Clear All
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

SI's All Decade College Basketball

Gonzaga fairs very well.

Among the highlights.

BEST SMALL-SCHOOL STORY: Gonzaga
    Gonzaga has the third-highest winning percentage of the decade, trailing only Duke and Kansas. The Zags have won their conference all nine years, going undefeated three times and have made 11 consecutive NCAA tournaments, reaching the Sweet 16 five times and the Elite Eight once. Almost any power-conference school would be proud of that profile, but the little team from Spokane, Wash., trumps all the big boys. Normally, when a mid-major makes a run in the NCAA tournament, it crashes back to earth and has to wait a few years before getting back. Even the most prestigious schools have their down years. Not these Zags, who under coach Mark Few have built one of the most remarkable stories in all of sports.
    Birds aren’t real.
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

also

BEST REGULAR-SEASON GAME: Gonzaga 109, Michigan State 103, 3 OT; Nov. 22, 2005
    It was just an early-season game in the quarterfinals of the Maui Invitational, but it was a classic nonetheless. Led by Adam Morrison's 43 points, Gonzaga outlasted the Spartans in a marathon that featured 13 lead changes in the final seven and half minutes of regulation, including four in the final 1:14.
    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• GUZagDenver
      Kennel Club Material
      • Oct 2008

AMMO is also a reserve on the "All Decade" Team.

Comment

• McZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

BEST INDIVIDUAL RIVALRY: J.J. Redick vs. Adam Morrison
        Their teams never played each other, but Duke's Redick and Gonzaga's Morrison waged a scintillating battle from opposite coasts during the 2005-06 season. Morrison edged out Redick for the national scoring title (28.4 ppg to Redick's 27.4), but Redick walked away with the Naismith and Wooden awards. Alas, neither player got what he wanted, which was a chance to play for a national championship. Both of their teams lost in the Sweet 16.
        sigpic
        Gonzaga Basketball
        Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Comment

• McZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I'd vote for Zags/Zona in 2003 Tourney for best post season game. Not biased or anything.

BEST POSTSEASON GAME: Syracuse 127, UConn 117, 6 OT; March 12, 2009
          Coming in the quarterfinals of the 2009 Big East tournament, this was the second-longest game in Division I basketball history, taking 3 hours, 46 minutes to play and ending at 1:22 a.m. The star of the night was Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn, who played all but three minutes, but the game will be most remembered for the 30-foot shot that SU guard Eric Devendorf appeared to have made at the end of regulation to win the game, only to have the referees determine after a lengthy replay review that it had come after the buzzer. Perhaps most remarkable of all, Syracuse never led this game in any of the extra sessions until early in the sixth OT.
          sigpic
          Gonzaga Basketball
          Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Comment

• Pleasant Peninsula
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Mar 2008

The Syracuse/UConn was epic and unbelievable, no doubt. But I just can't buy it as the best postseason game of the decade or even the best game of the year, because it was essentially meaningless. Sure, I suppose you could say the same about an early season game like Michigan State/Gonzaga, but there is a different feel to those early games as opposed to conference tournament games between two teams that will be dancing anyway. I mean, what did the results of that game do for either team? It cost UCONN nothing (still a #1 seed) and maaaaaybe bumped Syracuse from a 4/5 to a #3, but they still lost in the round of 16 (where they would have likely made it anyhow).

I'm sure if Gonzaga were to play in a conference tournament game that was that epic, it would be a rush and I'd be on the edge of my seat throughout, but in the back of my mind, I'd know that there will be more games, of much greater importance, in a week or two. Contrast that with the way we all felt during the Arizona/Gonzaga game, where our hearts were fluttering with every shot, loose ball, whistle, etc, knowing that we were moments away from either an epic upset or a crushing season ending loss.

It's apples and oranges.

Comment

• alaskazagnut

Wow!!!!

What a Decade of Excellence!!

Best small school. Gonzaga: From a lump of coal to pure diamond in 10 years.
              Best regular season game. Gonzaga beats Michigan State in triple OT.
              Best individual rivalry. Morrison vs. Redick for the scoring title.

Very proud to have graduated from Gonzaga in 1995.

Comment

• Robzagnut
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
                The Syracuse/UConn was epic and unbelievable, no doubt. But I just can't buy it as the best postseason game of the decade or even the best game of the year, because it was essentially meaningless. Sure, I suppose you could say the same about an early season game like Michigan State/Gonzaga, but there is a different feel to those early games as opposed to conference tournament games between two teams that will be dancing anyway. I mean, what did the results of that game do for either team? It cost UCONN nothing (still a #1 seed) and maaaaaybe bumped Syracuse from a 4/5 to a #3, but they still lost in the round of 16 (where they would have likely made it anyhow).

I'm sure if Gonzaga were to play in a conference tournament game that was that epic, it would be a rush and I'd be on the edge of my seat throughout, but in the back of my mind, I'd know that there will be more games, of much greater importance, in a week or two. Contrast that with the way we all felt during the Arizona/Gonzaga game, where our hearts were fluttering with every shot, loose ball, whistle, etc, knowing that we were moments away from either an epic upset or a crushing season ending loss.

It's apples and oranges.
                I'm a GU homer like everyone else here, but the Syracuse/UConn game was the best of the decade. I couldn't stop watching. Someone was going to blow it and lose, but they kept stepping up and made play after play. It was a battle of attrition after 3 OTs. Couldn't believe it lasted 6 OTs.

I love watching the Big East and ACC tournaments. Just great basketball. My favorite was the run Syracuse had when they had to win the tourney to get into the NCAA tourney in 06. Gerry McNamera carried that team on his back for 4 games and they beat some great teams.

Comment

• titopoet
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by GUZagDenver View Post
                  AMMO is also a reserve on the "All Decade" Team.
                  I love that Ammo made the list, but three Dookies on the first team and only one gator mentioned, even though the gators won two championships. No Kansas players, No Memphis players (Rose) No Michigan State players.
                  Biased.
                  ----
                  Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I like St. Joes's and everything but last year's North Carolina team and those two championship Florida teams would have beaten the Hawks...and it wouldn't have been close. Don't really understand how they could put St. Joes as the best single season team of the decade...shouldn't that go to a championship team?

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by titopoet View Post
                      I love that Ammo made the list, but three Dookies on the first team and only one gator mentioned, even though the gators won two championships. No Kansas players, No Memphis players (Rose) No Michigan State players.
                      Biased.
                      and the "reason" given for FL is below in Joekim's bio:

The most memorable team acts of the decade were Illinois in 2004-05 and Florida in 2005-07, and their all-time chemistry explains why so few of their individuals are making this All-Decade list.

interesting reasoning. I am not

anyway, all good fun, and I think Wahl nailed it on the head re. what Coach Few, Gonzaga basketball and Spokane have pulled off

that '07 team makes me prouder all the time, how they somehow stepped up and kept it going against all odds.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X