PDA

View Full Version : Big Will coming along

BobZag
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Will Foster is up to 270 lbs now and is slowly developing into a center who may be able earn some minutes next season. His shot is more refined than ever and he contnues to work hard on skills. Even at 270, he still looks thin. Hopfully he'll be 285 lbs by October and 300 lbs for '08-'09. By his junior year, we could be watching a high 1st-round draft pick.

Theo Davis has offensive moves that surprised me. I assumed he was more raw than he is. He will be a nice surprise on both ends of the court. He blocked Foster once, and a few others. But one long spin move covering about ten feet from the wing caught me by surprise. An easy layup. I predict this kid will be more than we expected.

Micah is a special player, as is Pargo and Josh. Bouldin is visibly more buff than before. Our two guards--Pargo and Bouldin--look like they could play linebacker and fullback. They will abuse many a guard next seson. Micah, Josh and Pargo were particularly impressive this day. Josh is bulking up nicely, must be nearing 250 lbs.

Everyone was there, except Pendo (out for 6 weeks w/surgery) and Kuso (not sure why).

Chemistry looked great. Pargo is the leader. They were all having fun. There was a boat load of talent out there, and it'll dang near double come July 1st when the newcomers arrive, and everyone is healthy again, and certain guys make big strides in offseason improvement.

Next season is gonna be goooood.

ZaggyStardust
04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
WOW -Thanks Bob! I was dying for some info! You lucky Dog - getting to go watch.... I'm jealous.... ;) ;)

brasszag
04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Will, in his limited minutes (and viewed over the tube) struck me as a big guy who could move well - while I think he would have been better served by redshirting - and I'm glad we are getting to watch his development.

Nevtelen
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I am tremendously excited to see this coming team on the floor. Heck, right now I'm tremendously excited to hear reports of how the new players look scrimmaging with the other guys in a couple of months...

Zagdawg
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Thank you for the update Bob!

MBZags
04-18-2007, 07:58 PM
You're right about Will. I saw him walking out of McCarthey today and still looks incredibly skinny.

ZagAddict
04-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Great news about Will's progress... I like rooting for this kid. Sounds like he is working hard to make the necessary improvements. At 7'4" I thought he was able to move very well for a kid his size. With bulk and experience he could become a very special player.

billyberu
04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Sounds like the kid from White River is doing well. I'm really rooting for him to do well in the coming years and with our coaches track record of developing bigs and his apparent dedication he could be something special. At 7'4" I ought to be able to see him from my house when he visits home.

RebornZag
04-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the update BZ. I know Will was a fan favorite whenever he'd get into a game. I remember him real well against Baylor because he got to play about 5 minutes. He was extrememly difficult to score on. And then we saw it again in one of the WCC games, and it was a big game, I believe one of those two last road games that we had to win. Again, he was just real tough on defense. AND DEFENSE IS WHAT WE NEED.

I was hoping Josh was bulking up. Nice to hear he's up to 250 from 235. 15 pounds is great when it's all muscle. One question Bob. How's Larry G looking? I really liked him his Freshman year.

thespywhozaggedme
04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
I too was a big fan of Wills last season and wished that he had received more pt. Bob, does this mean that Sacre may redshirt because he is still very raw offensively? Froncourt is two deep, C: Josh, Will PF: Kuso, Theo. Size and athleticism!

Kaduce
04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow, up to 270?? Must have been eating alot of those Dlish burgers... I have been cutting back myself.

roxdoc
04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Josh is a PF not a C. Kuso a C not a PF. So we have: C(5) Will, Sacre, Kuso, and Theo and PF(4) Josh, Pendo, possibly Theo, possibly Daye. Pretty scary good!

zagscardsfan4
04-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks BZ, I hope Will keeps improving cause what he has already is 7 ft 4in in heighth and thats something that you can't teach. If he works hard he could help chew up minutes in the post next year if any of our bigs get into foul trouble. Thats something we lacked a bit with last year. In my opinion we shoulda thrown burgess in there a bit more, but this not being an option anymore i wish the best to him and everything he does.
Clearly with the bigs we got comin in and with the addition of Theo, Foster may experience some prolonged bench time again this season. But hope he keeps workin hard because it should pay off. Not to mention a crowd favorite and a nice guy so will never be a problem with chemistry.

JAGzag
04-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Don't care if he looks skinny, 270 pounds is still a lot of weight to push around in the paint. Sounds like he's coming along. My only concern is whether all this new weight will take away from his game. After all, in the limited time I saw him play, he did look incredibly agile for a man his size.

RebornZag
04-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Really glad to hear your report on Davis, Bob. Theo is the one Zag that I know so little about. I did see that he was a #36 (or somewhere in the vacinity...this is not necessarily accurate) best player on either Scout or Rivals. That impressed me!! I have been hoping that he has some offense to go with what I've heard about his defense. I remember last year when we learned that he was coming to Gonzaga everyone was SO excited. I mean really excited. And then he got hurt in his first practice. Hopefully he'll stay healthy this year.

