• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timeout!
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2009

If you were Coach for a day...

Based on this season's results and all the players you've seen play thus far, who would be your starting lineup for our next game?

And why?

I'll begin w/starters:

PG: Meech
    SG: Matt Bouldin
    SF: Bol Kong
    PF: Elias
    C: Sacre

1st off Bench:

--Manny Arop: provides solid defense, good mid-range scorer, slashing ability is unstoppable, tremendous hustle, and most importantly, the best rebounder on our team.

Next in line:

--Steven Gray: provides a nice dribble-drive presence, a streaky, but talented spot-up shooter, and can defend the opposing team's best player when called upon. Could be the best 6th man in nation, imo.

--Kelly Olynyk: smart bball player, good hustle, nice length, can set-up others in the post or perimeter, and can defend in the post.

--Will Foster: can spell minutes at Center, rebounding above average, blocks shots, really tall, and has an underrated ability to pick and roll to the hoop. Provides fouls, if needed.

STOP THERE(unless its a blowout, which will happen in conference).

I know we all adore Grant Gibbs and GJ as players, yet they aren't quite ready, imo. GJ still thinks he's running his HS team and trying to make 1st-team All-State and Grant really has no idea how to handle himself when pressured by any defender whatsoever. Yes, I realize Grant started the Davidson game in relief of Bouldin, but the moment they got in his face, he was done. Same thing occurred vs Duke. We all know Grant is a tremendous passer, ball-handler, and IQ is off the charts, but he needs another year before he's a regular contributor on this team. Both players have shown flashes of terrific talent, yet this team needs to be geared around an 8-9 man rotation and players who fit a need on offense & defense. Considering Bouldin & Gray can be interchangeable at Guard, we need players who can provide an offensive spark and scoring presence when our starters are on the bench. As much as I love Grant/GJ as players for the future, I'd like to see us trim our regular rotation down a bit and give players who have contributed and capitalized in their limited opportunities.

Lastly, I chose the starters above for 2 reasons: 1) to help Bouldin on the offensive end and 2) to allow ourselves to reach the next level by season's end. Our 3-guard lineup will work vs the WCC, yet if we want to beat teams like Duke, we'll need a SF who commands a defender and allow Bouldin to create more mis-matches against guards who are the same size or smaller than him. The moment a team places a tall, lengthy SF on Bouldin, he's done.

Actually, I read this comment from a Husky fan and believe it or not, I thought it was decent outside perspective following the Duke game:

Kong should get minutes for GU. That would help a lot.

Right now, to beat GU you have to pack in the defense to stop Sacre and Harris and put a small forward on Bouldin so he can't post up or shoot clearly.

Kong, at 6'7" or 6'8" depending who you believe, and a great shooter, would make a big difference.

They couldn't put a small forward on Bouldin any longer and it would open another scoring threat on their offense.
  • cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Same. We have three losses, two against top 7 teams.

We had an off day, coach tried to make changes and nothing worked. Learn and move on. I do see Manny and Kong continuing to ge more PT at the expense of Olynick, Gray, and Gibbs.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2008

Gray is a proven commodity

Completely insane to start Kong in front of Gray. Pure insanity.
      "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

It would take more than a day

but I would be emphasizing even more team-building skills. The tryouts and lineup shifts & moving the parts of the puzzle around, are fine.

But the trust that is needed in crunch times is what seems to be missing. I think every athlete knows what needs to be done. Doing it reveals alot of flaws in the process that I interpret as lack of confidence in yourself or others. Perhaps both.

The only way to build self and team esteem is to work through the process over and over until it becomes automatic. That is what is going on with this team, imo.

The confidence to take the shot atop the perimeter and knowing at least two teammates will be crashing the boards in case it doesn't go in. Or driving to the net knowing where your teammates are in case it doesn't work out.

And seeing all of this in a split second. Being able to rely on this knowledge inspires confidence to keep driving. Deciding to pass. Turning up the pressure on the other guys.

Running the pick and roll until the other team gets weary and it becomes second nature. Taking every advantage instinctively.

It's a process. there's no way to instill all this with a chalk talk. You can understand the idea and I am sure everyone on the staff and even in the stands understands the fundamentals of what is being attempted.

Carrying it off; completing the task; refusing to be swayed; sticking to what works and refusing to lapse into what doesn't, growing confidence and becoming consistent, is where we are at right now.

And one way to make sure that never happens is to keep shifting players around like pawns in a chess game rather than getting the best athletes and basketball players to settle down and do what nature and good coaching dictates they do: play intelligent basketball for 40 minutes, every game. And really trust that your team mates will, too.

Go TEAM Zags !
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• jpwils
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Starters

Let everybody know Bouldin starts but all other positions are day to day.

Have free throws for big men be a tie-breaker for performance grades.

Not sure about point guard situation.

Might want to experiment with "pressing unit" in games with weaker opponents.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
            Completely insane to start Kong in front of Gray. Pure insanity.
            OK, your opinion on Kong over Gray is well-noted. That said, who would you start then? The same lineup or make any changes?

PS--> this is only a hypothetical scenario discussing our lineup for thenext game and isn't set in stone b/c its just message board fodder ). Sometimes posters can take topics a bit too literally and much too seriously. Maybe some of us actually believe we would be Coaches for a day?
            “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post
              OK, your opinion on Kong over Gray is well-noted. That said, who would you start then? The same lineup or make any changes?

