12-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Where is the poise? The confidence? What the hell

Saxon_zag
12-19-2009, 12:49 PM
disgusting

MickMick
12-19-2009, 12:58 PM
They will come back.

Duke doesn't like to substitute. The starters will get tired on defense.

allnet59
12-19-2009, 01:09 PM
what a friggin joke at the half. Robert Sacre has the weekest hands i have ever seen. Steven Gray has really lost his touch. More then a turn over every two minutes nothing new, Stupid stupid mistakes and Duke really doesn't look that good. Come on Will the thrill give us some good minutes off the bench and let Bol Kong shoot the three's. Maybe we can get to forty by the end of the game.

Ezag
12-19-2009, 01:23 PM
My thoughts...let the negs come.

Gray really needs taken out of the start and come off the bench. His defense is great but his offense since Maui has all but disappeared. I fear Gray will never be a consistent offensive contributor.

Manny needs to start.

Robert needs to learn how to handle a double team.

All this talk about Olynyk and NBA is making me laugh again. Love the hustle but kid has no offense. Point blank miss which I think is his 4th or 5th this season. Yes, I know he is not called to score but when has the chance to he misses

Harris-- time to wake up.

Matt Bouldin must still be hampered by his bump cause his decision making has been poor thus far.

vandalzag
12-19-2009, 01:26 PM
what a friggin joke at the half. Robert Sacre has the weekest hands i have ever seen. Steven Gray has really lost his touch. More then a turn over every two minutes nothing new, Stupid stupid mistakes and Duke really doesn't look that good. Come on Will the thrill give us some good minutes off the bench and let Bol Kong shoot the three's. Maybe we can get to forty by the end of the game.

Nice first post, welcome aboard. Hopefully you were given a discount when you bought your ticket for the bandwagon, that way when you jump off it will not cost you too much

zagsfanforlife
12-19-2009, 01:37 PM
How many times is Elias going to travel?

Stache
12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Young team that had wheels come off. A little "deer in the headlights" maybe. We knew this was possible with a real young team. Purge it and move on!

Good luck getting home.

jiggatothezigga
12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
why does he look so stiff out there? He just is not fluid down low, he moves like a robot so unatural. Damn Batista was so smoooooth.

FuManShoes
12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I feel very bad for the guys, very bad. There is nothing to take from this game. Forget it and move on.

Ezag
12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Young team that had wheels come off. A little "deer in the headlights" maybe. We knew this was possible with a real young team. Purge it and move on!

Good luck getting home.

Yes, while I would expect that from Olynyk, Gibbs and even Harris...I expect much more from Bouldin, Gray, Sacre and Goodson.

When Foster, in his short minutes, has looked the best on this team, that is sad.

Zagatak
12-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Embarassing game...

NYCZAG
12-19-2009, 01:53 PM
This is awful a total no show on the zags part total ass kicking they better recover fast from this!-This place is a duke dreamland uggh-

Ezag
12-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Foster was pretty good in his short minutes and Arop needs to start-- he came to play.

gonwick
12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
First the UNC debacle, now this sad display. Maybe the jersey change gets them too amped up, reinforcing the notion that it's a "big game." Yes, clearly it's al the jerseys.

Some homework for the guys after the flight:
Sacre: Work on passing out of the double.
Meech, Kelly, Gray: Shoot, shoot, shoot.
Harris: Work on jump stops and avoiding travels.
Matt: Rest up and let the fuzz wear off.
Everyone: Free throws and passing/ball control. Way too many turnovers.

I thought Manny played well in limited minutes. Not sure why he didn't get more, but I've been watching most of this game between my fingers.

Hopefully a lot of this can be written off to nerves/venue, which Duke doesn't feel as much due to multiple games at MSG. On the plus side, Duke will be happy to give us another game. Perhaps the biggest plus, though, is that this is happening now and not later. A chance for the younger guys to get their first beat down and a chance for the whole team to learn a hard lesson and keep working to get better, so this doesn't happen again in March.

Go Zags. You're a great team, even if words fail to describe how terrible you were today.

Bulldog
12-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Good luck getting home.

Sometimes it takes a game like this to realize all the obstacles you need to battle in order to be a great team.

We'll be back!

MickMick
12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
The worst part is that this was totally self inflicted. The Duke defense wasn't any tougher than Michigan State or Cincinatti.

Typically I am inclined to give credit to the opposing team, but Duke fans wouldn't even say they brought their "A" game today. This is all on the Zags.

