PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Misses ?

NorthoftheBorder
04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I was interested to see that Andrew Bogut, the 2005 Player of the Year, had been recruited by Gonzaga.

http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/MB_070416.html

Does anybody know if Gonzaga has recruited, but missed out, on other players who have gone on to become All-Americans?

pbriz
04-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Deon Thompson is the first one that comes to my mind... so close but yanked at the last minute by UNC. I got the chance to see the ACC tournament last year and he looks like he is going to take the starting spot from Wright if he leaves.

tenniszag
04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Jordan Farmar. Not sure if he was All-American last year or not but was damn good. He got so close to coming here that the staff already had a jersey made for him with his name on the back for when he signed.

spudzag
04-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Let's not forget Luke Redenour.

CDC84
04-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Brandon Roy.

The Zags were his clear second choice, and the decision was a lot closer than some might think.

To be honest, I regret missing out on him more than any player Gonzaga has ever heavily recruited.

Imagine how great the 2005/06 Gonzaga team would've been with Roy as its starting shooting guard? The Roy/Morrison/Batista trio would've been devastating within the WCC and nationally. You wouldn't be able to use junk defenses or anything to stop the offensive assault. Roy's presence would've upgraded the perimeter defense as well.

I truly believe that had Gonzaga had Roy that year, they would've beaten UCLA and Memphis to go to the final 4, but they would've had a legit chance to win the whole deal. He would've made that much of a difference. And then imagine how good that team would've been with a healthy Heytvelt and Knight to go along with Roy........

BobZag
04-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Ian Mahinmi
Mario Kasun (not really a miss but still...)
Marcus Williams

Ian signed a NLOI and would've given GU an ultra-talented 7-footer. I saw him in the arena and just the way he carried himself, you could tell he was special. Mario would've made a huge difference for GU. Marcus visited but wanted to go out of state; I think Marcus/Adam/Batista/Ian/Farmar would have been a team for the ages. But I agree on Roy, though Deon sure would've helped last season.

brasszag
04-19-2007, 09:08 AM
And then imagine how good that team would've been with a healthy Heytvelt and Knight to go along with Roy........

And a healthy Doudney for another long range gunner. That team was so close to being amazing - even WITH the guys we had.

Chicken Ball
04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
WSU's Derrick Low was on GU's radar for a while, too. As was Greivis Vasquez, who'll be a good one at UM. I think the Zags were in on Jon Brockman, too.