PDA

View Full Version : Majerus to SLU?

ZagNative
04-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Phognet is posting an uncredited rumor (http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=172&FIX=1#S=172&F=2481&T=424172) that SLU President Biondi and the Bilikins' AD are traveling to Chicago to meet with Majerus, with an offer on the table for Majerus to come and coach for 3-5 years, provided he brings a good assistant, groomed to take over at the end of that time.

There was an earlier post on this board about the sudden recent firing of Brad Soderberg. At least one columnist in St. Louis (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/891A955670288E87862572C10014A6B4?OpenDocument) is seriously ticked off and extremely critical of SLU President the Rev. Lawrence Biondi:

Biondi's gutless hit-and-run job embarrasses SLU
By Bernie Miklasz
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
04/18/2007

After another disgraceful chapter in its basketball history, SLU will begin another coaching search. And after shameful episode, how can [AD] Levick stay in this job? How can Levick possibly hire the next coach? By taking away Levick's power as the direct supervisor of the men's basketball program, Biondi destroyed any credibility Levick can bring to the hiring process. Potential candidates will laugh at the notion that Levick has any authority, or that she can protect them from her meddling boss. She's done.

Biondi is unequivocally in charge of basketball. And this tells us a lot. Because Biondi is the boss, SLU basketball continues to wallow in mediocrity, many years after his blustery, laughably hollow pledge to have a top 50 men's basketball team.

And because Biondi is the boss, the SLU coaching job is among the worst in NCAA Division I. Tuesday's gutless hit-and-run job confirmed that all over again.

In today's column, Miklasz continues to tear Biondi a new one:

Promises are made, but SLU coaches eventually find themselves frustrated and demoralized. And the feeling of futility sets in. And I've seen this job gradually break down solid veteran coaches, and good men. Rich Grawer, Charlie Spoonhour and Brad Soderberg all reached various stages of exasperation.

That frustration can stem from big things, such as the basketball budget. In 2006, the SLU's men's basketball-expense budget was $2.1 million. I went to midmajority.com to see what other Catholic institutions invested in basketball. And Marquette ($7 million), Georgetown ($4.9 million), Boston College ($4.7 million), St. John's ($3.7 million), Providence ($3.5 million), Xavier ($3.3 million) Creighton ($3.1 million), DePaul ($2.8 million) and St. Joseph's ($2.5 million) put more dollars in 2006 into men's basketball.

Or the frustration can come from a hundred little things, such as the way the Billikens travel, or the way coaches are nitpicked over expenses. Because of the Biondi Effect, a SLU coach risks being overwhelmed by the small-time blues.

As an interesting aside, I note the author didn't cite Gonzaga's Basketball expense, $1,935,4911, a couple hundred thousand dollars less than SLU's, with a model basketbal program.

Of Majerus he says:

The Biondi Effect is why SLU must be very, very careful in choosing a new coach. Beware the former coaches who are ESPN stars. They have egos, are used to nice and cushy things and will demand power. There's no way a Rick Majerus can co-exist with Biondi. And SLU must also avoid potential burn-out guys (Pete Gillen) who may have lost their fastball.

Anyone with a good feel for the Bilikens' program who can tell whether this guy is all wet about St. Louis University's problems with their basketball program?

CDC84
04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Very interesting.....that would put some rear ends in the seats at the new arena. There is also some talk of SLU moving to the MVC. Don't know how credible it is.

ZagNative
04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Very interesting.....that would put some rear ends in the seats at the new arena. There is also some talk of SLU moving to the MVC. Don't know how credible it is.

I wonder what the source of that rumor is and what the rationale would be for changing conferences. Looks like it would make no sense, moving from a conference of mostly private, mostly Catholic universities (Atlantic10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Ten_Conference)), which includes schools like Xavier, Duquesne, Dayton, and St. Joseph's) to a conference of mostly public universities (MVC, including Southern Illinois, Wichita State, Bradley and Creighton (the only Catholic University in the MVC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference)). Is the A-10 too big, too many schools?

