PDA

View Full Version : About The Newest Zag Kyle Dranginis

BobZag
12-30-2009, 09:37 AM
As mentioned in the original thread, Kyle is 6'4" and still growing (upwards and outwards) and is fully capable of playing PG and SG. Actually, he could even be a wing if Few wanted to go small for a while. So needless to say, he is versatile and not pigeon-holed into one position only. Kyle could easily be 6'5" or 6'6" by the time he walks on campus. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. But even at 6'4", he's a tall, long, big guard with a wide wingspan.

Kyle is a high basketball IQ guy. He is the son of a former basketball coach. He plays smartly. I have two game DVDs and I don't see one silly play in either game. His IQ is on a par with Blake or Matt. Kyle simply knows the game and how it ought to be played. This is what caught Few & Co's eye.

He is way under the radar or sonar or whatever tracking system you like. It was only a matter of time before the BCS vultures swooped in. As Few has done multiple times before with multiple Zags, he beat them to the punch.

I titled a thread not long ago "I don't want a 4 on 5 offense again" and we have no worries of that with Kyle on board. He shoots the trey at a 40-45% clip and knows how to fill it up from all over.

He is an exceptional passer, ala Stepp, Bouldin, et al, and as mentioned, a solid scorer/shooter and very intelligent.

In the end, Zag fans will dig this kid.

How does he fit? Ideally. If Gonzaga can bring in Gary Bell, Jr., Kyle and Gary would be a dynamic duo on a par with any backcourt Few has ever had, with a possibility of being the best. Each can play the 1 or the 2. What one might be weak at, the other will be strong at. They'd complement each other exactly the way all basketball fans dream of. Am I being too pollyanna-ish? Perhaps. But I've seen Kyle play two games (DVD) and I've seen Gary play in person at The Warehouse, and the above is how I see them together. High octane with elite level skills, not unlike Dickau-Stepp or Bouldin-Gray.

Don't sell Kyle short because he's from Nampa and not some big metro area. Every ten or so years a real gem emerges from the Treasue Valley. Cory Violette was the last one. Kyle is the latest. Too often fans get caught up in "where is he from" and "oh but he plays against poor competition". This kid lit it up on the AAU circuit last summer, but unfortunately the recruiting services didn't bother to watch Boise Flite White. They were too busy watching LA Pump 'n Run or the Compton Magic.

Want to watch Kyle for yourself, as a sophomore, in the clutch, leading Skyview to a State Championship? Don't take my word for it. See for yourself. You can order two of his state tourney DVDs from--

http://idahosports.com/tournaments/state/boysbasketball.aspx?sportid=5

Click on "Buy Game DVDs!" and type in "Skyview" in the Search and choose "0809 4A Boys State Tournament" in the "In Category" section. If you only wish to purchase one DVD, I recommend the quarterfinal game against Blackfoot. Kyle really shines in that OT game. Plus, the DVD is marked down in price. :)

Coach Few got a winner.

Now, Kyle is not perfect. He'll need to get physically stronger and step up his defensive intensity.

ZagNative
12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Thank you, BZ!

This thread needs a pic, of course! This one is fron the State Championship game vs. Pocatello last March:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Dranginis/2009-03-07KyleDranginisSkyviewPocat.jpg

Jedster
12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Slipper Still Fits just posted a good summary on Kyle also.

Exciting! Thanks for addressing a bit how this would impact with Gary Bell Jr. I was wondering about that. Wonder if in Gary's eyes this makes Gonzaga more or less appealing. Hopefully more!

mgadfly
12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Does anybody have his/Skyview's schedule available?

BobZag
12-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Few has to be laying out his vision of the future backcourt to both Kyle and Gary. Just bust out videos of Dickau-Stepp or have them watch Matt and Steven this year. Great guards want to play with great guards, they don't want to be the only good guard on the team and have everything put on them, with little help. In the past Few has explained very clearly to recruits how he envisions things. Probably no different than that with these two.

BobZag
12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Does anybody have his/Skyview's schedule available?

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/uWDeRcdsNEeP345NKNXO3A/skyview-hawks/basketball/schedule.htm

DickausBuzzerBeaters
12-30-2009, 10:56 AM
High basketball IQ? Coaches Son? No Mistakes? Can shoot the ball? Are we talking about Blake Stepp? Holy SMOKES I miss this type of player. If he can be HALF the player Stepp was, we will be in business. Welcome to the Zag nation, Kyle!

El Voce
12-30-2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/uWDeRcdsNEeP345NKNXO3A/skyview-hawks/basketball/schedule.htm

That Feb. 13 game against Mountain Home will be a toughie!:)

kitzbuel
12-30-2009, 11:28 AM
This kid lit it up on the AAU circuit last summer, but unfortunately the recruiting services didn't bother to watch Boise Flite White. They were too busy watching LA Pump 'n Run or the Compton Magic.