Rebounding, turnovers, missed shots, late defensive help. The stars aligned in the worst way. The Zags wouldn't beat IPFW today.

alldaye
12-19-2009, 02:00 PM
memphis too

gum797
12-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Arop needs more minutes, period.

alldaye
12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
He's a total shadow of himself. Arop Gibbs or Kong would all be a better choice. I'd say Arop, especially after today. Kong first off the bench. Gordon would be pretty nice right now too...

Bulldog
12-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Wow! Go Zags!

gonwick
12-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I forgot Memphis (or maybe purged it from my memory). They're now equal in my mind to the dreaded red jerseys. On the plus side, now Mike Hart and Andy Poling can say they played in MSG.

jigga5
12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
the guy can simply score... He cant just be used as a garbage guy anymore. Did you see him cross up and drill a long 2 like it was nothing? Then he effortlesly stroked another three from long range to end the game like it was nothing. Starting playing this guy this is just frustrating to see him waste his talent on the bench.

The509sfinest
12-19-2009, 02:09 PM
The game is finally over and I think Kong really needs to be their go to shooter. he was 2-2 i think today. The last shot he took was way beyond the arc with a guy on him. Even if your not open Kong shoot!!! Especially when Gray and Bouldin are not doing anything. Please Kong please please please!!!! He is an amazing shooter and i could tell today his defense is getting better i think he got a steal today. Maybe Bol trades places with Gray for a week till Gray doesnt hog the ball and take horrible shots and actually touch rim? All i know is Bol needs to shoot the ball wayyy more and not be scared to shoot it. You are the go to guy right not

GUDan07
12-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Agreed. Instead of putting in Kong we get to suffer through an entire game of Matt Bouldin making careless passes that result in turnovers and missing shots. At some point you have to realize that its just not his day and tell him to have a seat.

WallaWallaZag
12-19-2009, 02:10 PM
i know gonzaga believes that they can't pass up a chance to play against duke in madison square garden, but i have to believe this game did more harm than good...not the kind of exposure a program wants in the national spotlight.

Ezag
12-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I agree and have been repeatedly saying this. Gray needs to come off the bench. Yah he has a good game now and then but going 10 games into his 3rd year is telling enough on his lack of consistency and the disappearance of his offense.

JohnOGU
12-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Agreed. Bol Kong is cleary a prolific scorer. Bouldin is clearly not recovered from his knock to the head. Put Bol in... Im disgusted with this performance.

GUDan07
12-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I never thought I'd see a more embarrassing game than the one against Memphis last year until today. 18 turnovers to only 7 assists, 47% from the free throw line, 0 threes until Kong hit a meaningless one at the end. It wasn't just the final score that is so hard to swallow, but the way that it came about. You could tell that Bouldin didn't have it very early in the game, yet Few continued to play him. How long will it take Sacre to learn to pass out of a double team?? It's simple math Rob, there are 5 defenders on the court, if 2 of them are guarding you, a minimum of 1 of your teammates are open! Pass out of the double team and maybe then you can avoid going 2-12 from the field. There is nothing positive to be drawn from this performance.

Zag87
12-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm a Zag, through and through.
I had to turn the game off. I was getting irate with my 4 year old, for nothing.

Ezag
12-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Bol and Manny seriously need more time. Gray and Olynyk less time

zagzilla
12-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I was looking back trying to remember a loss this bad and couldn't because there hasn't been one in the "modern era"

35 point magrin of defeat and 41 points scored are both the worst of the 21st century

Previous worst margin was 21 points to NC last year and Virginia in 2007.

Previous lowest scoring efforts was 47 vs WSU in 2007

To have both lows in the same game makes it even worse. A loss like this can derail a young team's confidence for a long time. Coaches must do a better job of helping them recover from this one than they did of preparing them to play it

ZZ

NYCZAG
12-19-2009, 02:23 PM
This is awful a total no show on the zags part total ass kicking they better recover fast from this!-This place is a duke dreamland uggh-

RenoZag
12-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Duke opened up a can of

http://www.fairweatherfriends.com/images/whoop-ass.jpg

on Gonzaga today. Sure, there are a lot of details to ponder but the young 'uns just didn't have it today.

HRZag
12-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I was there and it wasn't as much fun as it looked.

We (the coaches) gave away every mismatch that we could have had and played to theirs.

The only good thing was I met NYCZag. Nice to meet you.

Thud.

ZaginLaw
12-19-2009, 02:25 PM
The Zags made a very bad UCLA look good today.

I hope they enjoyed seeing the sites of NYC because it's obvious that's what they were most interested in doing.

They simply weren't in any kind of State of Mind.

Ezag
12-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I can't think of a worse beat down since I started following Zags back in 95!

