• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Shadle vs Kentridge at 7:30pm Tuesday

Should be a tussle worth watching. If you want to see Gary Bell, Jr. in action against one of the GSL's best, go watch this game at SFCC. Then come back here and tell us all what you saw/your impressions.

Thanks in advance.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Just a reminder to post your comments in this thread re: Bell and tonight's game.

Comment

• mgadfly
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Kentridge, and specifically Bell, started the game on fire but was matched point for point by Shadle Park. In attendance was Mark Few and at least one of the assistants (and a whole bunch of the little guys). Kentridge was up 36-32 (I believe) at half behind Bell's 18 points.

Bell hit a three pointer and dished a couple of assists immediately after the break and they quickly went up 46-34. Shadle called a much needed timeout and regrouped. They were helped by the officiating when Kentridge's Devin Topps was called for his fourth foul and sent to the bench. Late in the third quarter Bell was whistled with his fourth foul (on a call that probably should have gone against his teammate) and he too went to the bench. Without two of their best four guys, Kentridge couldn't find any offensive production and Shadle was able to work their way back into it.

Even after Bell reentered the game it appeared as though Kentridge didn't have the enthusiasm or energy that Shadle did. Shadle eventually tied it up at 54 and then again at 56 but was struck a fatal blow by an 18 foot jumper by Bell that was the culmination of a possession where he missed three attempts in the paint, but was able to get two rebounds and on the third miss was able to wrestle the ball away from one of Shadle's big posts and somehow force it off him to get possession on an inbounds play. Shadle tied it but left too much time for Kentridge to hit a layin to go up 58-56 which was good enough for the win.

Bell and Zylstra (Kentridge's 6'5" forward) had very good first halves and scored most of Kentridge's points. They happen to be the team captains (or at least they appear to be since they meet with the refs at half court prior to the game). For Shadle, Brett Boese, a 6'7" sophomore according to the program, played an outstanding first half before conditioning became a factor in the second half (his shots came up short and he air-balled an open three that he would have hit in the first half). He's a true wing player that works hard on the glass and posts up strong in the paint. But he can also shoot out to three point range and has above average quickness for someone of his size.

Shadle had a great team effort and even when they were down 12 my wife said she thought they'd win it because "they have heart, they just want it more than those other guys." They are pretty talented too, but they certainly looked like they don't lack for hustle.

My one complaint after seeing Bell for the ONLY the second time, is that he reminds me of Gray or Sam Perkins in regards to attitude. His effort at the end when the game was on the line shows that he is a real competitor, but for most of the game he seemed too calm. But, I'd love to have a point guard like him, that can shoot lights out, has great leaping ability, and seems to be interested in getting the ball to his teammates. Wherever he plays, he'll be a good addition to that team.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

What a great game report! Wow. thanks, mgadfly!

Comment

• rawkmandale
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

I wish Shadle would have won.

Comment

• bigparb
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

Great report Streep Dog....err, uh......mgadfly!!!1

Comment

• northsidezagfan
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2009

i was at the game too but dont have too much to add to what has already been said. bell put on an absolute show in the first half: he hit 3s, drove to the rack, and hit midrange jumpers. he was completely unselfish passing the ball, and probably would have been close to a double double if his teammates finished a few more layups than they did. He was much more generous with the ball in the second half, i dont think he took more than about 8 shots after the break, including the aforementioned three point blank layups. i really didnt see any problem wth his attitude or effort in either half. he looked extremely comfortable and could do about whatever he wanted in the first half especially. bell had a couple of lapses on defense including not-so-good closeouts in the 4th quarter, but he played all but the last minute of the 3rd quarter so im sure he was a bit gassed. I sat behind their bench and was impressed with his attitude around his coaches and teammates as he seemed to take his coaches advice and criticism very well. he only got upset with the refs once when he was called for a ticky-tack foul but other than that he showed little emotion, positive or negative, in going about his business. i think bell would be a great zag and waching him was well worth the $10 admission. i didnt get a chance to get few or coach g's opinion but hopefully they liked what they saw too.

Comment

• mgadfly
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by northsidezagfan View Post
                i was at the game too but dont have too much to add to what has already been said. bell put on an absolute show in the first half: he hit 3s, drove to the rack, and hit midrange jumpers. he was completely unselfish passing the ball, and probably would have been close to a double double if his teammates finished a few more layups than they did. He was much more generous with the ball in the second half, i dont think he took more than about 8 shots after the break, including the aforementioned three point blank layups. i really didnt see any problem wth his attitude or effort in either half. he looked extremely comfortable and could do about whatever he wanted in the first half especially. bell had a couple of lapses on defense including not-so-good closeouts in the 4th quarter, but he played all but the last minute of the 3rd quarter so im sure he was a bit gassed. I sat behind their bench and was impressed with his attitude around his coaches and teammates as he seemed to take his coaches advice and criticism very well. he only got upset with the refs once when he was called for a ticky-tack foul but other than that he showed little emotion, positive or negative, in going about his business. i think bell would be a great zag and waching him was well worth the $10 admission. i didnt get a chance to get few or coach g's opinion but hopefully they liked what they saw too.
                Yeah, I completely agree. I think one thing he could work on is his defense when his man doesn't have the ball. He also let his man hit a couple threes in the first half by not being in position to close out with a hand up.

Oh, I also want to make sure that everyone understands that I don't think there was any problem with his attitude or effort. My comment earlier was aimed at his emotion level on the court (as northside put it above: "little emotion, positive or negative, in going about his business" that's a perfect statement for the way he plays). As far as emotion on the court goes he is not in the Pendo, Turiaf, Pargo, Spink category that somehow oozed energy and personality, but is more like Raivio, Gray or PMAC in that he is serious and focused but doesn't show a whole lot of emotion most of the time. I don't think that is a problem at all, unless you had too many guys like that at one time because it is always nice to have someone with a little attitude to keep things light or get the other guys going emotionally when needed.

My only disagreement with northside would be over whether conditioning played any part in his poor defense from time to time. That last sequence where he battled hard inside, and then on the ensuing play comfortably knocked down an 18 foot jumper (and he shoots a true jump shot with plus-plus lift) makes me think his conditioning is fine. I just think when his man doesn't have the ball (and for the entire fourth quarter he had four fouls and was trying to avoid any appearance of touching anybody from Shadle) he gets caught flat-footed every now and then. But heck, he's an 11th grader and that's something that is very coachable and will get fixed sooner or later.

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

Thanks a lot, fellas. Those are some fine game reports and scouting on Gary.

Thanks!

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

Great report, thanks. Saw him at state last march, and he looked more like a sr. than a soph., in terms of his game and body as well as demeanor. I love that calm demeanor, and think you need some guys like that to go with a few firebreathers. A mix to create a balance.. Especially when it's the guy with the ball in his hands getting fouled up 6 w/ a min. to go, I like Bell's personality.

Comment

• northsidezagfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2009

Should be a good one tonight at the Falls vs Curtis @ 6:30. I think Curtis is something like #4 in the state.

Comment

Working...
                      X