SWZag
04-19-2007, 07:13 AM
That is great news about Will. If will gets up to 300 lbs and continues to improve like he has over the past year, he's going to be a huge, huge push for this team to reach the final four. GU has relied on the big bodies in the middle, but in my memory, I don't think we've ever had one that has the possibility to be so dominate as a guy with so much height and opportunity. The sky is the limit for Will and it's up to him to continue getting better and accepting his coaching. I think we've got a very bright future with Will on the team. I can't help but look at the future and (optimistically) imagine Will and Josh starting at the same time. Not sure if that would be reasonable, but how could anyone defend it?

Robzagnut
04-19-2007, 07:44 AM
My question about Foster is that most GU players see a big jump in development from their freshmen to sophmore seasons. Will there be this jump in Foster even though he lacked playing time or will this more likely happen from sophmore to junior year?

D Hark 2003
04-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Is foster the Next Mark Eaton? Or maybe the next Sean Bradely? I would take either one in college any day at center. I hope he puts on 50 more lbs in the next two years and just becomes a beast down low... THe last time i saw him play he still looked like a kid that wasn't quite done growing yet and so he didnt quite have all his coordination or explosiveness that comes when you stop growing tall and begin to fill out. Hopefully this year or the next he will be on his way to 300 - 320 lbs. That would be an awsome weight for a guy that is 7'4, he would be tall and a beast at that size.

Some one should donate a years supply of whatever Barry Bonds trainer was giving him to Will and see what happens...;)

gupfarr
04-19-2007, 08:36 AM
What would be an ideal weight for a guy his height? What do you guys think is realistic as far as how his weight gain might progress?

brasszag
04-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Is foster the Next Mark Eaton? Or maybe the next Sean Bradely?

There's an interesting article in the current Sports Illustrated about Yao Ming that references some of the issues that the super-tall guys have to face just physically.

BobZag
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Will didn't look slower or limited by his weight. One sequence, he grabbed the rebound, dribbled it the length of the court and flushed it. Everybody cheered. Being a lefty, all his shots were right-handed, it was good to see him working on polishing his right. All good questions. There's a definite jump from frosh to soph, and we'll see that, but I believe his junior and senior years will most likely be his coming out party.

Was very pleased with Theo. Probably the #1 thing that surprised me most.

Another thing I noticed... While plenty of treys were jacked up, there was a whole lotta driving/slashing to the basket going on. Matt, Pargo, Downs, Josh, Theo, LG... It was good to see.

DenDiegoZag
04-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I could see another Paul Davis (MSU) or Andrew Bogut (Utah) out of Will when the next two years are all said and done...The guy has the potential to be a true beast in the middle...

JAGzag
04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Bob, did you happen to notice any fallout from Josh back with the team? Any chemistry problems or problems just working together?

roxdoc
04-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us BZ. What a great thread to start as we settle in for 6 months of hibernation! If you could do a once a month ubdate it would be fantastic - it keeps that spark of excitement renewed and going for what appears to be fantastic next couple of years. As many others have said, I can't wait.

BobZag
04-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Wow, up to 270?? Must have been eating alot of those Dlish burgers... I have been cutting back myself.

You eat at Tomato Street, you sly dog you. ;)

CDC84
04-19-2007, 09:20 AM
It's really good to hear that LG is back playing again and healthy. I had a lot of worries about him and his back. Thank goodness things have healed.

BobZag
04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Bob, did you happen to notice any fallout from Josh back with the team? Any chemistry problems or problems just working together?

None whatsoever. Everyone was getting along, ribbing each other, having a great time. It's as if the fellas never broke stride. I think we fans tend to fuss and make mountains out of molehills wayyyyy too much.

brasszag
04-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Ahhhh, the guys probably had Theo and Josh pay for a Zips run for the team, and have moved on...

sittingon50
04-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Will dribbled the length of the floor & flushed it? When are we gonna' stop ANYONE on defense?!*&%:lmao:

Oregon Zag
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks so much for the update on the guys. We are so hungry for any news. The off-season is a killer. It's good to hear that the guys are getting/keeping in shape. We rely so much on what you have to report, BZ. We really appreciate it!

D Hark 2003
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Sittinton50, Just call us the Phoenix Suns of College Basketball, no but really... i think this team could be really good defensively if we get tough inside and if we run a press with LG and others rotating in to disrupt other teams offensively. We are stacked at every position this year. Whereas last year there were some obvious holes going into the season and we had players step up and fill roles they were not used to or necessarily comfortable with. We have to remember that no one expected us to have any of the success last year that we did... THis is the year we finally make it out of the not so sweet(For us lately) sixteen.

PS: How did Gurganious look, most of my friends ask me what happened to him and i never have a good answer other than he hurt his back and he might be back this year...

bigblahla
04-19-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm anticipating awesome play out of Theo. When I heard he was hurt in a diving drill and possibly be lost for the season I thought the zags lost the ace up their sleeve. Can't wait to see the look on some opponents faces when Theo schools them both offensively and defensesively. You got me excited BZ, now I'm hungry.