ZagMania
12-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I feel like Sacre was really bothered by the way the refs were letting Zoubek just come down on his arms when he making his moves. With the game being called the way it was, we needed to show some Maui toughness but it just wasn't there.

What an ugly game though, I feel like the people putting together the highlight packages for commercial breaks were having hell of a time. For the first ten minutes or so the only good play was Fosters dunk so they just kept showing it.

NovaZag
12-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Can't believe the entire team didn't show up. Usually there's at least one guy who brings it, has a respectable game, even when most of the team is playing lousy. That didn't happen. Harris, Bouldin, Gray, Goodson, Sacre, Olynyk, Gibbs, had their worst performance of the season. Didn't see this coming.

omahazag
12-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Foster was pretty good in his short minutes and Arop needs to start-- he came to play.

I'm with you. Some other random thoughts while I try to calm down:

Kong and Manny should be our first options off the bench. I'm sorry, but Gibbs does not bring it like these guys do.

Will gave us good minutes and never saw the court again.

There is not set rotation -- maybe it's still too early?

Gray needs to step up.

Sacre needs to learn how to pass out to open shooters.

Our national reputation took a hit tonight.

Ok, i feel a little better now. Time for us all to re-group

roxdoc
12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
If you would have told me that nearly 6 minutes into the game our only score would have come from Foster I would never have believed you!:confused:

gamagin
12-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Bol Kong clearly has the most talent on this team, the baskets he made were pure skill and all I got to say is he needs to start more and play more, if not few is not giving this team a chance, wow Bol Kong has alot of talent I was amazed his shots are effortless and pure skill

He is and remains the only player who enters the game looking to shoot. And he works to shoot every time.

Everyone else seems to be working feverishly at drawing attention and dishing. too often the dish goes to someone less ready than the driver.

Well, at some point the open man just has to steal a page from Bol, and start thinking that getting open IS the opportunity we have been working towards. And take the shot. At every opportunity.

Fake it till you make it.

HillBillyZag
12-19-2009, 02:59 PM
As many others have already made clear, the way G.U. played today we could'nt have beaten Gonzaga Prep.But IMHO a lot of it it had to do with limited practice time due to finals, Matt's injury causing his rust and perhaps even still affecting his play, and the inexeperience of our freshmen finally showing up. Duke was in their home away from home just laying in wait for us
and they made us look terrible. But as the cliche goes " its a marathon not a dash" so for my money this was rock bottem for the Zags. And one last thing, our Colors are Red, White & Blue, burn those &%(* black uniforms , they are NOT our colors , they are are not our STYLE. Burn em and forget about this ^#&* game. " Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you".

duper
12-19-2009, 02:59 PM
the guy can simply score... He cant just be used as a garbage guy anymore. Did you see him cross up and drill a long 2 like it was nothing? Then he effortlesly stroked another three from long range to end the game like it was nothing. Starting playing this guy this is just frustrating to see him waste his talent on the bench.

Your right enough is enough! Bol Kong is a great shooter and after that average or below average at every other part of the game. You want to lose play Kong ahead of Gray and see what happens.

allnet59
12-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Boldin should have sat after the first half, still not himself after the concussion. Sacre has alot to learn as he never passes out of the double team and for a seven footer he plays like a KITTY one personnal foul please go get the rebounds. Bol Kong needs more touches PERIOD! Duke played ok but it wasn't their defense as much as are own mistakes.

2wiceright
12-19-2009, 03:27 PM
As many others have already made clear, the way G.U. played today we could'nt have beaten Gonzaga Prep.But IMHO a lot of it it had to do with limited practice time due to finals, Matt's injury causing his rust and perhaps even still affecting his play, and the inexeperience of our freshmen finally showing up. Duke was in their home away from home just laying in wait for us
and they made us look terrible. But as the cliche goes " its a marathon not a dash" so for my money this was rock bottem for the Zags. And one last thing, our Colors are Red, White & Blue, burn those &%(* black uniforms , they are NOT our colors , they are are not our STYLE. Burn em and forget about this ^#&* game. " Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you".

I agree especially about your point regarding finals week. It seems like we run into this same problem every year (I would be curious if anyone had stats on our win/loss record after finals week vs. quality of opponent (I know that is somewhat objective)...

Baldwinzag
12-19-2009, 03:32 PM
The worst Zag effort & loss i've seen since I first became a fan during the '98 season. Sad & embarrasing is the least I could say. Will go down in Gonzaga infamy...no comment on the game. Time to move on.

Bulldog
12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Doesn't every college have finals week?