Unfortunate for whom? :D

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-30-2009, 11:50 AM
With a solid core of underlcassmen already in place and limited scholarships available for upcoming recruiting classes, there seemed to be a consensus that the staff needed to "shoot for the stars" when recruiting 2010 and 2011 prospects. However, I think we've learned in recent seasons that alleged "stars" of the high school game might not be the best or only options for GU. Recruiting services are businesses like any other; they're in it to make $$$, i.e. sell subscriptions. Consequently, they're more likely provide evaluations and write-ups on players in big cities that are being recruited by large schools in major conferences, and international recruits and players in small towns are more likely to be lost in the shuffle.

My point? Maybe "shooting for the stars" wasn't the right phrase to use when describing the attitude that the staff should take towards 2010 and 2011 recruiting. Given that the players the Zags need and want might not be a 5-star rated recruit by Rivals.com, I think what we want to see from the staff is patience, diligence, and discretion in making scholarship offers. Patience in ensuring a recruit's game is nicely progressing throughout his HS career. Diligence in scouring all the places less traveled to see if there might be a player in a dusty, old gym somewhere who has that perfect combination of ability and "true Zag" attitude. Discretion in ensuring only those truly elite players are offered the opportunity to wear a Gonzaga uniform.

Now, looking at Kyle's commitment to GU, did the staff exercise patience, diligence, and discretion? I think so. The Zags had lots of options when looking at backcourt prospects for 2010 and 2011, passing on many other PGs and SGs along the way, including prospects from the basketball hot beds of Chicago and Seattle. Instead, the Zags went to a state more known for its agriculture than hoops and found a player who possesses a game similar to some of the all-time GU greats.

Well done, Mark Few.

thespywhozaggedme
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey Bob, what's the latest on Pangos; is he still projected as a '12? I'm really excited about Dranginis; as I mentioned in my Decade of Excellence, I miss the pg's that could pass as equally well as they scored. Kyle and Kevin both fit that bill.

OZZY
12-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Spy, I would think that Kevin would still be of interest and would most likely be plan "B" if Bell Jr. falls through. Kevin will graduate in '11, but may end up going to prep school or redshirt. He is still listed as a '12 by Barry Hayes.

BobZag
12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Spy, I would think that Kevin would still be of interest and would most likely be plan "B" if Bell Jr. falls through. Kevin will graduate in '11, but may end up going to prep school or redshirt. He is still listed as a '12 by Barry Hayes.

What Ozzy said.

Kiddwell
12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Pronunciation guide for Kyle's last name, please.

:]

Average Joe
12-30-2009, 02:59 PM
It is pronounced like this. You have the word Ran after the D of the last name. So it is the word ran with a pronounced d in front of it. The last part GINIS is prounnounced like the book of world records. So it is a two syllable word. DRAN-GINIS.

Kiddwell
12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
It is pronounced like this. You have the word Ran after the D of the last name. So it is the word ran with a pronounced d in front of it. The last part GINIS is prounnounced like the book of world records. So it is a two syllable word. DRAN-GINIS.

Thanks, Joe.

ZagNative
12-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Just practicing ... "DRAN-GINIS for three!"

gamagin
12-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Just practicing ... "DRAN-GINIS for three!"

Close enough !

MDABE80
12-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Pronouce it right here and right now;)......he's going to be a super player for us. I love his vairety of shots...he's got goo speed and it'll get better as he matures. He's got a sense of where things are on the court. If he does a "Rotnei" he has the talent to be a super prep...and beyond..who knows?

ZagLawGrad
12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Not much about him out there, but loving everything I'm hearing

Zagatak
12-30-2009, 11:32 PM
How about Nick Johnson? What's the scoop on him?

ZagNative
12-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Word is his recruiting is a zoo. He's doing great at Findlay and still mentions the Zags, but he's going to take his time deciding, and he's looking BCS.

BobZag
12-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Here's some action pictures of Skyview vs Twin Falls earlier this season. Kyle is #3.

http://www.idahosportsnetwork.com/highschool/0910/steveconner/bbb/TwinFalls_Skyview_12-11/Photos.asp?S=0

There's 16 pages of photos.

Enjoy!

Radbooks
12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
From Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/dec/30/zags-sooners-collide-arena/) at the Spokesman:

I haven’t been able to connect with Kyle Dranginis, but I have confirmed the 6-4 guard from Skyview High in Nampa, Idaho, has verbally committed to Gonzaga. He’s a junior, so he’ll be in the 2011 recruiting class.

His father, Tim, told me Wednesday night that GU offered Dranginis a scholarship just before Christmas.

“He called the coaches back a day or two later and gave them a commitment,” Tim said. “It’s kind of a cool Christmas present.”

