PDA

View Full Version : The Zags & Sooners are young - KenPom

tightface
12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I know, we've beat this issue to death but I was checking out the KenPom "experience" ratings. Not sure of Ken's precise definition for this ranking, but I believe it is a calculation of a team's chief contributor's based on their years of collegiate experience.

Interestingly, the Zags are 312th in the country in contributing player's experience. It makes sense, and we aren't alone amid top programs that are having a youth movement.

New Year's Eve opponent, Oklahoma (308th in exp.), still utilize the veteran Tony Crocker quite a bit, but are paced by super sophomore Willie Warren and standout freshmen Keith "Tiny" Gallon and tough PG Tommy Mason-Griffin. The other notable frosh contributor that could hurt us on Thursday is shooter Stephen Pledger. He's built like Bouldin and likes to put up a lot of threes. He leads the team in 3PA, and is tied with Crocker for most 3PM. But Pledger is still dangerous inside the arc, making 77% of his 2pt shots!

Other notable programs around the country with less experienced players:
Oregon & Arizona (321 & 327th respectively) only play one senior with great regularity. Iowa, Washington State, and Indiana also only use one senior in their lineup.

The one that stands outs the most though is Kentucky. Ranked 332nd of 347 teams in terms of collegiate experience, the Wildcats top three contributors are frosh, and only have two seniors in their rotations (Ramon Harris and Perry Stevenson) and they combine to share just 25 minutes a game. I wonder if there has ever been a top 10 team with so few upper classmen. Maybe not since UNC with Felton, May, and McCants, although I can't remember their rank at the time.

WCC Teams with less experience than the Zags:
Santa Clara (340) & Pepperdine (318)

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-29-2009, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=tightface;504202]I I wonder if there has ever been a top 10 team with so few upper classmen. QUOTE]

Do you remember Michigan's Fab 5?

tightface
12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, that was almost 15 years ago. I'm trying to recall a more recent example in the one-and-done era.