Baldwinzag
12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
By the way, if Bol Kong isn't starting or logging major minutes at SF by season's end, my faith in our coaching & playing the best players may just go out the window...same goes w/ the heart & rebounding presence of Manny. its apparent these two are more talented & bring more to the table against elite teams than any other bench player we have. Its been proven time & time again...

Mantua
12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
"...we could'nt have beaten Gonzaga Prep." Prep has been fun to watch lately.
In the light of today's performance, Gu could learn from a scrimmage with the Pups.

ZagLawGrad
12-19-2009, 03:53 PM
If you paid any atttention to last season, you would not be too disappointed right now. Last December after the Old Spice, expectations were through the roof, and look what happened. If you got on that same train after the Maui Invitational, shame on you. Lowered expectations equals more fun in 2010....

mnzag24
12-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Doesn't every college have finals week?

agreed. no excuse. plus, if you think they take finals like a normal student you're dreamin. it was embarassing today. my liver took the brunt of the beating.

Zagtain
12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Bol and Manny seriously need more time. Gray and Olynyk less time

Definitely less time on the floor for Olynyk. I don't care if he was a major scorer in the Canadian league, he can't shoot worth beans here. Do you guys know that he has the worst field goal percentage on the team (minus Harp and PMAG)!? Why is he playing ahead of the King who's making 60% of his threes and shooting over 80% from the line?

Although Manny played a fair game today. He needs to learn to distribute more and learn to pass when he doesn't have a shot before he get's more playing time than any of the starters. But I do love his rebounding!

ZagLawGrad
12-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I like the black unis. Players win games, not uniforms.

gonwick
12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/543/quick-reaction-from-the-msg-mauling

At least he hasn't written us off entirely. The Zags better show up against Ok, Ill, and Memphis, though, or we're in serious trouble.

krozman
12-19-2009, 04:18 PM
After a couple hours of reflection, I am resigned to the belief that any player on GU's squad has the potential to play poorly on any given game. It is the responsibility of each OTHER team member to step up. The problem that we had tonight, is that just about every starter was "that guy" and nobody had the ability to step up and contibute beyond their norm. I'm not sure what happened tonight, but there was no answer from a player or a coach. Kinda just shaking my head at this point.

Like I said before, this is a TEAM loss. I just hope bouldin gets some reps and out of his funk for the next game. It's one game. Hope they learn from it.

gonwick
12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
"Embarassed. Got beat in every aspect of the game tonight. Got to get to work."

From his Twitter.

jim77
12-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes, while I would expect that from Olynyk, Gibbs and even Harris...I expect much more from Bouldin, Gray, Sacre and Goodson.

When Foster, in his short minutes, has looked the best on this team, that is sad.

Foster at least came out to the key to free up the guards....Good job BIG Will with the minutes that you got. The big spotlight doesn't freak him out at all.

jim77
12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
I never thought I'd see a more embarrassing game than the one against Memphis last year until today. 18 turnovers to only 7 assists, 47% from the free throw line, 0 threes until Kong hit a meaningless one at the end. It wasn't just the final score that is so hard to swallow, but the way that it came about. You could tell that Bouldin didn't have it very early in the game, yet Few continued to play him. How long will it take Sacre to learn to pass out of a double team?? It's simple math Rob, there are 5 defenders on the court, if 2 of them are guarding you, a minimum of 1 of your teammates are open! Pass out of the double team and maybe then you can avoid going 2-12 from the field. There is nothing positive to be drawn from this performance.

Not if that one player is standing around.

jim77
12-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I feel like Sacre was really bothered by the way the refs were letting Zoubek just come down on his arms when he making his moves. With the game being called the way it was, we needed to show some Maui toughness but it just wasn't there.

What an ugly game though, I feel like the people putting together the highlight packages for commercial breaks were having hell of a time. For the first ten minutes or so the only good play was Fosters dunk so they just kept showing it.

When Rob would duck before he'd go up,,,their guy would lean over the top of Rob. This would cause Rob to fade away to avoid contact. (and miss the shot) Next time Rob needs to go straight up and the defender will get a quick and painful lesson on why not to lean over him.

allnet59
12-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Nice first post, welcome aboard. Hopefully you were given a discount when you bought your ticket for the bandwagon, that way when you jump off it will not cost you too much

i tellem like i see um. been a fan for ten years and this was the worst effort given over that period. I don't expect the zags to win 30 games a season but quit with the stupid turnovers, Few needed to pull Bouldin early on when you could see he wasn't right. What ever happened to blocking out and making FREE throws. Let's quit with the stupid excuses They beat themselfes more then Duke did. Sacre needs to man up and play tougher or it's gonna be a long season.