Got to wish the Bilikens the best, even though it sounds as if their enemy is within.

zagster318
04-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I wonder what the source of that rumor is and what the rationale would be for changing conferences. Looks like it would make no sense, moving from a conference of mostly private, mostly Catholic universities (Atlantic10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Ten_Conference)), which includes schools like Xavier, Duquesne, Dayton, and St. Joseph's) to a conference of mostly public universities (MVC, including Southern Illinois, Wichita State, Bradley and Creighton (the only Catholic University in the MVC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference)). Is the A-10 too big, too many schools?

Got to wish the Bilikens the best, even though it sounds as if their enemy is within.

That being said, the MVC makes more sense from a geographical perspective. Saying St. Louis is near the Atlantic is the equivalent of TCU(Located in Ft. Worth, TX) being in the Mountain West. To reiterate, neither makes any sense.

CDC84
04-20-2007, 08:08 AM
The two reasons that are being used for a possible SLU move to the MVC are:

1) geographical
2) the A-10 has too many bottom feeder teams that drag the league down

The A-10 had 5 teams with 222+ RPI's last season, including a 290 team (St. Bonnie's). The team with the worst RPI in the MVC last year was Indiana State at #139. St. Louis was one of several A-10 schools whose RPI was severely damaged by having to play such bottom feeder teams..in some cases twice in the same season.

I think you are going to see some changes in the A-10 in the next few years.....they just have too many teams, and too many teams that drag the league down that just can't realistically compete with the top dogs in the league in terms of facilities, money, and recruiting pull.

gozagswoohoo
04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
I was playin basketball down at the park yesterday (in Missouri, for those of yans who don't remember) and EVERYONE there was talking about this. Hey...whatever gets Majerus off the broadcasting waves is a plus for me! Go SLU!

CDC84
04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
The problem with Majerus at SLU though is that St. Louis has some awfully good BBQ.......

gamagin
04-20-2007, 08:42 AM
involves a fully comped street level bachelor pad at granny's buffet and a "do not resuscitate (if he's over 500 and/or under .500)" wrist band.

drnoe
04-20-2007, 08:55 AM
http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_5709802

"Dan Monson is the new Long Beach State basketball coach, and Dr. F. King Alexander, Vic Cegles, almost every 49er athletic booster I've spoken to and, of course, Monson himself are quite thrilled about such a development.

But it turns out that the school was thisclose to hiring, instead, Rick Majerus, one of the illustrious names in the sport who built a 422-147 record during his 20-year head coaching career that included stops at Marquette, Ball State and Utah and that also included 11 NCAA appearances.

Majerus departed Utah where he had his greatest success - his teams made it to the NCAA tournament 10 times during his 15 seasons in Salt Lake and the 1998 one lost to Kentucky in the championship game - because of health reasons halfway through the 2003-2004 season.

He consented to return to the sidelines soon after that when he accepted an offer to coach at USC, but quickly changed his mind, returning to his ESPN commentating duties.

It appeared that he had permanently given up the idea of coaching again, but he long has had a passionate fondness for Southern California.

When the Long Beach job opened, he became intrigued, and made contact with Vic Cegles through a mutual friend.

The two men met and talked often, and it appeared for a time that Majerus was destined for Long Beach.

But this is a man who has been battling a serious weight problem and has had several heart attacks, and was given a lifetime insurance policy while at Utah that might have been canceled - he won't be vested in it until next year - had he accepted the 49er position.

That proved to be the decisive factor in his reluctantly deciding not to come to Long Beach, even though he told both Cegles and Alexander that he badly wanted to.

It would have been a most interesting scenario had Rick Majerus succeeded Larry Reynolds, although I think Cegles and Alexander made a wise choice in Dan Monson."

HillBillyZag
04-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Coach Mejerus has forgotten more basketball than some coaching in Div.1 now will ever know. I enjoy listening to his color commentary on the tube. His pronunciation and other superficial mistakes are far outweighed (lol) by his knowledge of the game and his ability to translate its nuances into laymans terms. Above all, there is no denying his obvious love of the sport. I think at times we Zag fans judge media personalities more on the times and in the manner they describe/mention our players, Coaches, & program rather their other attributes. We wish our athletic programs to be elite, but lets not act like elitists.

ZagNative
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Hillbilly, agreed. I love the guy.

zagscardsfan4
04-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I hope he goes so i dont have to mute the TV anymore when he does color for the Zags. Although i'll miss the "prego" calls..