PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the opening line for the Gonzaga/Illinois?

gozagswoohoo
01-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm sittin in my hotel room in downtown Chicago, sooo pumped for this game.

holla

Section 116
01-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Vegas Insider.com says Illinois -5.5

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

zagfan24
01-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm in Chi as well and can't wait for the game...hopefully the guys are resting comfortably and can keep their momentum going. :D

willandi
01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Two guys walked into a bar...

gamagin
01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Jan. 2 Gonzaga
10 a.m. at Illinois
Favorite ILL -3

Zag4Hire
01-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Didn't see your thread that you usually put up so I am taking the initiative. Hopefully we all cashed our -7.5 Gonzaga tickets and hoping to make our first money of 2010 (unless you got thrashed today in the Bowl games :( ). I am sitting at 2-2-1 ATS with Gonzaga and I circled this one when the schedule was first released as being a difficult handicap. Both teams are about as close as you can get in Sagarin ratings (Illinois - 82.54; Gonzaga - 82.53). This also appears to be one of those games where you have to add up the factors that are not on paper (For example, flying to Chicago, any weather delays, problems with the plane, etc.). Furthermore on paper, I would say the stats lie (Illinois has better stats in various offense & defensive %'s and rebounding but Gonzaga SOS is a lot lower). Illinois is struggling this season, sitting at 4-10 ATS in last 14 games while Gonzaga is 4-1 ATS on a neutral court. The betting trends might see the line go down as Gonzaga is getting around 57% of the action and some books are offering the game at -2.5.

So how does it go down? I don't like Illinois' neutral court record (0-5 ATS in last 5) and it is nice to know that Gonzaga has already had some big stage games for the youngins. This game, and most games of late for that matter, remind me of the quote by Pericles:

I am more afraid of our own mistakes than of our enemies' designs.

Gonzaga just can't beat themselves. I think they stay at home in the zone, force the Illini to him some 3's ( you know they will) but as long as they can control the boards and hit their FTs, they should be fine. I think this will be their closest matchup yet since the Cincinnati game. I think in OT, Gonzaga not only covers but gets the SU win!

Gonzaga 88 Illinois 86

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
No one has said "we're doomed" yet, so I guess I'll do it... We're doomed. ;)

MickMick
01-01-2010, 09:25 PM
In my mind, the biggest single factor will be the short duration of time to prepare from a coaching standpoint.

If the Zags run their offense similar to how they did against Oklahoma, they should represent themselves well.

The last game on CBS was a complete debacle. I just don't want anything like that again.

RenoZag
01-01-2010, 09:27 PM
The last game on CBS was a complete debacle. I just don't want anything like that again.

+ 1