There is a little more information on the blog (about 1/2 down the page after the information about today's game) and Jim mentions that he hopes to post a little bit more about Kyle today.

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Here's some action pictures of Skyview vs Twin Falls earlier this season. Kyle is #3.

http://www.idahosportsnetwork.com/highschool/0910/steveconner/bbb/TwinFalls_Skyview_12-11/Photos.asp?S=0

There's 16 pages of photos.

Enjoy!

Man I'm getting old, they look like little kids in those pictures.

NoBS
12-31-2009, 10:59 AM
The Zags got one here. His dad was a coach and athlete, mom is tall and an athlete, his brother played JC bball, his both his sisters played college volleyball at the DII level.
I coached this kid in peewee soccer. As a 5 yr old the way he saw the field was like no other. He was one step ahead of everyone and understood the game. Watched him play baseball. It didn't matter what he played. He was the top player on the field. We could see that he was a natural athlete. Then my son played against him in peewee bball. My jaw dropped. As a second grader he was doing spin moves down the lane, jab stepping then popping back for the jumper, stepping back for threes. I sat there an thought "what a natural." I knew this kid was going D1 as a second grader. It was that obvious.

If our local school couldn't keep him, then I am glad that he will be a Zag.

Kiddwell
12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Welcome aboard, NoBS. Thanks for (1) the insights on Kyle and (2) your commitment to No "BS." <Kiddwell's ridiculous sense of humor precludes an equivalent commitment.> :)

zagzilla
12-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Watching Decade of Excellence last night with Mrs. ZZ (class of '89) and we both commented that we missed having a lethal 3point shooting threat the last 3 years or so. Pargo, Bouldin and Gray have had their moments but are streaky.

Those highlights of Frahm, Santangelo, Dickau, Stepp and even Raivio made me wish we could get another kid like that and today we may have.

Welcome Kyle!

ZZ

zagzilla
12-31-2009, 11:29 AM
NoBS = No Boise State?

Radbooks
12-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Gonzaga’s newest addition, 6-foot-4, 178-pound guard Kyle Dranginis, is a versatile, all-around player on the court and a solid student in the classroom, according Aaron Sanders, Dranginis’ coach at Skyview High in Nampa.

Dranginis, a junior who verbally committed to GU earlier this week, is the first member of the Bulldogs’ 2011 recruiting class. He was the Idaho Statesman newspaper’s 4A player of the year last season after leading the Hawks to an undefeated season and a 59-58 overtime victory over Pocatello in the state championship game.

“He has amazing court vision,” Sanders said. “For that reason he’s a really good passer, but he’s also able to see spots to drive to the basket. He’s playing with a lot more maturity. He started for us as a freshman and he was able to do things other kids’ couldn’t. He’s really good all around, he can shoot it, he handles it well, passes well. Defensively you look at him and wouldn’t think he’s really quick, but he’s smart and he has long arms.”

The rest of the article is here (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/dec/31/ou-and-newest-zag/), but so far Jim hasn't been able to connect with Kyle, he's just spoken with his father and also with his coach.

I love what I'm reading about this kid!

Angelo Roncalli
12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Here:

Gonzaga entered the recruiting picture in June.
“He got a call from the staff and they wanted him to come up for their elite camp two days later. I asked the coaches how they heard about him and they said the schools that come up to their camp said they needed to look at this kid,” said Tim Dranginis, who coached Kyle in AAU basketball during his middle school years. Tim is the athletic director at Notus High. He coached basketball at the school, but he stepped down so he could follow his kids’ sports activities.
“We came up there for the Wake Forest game on an unofficial visit,” Tim said. “We were at Utah State on Dec. 23rd and Kyle got a call from Coach (Mark) Few. He called back the next day and offered Kyle a scholarship. It’s kind of a cool Christmas present. Kyle called him back a day or two later and committed.”
Sanders said Dranginis “will probably take a year or two for his body to develop, but he’s got another year of high school. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not 6-5, 210 once he starts growing.”
Dranginis, who has a 3.5 grade-point average, has focused on basketball, but he was previously involved in track and cross country. Sanders said Kyle might high-jump this spring. http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/dec/31/ou-and-newest-zag/

mendiant
12-31-2009, 12:10 PM
I love it that he comes from a small town and is "under the radar".

Looking forward to watching him :)

webspinnre
12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
I also like the GPA - 3.5, very nice work.

Mallonoma
01-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Covered Kyle for two years, including his first game as freshman and last year's state championship game. A very cool customer to go along with the high basketball IQ. You want the ball in his hands, especially at the end of the game, because he makes things happen. Glad he is becoming a Zag!

spudzag
01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
The interchange between Kyle and Coach Few reminds me a lot of the one with Manny. (great recruiting story in the program at last nights game)

You've got to love the ability to find the recruits early and find the good ones who really want to be Zags. Pretty special.