PDA

View Full Version : Jim Boeheim really cracks me up

Rubbadub
04-19-2007, 07:43 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2841531

If you will recall, I felt a little bit sympathetic for the guy a month ago...but the part of this article about him made me laugh pretty hard. I can't even think of an adjective for this nonsense.

What scheduling lessons do you think teams like Syracuse, Drexel, Clemson and VCU learned from this past season's NCAA Tournament selection process?

How about none?...

"We'll play our usual tough games coming in here like UMass, Rhode Island and Fordham," Boeheim said..."We've also got East Tennessee State."

Gunnymink
04-19-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't see the problem. With that monster schedule, why should he worry?

Rubbadub
04-19-2007, 08:08 AM
From an insider article further down the page:

The National Association of Basketball Coaches will push for an expansion of the opening-round games when it meets with the NCAA Tournament selection committee next month in San Antonio.

The NABC's current president Jim Boeheim wants to see a total of four opening-round games -- eight teams total -- at the four sites prior to the 16 vs. 1 games. That would possibly open up six more bids for at-large teams. The teams would come from the low-major conference tournament champs, much like the current 64 vs. 65 matchup.

"There is going to be an expansion, it's just a matter of when and when [NCAA president] Myles Brand has an interest that helps," Boeheim said. The committee and NABC have a conference call within the next week to discuss the agenda and it's expected that this will make it onto the items to be discussed.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=katz_andy

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2007, 08:49 AM
From an insider article further down the page:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=katz_andy

When you can't win by cheating (or trying to work the formula as is the case here) then change the rules. IMHO, absolutely NO team that wins an automatic should ever ever play the play in game. Never ever.

ZagMania
04-19-2007, 08:56 AM
When you can't win by cheating (or trying to work the formula as is the case here) then change the rules. IMHO, absolutely NO team that wins an automatic should ever ever play the play in game. Never ever.

Agreed, let the two last at-larges fight it out or better yet take away one at large bid.

JLGutrocks
04-19-2007, 09:41 AM
That kind of elitist arrogance is what makes people hate BCS teams. I agree, LIZF, no auto should ever have to play a play-in. They've earned the right to be in the main tourney. Boeheim, what a tool.

CDC84
04-19-2007, 10:01 AM
This is Boeheim's annual offseason gripe about how the NCAA tourney should be expanded. The NABC regularly suggests foolish ideas at their meeting that are put forth for no other reason than to protect the self interest of coaches. It has nothing to do with "the game" itself, or making the tournament better. By allowing additional teams into the tourney, that means less coaches get fired for not making the tournament. That is what this is all about folks. The fact that there would be more room for a team like Syracuse that regularly feasts at home during non-league play is just an added bonus.

I really doubt you will see tournament expansion of any sort. The only reason the "play in" game was added is because there was an odd number of conferences, and the NCAA needed to have an even amount of automatic qualifiers. The NCAA, and most importantly, CBS, like the way the tournament is right now. They call the shots. They are not going to alter something that isn't broken.

DenDiegoZag
04-19-2007, 10:36 AM
CDC...That is exactly what I was thinking when you talk about CBS being in the driver's seat...Until there are the $$$ to back up a change, things will stay as they are with the Big Dance...Boeheim really needs to learn that he should play outside of the state of New York before January if he wants to have the "right" to complain about getting "snubbed" from the tourney last year...

doudney2therescue
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
That was one of the biggest tourney snubbs ive ever seen. 10-6 in the big east. 7-3 in their last 10 games including a 10+ point win over a red hot georgetown team. He had a lot to be complaining about.

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I can't respect any coach that pulls that kind of schedule every year... Romar? You listening?

Nevtelen
04-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Coaches should schedule how they want to. But if they pull a Syracuse-type of schedule and don't totally dominate their conference, they shouldn't be surprised that they're left out. The committee has clearly said multiple times that the OOC and road wins especially are important in selection. It's not like Boeheim got blind-sided.

sittingon50
04-20-2007, 09:15 AM
:lmao:

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Because every year = 1 year (2006)?
I'll take our SOS which is better than GU's every year for as long as romar is here :)

Bah, don't know why I even bother some of you are very delusional :P

The point of the post was that if you decide to focus solely on your conference for your SOS you run the risk of getting burned... much like Syracuse did this year.

sittingon50
04-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm really curious which heading GU falls under; flopped badly or very down year? I know which one ewe dub fell under.

Hey, Few catches h*** on your board. Many folks there don't care for him. I could care less.

kyle dixon
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Let's leave the Huskies alone. They are too busy getting ready for their preseason NIT. They were all taped up and ready to go for the postseason NIT, only to find out they were not invited....

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2007, 11:50 AM
but u decided to take a jab at romar for no reason. I just think it's ignorant that people like you say Romar doesn't ever want to play tough games, yet 2 years ago our non conference schedule was harder than GU's and probally will be again this year. He scheduled 1 bad year which he admitted was way to light and then picked it back up last year only to see 3 of the top teams we were supposed to play either flopped badly or had a very down year in GU, N Iowa, and LSU.

Not taking a jab... just pointing out the folly of last year's OOC schedule. I suspect that Romar is brighter than Beoheim and is smart enough to schedule better rather than cry like a little baby about how he got snubbed.