PS--> this is only a hypothetical scenario discussing our lineup for thenext game and isn't set in stone b/c its just message board fodder ). Sometimes posters can take topics a bit too literally and much too seriously. Maybe some of us actually believe we would be Coaches for a day?
              Not into fantasy basketball. Nothing wrong with the lineup that's been on the court. Couple of bumps recently, no panic necessary. Definitely no reason to throw a freshman into the fire.
              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Starters:

Goodson
                Bouldin
                Gray
                Harris
                Sacre

First off bench:

Arop
                Kong

Second off bench:

Olynyk

Third off bench:

Vilarino

Filling in the gaps:

Gibbs
                Foster

I would tighten the rotation and start giving certain guys consistent minutes instead of sticking in a guy for 13 minutes when he only played 1 minute the previous game. I could care less about the matchups. The best bench guys need to see the floor on a consistent basis if they are to develop.

Comment

• Timeout!
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Nov 2009

NT

Comment

• 75Zag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Ho Ho Ho

Ho Ho Ho is the Jeopardy answer. You will have to read on to find the question.

Few is a good coach. He is also an honest coach from what I have observed. I was in NY and sat through (most of) the game. GU got beat by a much better team. It happens.

Rather than whine about coaching or lineups or whatever, it might be time to look in the mirror and ask whether your (my) expectations have been reality based or not. GU is a small school in a relatively crummy conference. GU has done wonderful things since that glorious Elite 8 game so many years ago. But GU is not an elite BB power and - if you forgive me for saying so - GU may never be an elite BB power. With apologies to Reborn, GU is very, very, very, very unlikely to be a National Champion. Yes it could happen, and yes I could parlay my wife's birthday and my dog's height into the winning Powerball ticket on Wednesday (106 million). But probably not.

I love the Bulldogs and I dance (an ugly thing) when they win. I sigh when they lose. Either way, the sun will come up, my wife will be cute, and my grandson will be a pain in the a#$ when I take him to fancy restaurants.

What three things does Tiger want for Christmas?

Merry Christmas and God Bless all of us!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
                    Do not go gentle into that good night,
                    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
                      Not into fantasy basketball. Nothing wrong with the lineup that's been on the court. Couple of bumps recently, no panic necessary. Definitely no reason to throw a freshman into the fire.
                      Agreed. I personally wouldn't any changes to the current lineup. It was just one game and an anomaly if you look at the boxscore, so unless a trend develops in the next few games, leave the starters as be.

However, I will admit I wish to see more PT for Manny Arop. I feel Manny provides so much on both sides of the ball and appeared to be the only player willing to get physical vs Duke. He was fearless when slashing towards the rim or crashing for rebounds. He was one of the few Zags who looked like they belonged on the court that particular night. Also, Manny makes the most of his minutes and his physical attributes alone would be a benefit to any team in the country, so when you add in his heart/hustle, he's quite the talent to behold.
                      “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• ZagManFan
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                        Starters:

Goodson
                        Bouldin
                        Gray
                        Harris
                        Sacre

First off bench:

Arop
                        Kong

Second off bench:

Olynyk

Third off bench:

Vilarino

Filling in the gaps:

Gibbs
                        Foster

I would tighten the rotation and start giving certain guys consistent minutes instead of sticking in a guy for 13 minutes when he only played 1 minute the previous game. I could care less about the matchups. The best bench guys need to see the floor on a consistent basis if they are to develop.

Starters:

Arop - Brings more to the table. HIs defense is decent enough that he should get playing time and he does so much more off the ball.

Bouldin - no brainer

Gray - Still an upper classman, but we have seen this from him the past 2 years haven't we? The only thing different this year is he hasn't been replaced.

Harris - no brainer

KO - I'm sorry. Rob had an absolute horrible game against Duke. Can he PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE THE BALL HARD TO THE RIM IN TRAFFIC!!!. He throws up terrible shots when people touch him. The breaker for me was in the 2nd half of the game his man went to set a pick on a guard and he frickin stood there and did not stop the ball until his teammate recovered and they got a wide open layup. Pure lack of concentration or motivation. KO does what most on this team should do. *KISS* Keep it simple stupid. He does what is asked and doesn't make the mistakes that Rob makes, ie. passing out of double teams, getting caught in double teams, makes more ft's and thinks quicker when he has the ball. Rob honestly looks like he is thinking about what he should try and then does it, but it's 2-3 seconds to slow and the defense is all over him. You think they know his weakness? They doubled him every time he touched the ball.

First off bench:

Meech
                        Kong
                        Sacre

Comment

• cjm720
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                          Starters:

Goodson
                          Bouldin
                          Gray
                          Harris
                          Sacre

First off bench:

Arop
                          Kong

Second off bench:

Olynyk

Third off bench:

Vilarino

Filling in the gaps:

Gibbs
                          Foster

I agree with this, but I favor Gibbs over Vilarino...
                          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Simplify simplify simplify

Return to October practices as a way to refresh the basics.
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• CDC84
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I agree with this, but I favor Gibbs over Vilarino...
                              I could live with that change.

The item that I am adamant about is Arop and Kong being the top 2 reserves. As much as I love Kelly's basketball IQ and upside, he's contributing nothing to the offense right now beyond his passing skills. Arop is a better rebounder than Kelly, and until Kong proves that he can't make a shot in games, he needs to be on the floor more. I realize that the Zags will take a hit in terms of their size if Kelly sees less minutes, but I also feel that Arop and Kong play bigger than their size due to their athleticism and length.

Comment

Working...
                              X