his wrist and fingers more - that shot would increase reliance on more of a finesse release, I would think.

I am surprised with all the people on the board who know players, and who know coaches, that nobody has the scoop on this. I am sure I was not the only person shocked to see that FT release when it happened. I guess we are all spectators sitting around the campfire shooting the bull.

I was hoping somebody would actually know the answer to the question.

IdahoTJR
01-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Foster doesn't use his legs at all to shoot free throws. He just stands there and lets it fly. In my opinion, he needs to bend the knees a bit and push with the legs.

zaguarxj
01-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Granny Granny Granny. I'd much rather see a terrible miss Granny style than one handed. Come on Will, become a Granny expert. It will do wonders for your brand.

With the length of Will's arms, that'd make it about a 5' shot at the release point. Rick Barry sure made an art-form out of the granny-style free throw. Consitently the best free throw % in the NBA. Made 60 in a row at one point.

Ezag
01-02-2010, 09:35 AM
How come in 4 years no one taught Big Will how to properly shoot a free throw?

DickausBuzzerBeaters
01-02-2010, 12:25 PM
How come in 4 years no one taught Big Will how to properly shoot a free throw?

Oh you're going to get some NEG REP for that comment. God forbid you question ANYTHING or ANYONE at GU EVER!!