Still think Will could use some dance lessons, they'd be great in advancing the coordination of his footwork.

Good to hear LG is in the flow.

I really hope that next year coach & staff will employ the press more, we've got the horses to do it.

Off-season is just too long.

Go!! Zags!!!

DrDrivel
04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I have to back up Bob on this one. Part of the reason I get so pissed off around here when people wax sanctimonious about Josh and Theo is that the other players themselves aren't up in arms. In my experience since the incident, the only people wagging a moralistic finger are the ones furthest from the situation. I think it's about time everyone start to consider this matter resolved - or at the very least, the sole province of those directly involved in the matter.

I also don't mean to be a killjoy about the future, but we should all remember that the definition of "potential" is something that is not good now. There are no guarantees. We should perhaps slow down a bit in our love affair with the as-yet unfulfilled promise of our young players. Expectations should remain low for now. These are kids and they need room to develop - some will do so and some may not.

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-19-2007, 01:08 PM
If only half our new kids develop and the rest of the team shows moderate improvement, its going to be awesome!
I am happy if we win the WCC every year however, I want to dream final four zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-19-2007, 01:17 PM
If half of our new players develop next year and our existing players show moderate improvement its going to be an awesome year. I love it if we can just continue to win the WCC. That asside its great to dream Final Four zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

brasszag
04-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I suspect Pendo will have made it abundantly clear that his senior year is not going to have any distractions. He strikes me as being pretty hardcore about the team concept.

D Hark 2003
04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Pendo means business:boxing:

Ikancagin
04-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Bob:
When did you watch them and where? Is it in the old kennel or new or warehouse, and did you get lucky and happen upon it, or is it open gym?

Zag509
04-19-2007, 04:40 PM
We should get Big Will in the same boxing classes that Fox was in!

Purezag
04-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Please. For some reason I can't view pg 1 of this thread only pg 2. I can tell from the posts on pg 2 that I missed some good information. If someone wouldn't mind posting some of the highlights from pg 1(BZ's comments) I would really appreciate it. Thanks! Zag4Life!

SpudDawg
04-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Bob? WHAT???!!! :D

Seriously, I am as excited for the coming season as any I can remember.

GonzagaGurl08
04-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Hey Bob- thanks so much for all of information. The off season is always tough, especially being overseas, I need my much needed dose of Zags information. I can't wait to be back.

Kiddwell
04-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Please post a bit more information on Larry Gurganious. Thanks.

EL MUSTACIO
04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Just for some clarification and for a comparison, how much did Will weigh at the start of last season?

NorthoftheBorder
04-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Will is listed as being 225 on the GoZags.com website.

Bobzag says he's 270 now? Could the website be that far off?

tyra
04-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Thnx for the info BobZ! You didn't mention anything about Micah's weight. I think he could benefit from a little more heft as well. Did you any notice any gain?

jpwils
04-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Seems like Wil should have a couple moves that are simply unstoppable.
He is developing into both a fan fav and a real weapon!

Also with the depth we seem to be enjoying, we can afford for guys like
Wil or Kuso to go for the blocked shot ,which should create a few more
break opportunities ( plus four in the scoring column).

This should keep Heytvelt out of ticky-tacky foul trouble and save him
for stretch runs in the second half. Also he should be freer to roam at times.
Imagine a lineup that featured Foster or Sacre at center, Davis or Daye at PF,
Hetvelt at SF, Downs at SG, and Pargo or Bouldin on point!!!!

Very exciting news-how many teams can start their season being able to
afford looking at a player of Sacre's stature coming off the bench or red-
shirting?

Kuso, Foster, Sacre- Center

Heytvelt, Davis-Center/PF

Daye, Pendo-PF or SF

Downs, Gurgainious-SF

I'm hopeful we can totally avoid the injury bug next year, but realistically,
we can afford for some unfortunate player to go down now.

We actually are thinner at guard:

Pargo, Bouldin-PG

Bouldin, Gray, Brown-SG

Gurgainious or Downs could move over to SG if necessary.

juliezag
04-24-2007, 11:55 PM
follow pmac. he knows whats best.

DenDiegoZag
04-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Will is listed as being 225 on the GoZags.com website.

Bobzag says he's 270 now? Could the website be that far off?

GoZags.com seems like it is updated about once a year just before the start of a new season, so I doubt that GoZags is as up-to-date as we would like it to be. From what I saw when he was down at Pepperdine and USD, he is definatly above 225 now. Look for GoZags.com to get updated info at the end of the summer.

GonzagaGurl08
04-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Gozags.com will be updated at the beginning of the season when the guys are officialy weighed, measured, and have had their official photos taken. If you notice under the stats, its still the same stuff from last year.

lothar98zag
04-25-2007, 10:31 AM
follow pmac. he knows whats best.
huh? :confused:

IrishBulldog
04-25-2007, 09:23 PM
This has me fired up for hoops season already!