PDA

View Full Version : Loss vs. Duke Effect On Recruiting?

strikenowhere
12-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Guys,

I was curious as to what effect, if any, a bad loss like this on a national stage has on recruiting efforts? It seems to me that this would have a negative impact...what does everyone else think?

Thanks

BobZag
12-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Well, it's not what you want... But a recruit has played awful games and his team has suffered bad losses, so he knows how it can go. Remember, these same recruits watched Maui, Mitch. St., etc.

Baldwinzag
12-20-2009, 05:21 PM
One game.

No biggie, it happens to the best of 'em. Remember when Duke destroyed #2 Texas by 35 pts two years ago or when #5 Mich St lost by 40 pts to UNC. Basketball is a funny sport and bad games will happen. I mean how often will we shoot 10% from 3pt, 40% from FT, and 30% from the field? Quite honestly, it may never happen again.

All and all, we can't afford to waste time thinking about this game. It was anomaly, of sorts. The Coaching staff and players will have plenty of time to figure things out and right the ship in time for Eastern Washington in 9 days.

Enjoy the time off and be ready to hit the ground running once again starting next week.

It's all good.

FuManShoes
12-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Wasn't Harris at the Mempis game last year? Seems that didn't dissuade him. I suppose it can have some upside if the recruit/recruitor spins it this way: "Man, these guys get some sweet games on big stages, but if this is the best they can do I should be able to come in and contribute right away."

NovaZag
12-20-2009, 06:29 PM
It certianly doesn't help our cause. But, like BZ said, we've had some other respectable performances on national TV, and will hopefully have some more. Now, if we begin to consistently drop games by 30+ points, then it might be a more serious problem-- but I don't see that happening.

alldaye
12-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Obviously it won't help, but Harris visited during the Memphis game last year...that worked out well

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2009, 08:59 PM
FWIW, Harris signed his LOI long before he visited for the Memphis game.

A win certainly would have helped recruiting, but the Zags aren't going to suddenly fall out of contention for guys like Kyle W, Kyle D, and Gary B just because they took one on the chin Saturday. Losses happen, including bad losses, and everyone who's ever played organized sports knows that.