PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bouldin, a concern

BobZag
12-16-2009, 09:02 AM
The last Zag to be bonked on the head and taken out of the game was Blake Stepp in 2004. Blake was never quite the same after that, eventually resulting in the big 2nd-round loss to Nevada.

Folks, we better hope that Matt is not affected as much as Blake was. With Duke, Oklahoma and Illinois on the immediate horizon... Hooo boy.

hooter73
12-16-2009, 09:16 AM
well thank you for that cheery bit of history.

outrunu
12-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Doomed!

NotoriousZ
12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Could this be one of those scenarios when a player is hurt or has the flu and he comes out and has a carreer day?

No, we're probably DOOMED!

GUZagDenver
12-16-2009, 09:33 AM
I think this is a valid point. Few even mrntioned on his podcast with Doug Gottlieb that Matt didn't even remember the rest of the game, or going back to his house after the game. So yes, IMO opinion, without Matt Bouldin, we are doomed.

alaskazagnut
12-16-2009, 09:34 AM
had knee issues at the same time. He had knee issues in high school. I am not aware that Matt has any other problems and is actually in far better shape than Blake Stepp was at the same point in his career. It is true that Blake going 1-13 cost us the game.

Pleasant Peninsula
12-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I remember the knee issues, but I don't remember the head bonking. I do, however, regrettably remember most every one of Blake's three-pointers bonking off the rim in Seattle that horrid afternoon versus Nevada.

GonzagaLove
12-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Matt will be fine. People come back sooner with open heart surgery. I understand the concern, but he will be on the court Saturday.

LynetteG
12-16-2009, 10:19 AM
latest tweet from Matty

Gettin j's up in mccarthey.
28 minutes ago from UberTwitter

Angelo Roncalli
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Here's your chance, WhoHoo:

SAN BRUNO, Calif. (December 16, 2009 – http://www.gozags.com) – Gonzaga University senior men’s basketball guard Matt Bouldin will be one of the featured guests on WCC Live tonight (Wednesday) which airs over the internet from 8-9 p.m. PST.

Fans can participate to ask the guests questions by calling the listener line at 646-378-1311 or emailing questions to wcclive@ymail.com, which can also be done ahead of time. To listen to the show live just go to www.blogtalkradio.com/wccsports.

Bouldin and the 15th-ranked Bulldogs will head to New York to face 7th-ranked Duke University Saturday at 1 p.m. PST in a game to be televised by CBS. Veteran announcers Verne Lundquist and Clark Kellogg will call the action.

Bouldin will be joined on the show by Saint Mary’s College men’s basketball coach Randy Bennett and Ben Allen of the Gaels, women’s basketball coach Jim Sollars of the University of Portland and University of San Francisco women’s basketball coach Tanya Haave and player Donnisha Taylor.

ronh_pm
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm was just kind of hoping he makes it through finals.

rijman
12-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Fans can participate to ask the guests questions by calling the listener line at 646-378-1311 or emailing questions to wcclive@ymail.com, which can also be done ahead of time. To listen to the show live just go to www.blogtalkradio.com/wccsports.

Thanks for the info. I emailed my question about Bouldin, the obvious question we all want answered, where can we pick up his Christmas cd? ;)

ZAGSBball15
12-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I think this is a valid point. Few even mrntioned on his podcast with Doug Gottlieb that Matt didn't even remember the rest of the game, or going back to his house after the game. So yes, IMO opinion, without Matt Bouldin, we are doomed.

c'mon, people! did none of u c the game vs. Davidson? we were still balanced on offense, and we weren't bad on defense.

now suddenly we're DOOMED becuz Matt may or may not be out!? i may LOVE Matt Bouldin, but this season's team still has the ability to be intimidating and skilled w/ or w/o him...

but plz, PRAY he's in on Saturday!!!

UberZagFan
12-16-2009, 02:55 PM
This comparison and "concern" is a bit premature. Or actually, a lot premature.

BobZag
12-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Just sayin'. The brain takes a while. I hope Matt comes out strong as ever. Duke will try to take him out of the game like they did Raivio. Matt will have to play a good, strong game. Hoping he's up to it. Duke is a legit #7 team in the country, not a UW-like pretender.

Rangerzag
12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I had also remembered the bonk Blake took in the noggin. It did seem to keep him from making his shots in the big game.

Hope Matty is all up to snuff for Saturday.

Pleasant Peninsula
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
This comparison and "concern" is a bit premature. Or actually, a lot premature.

I agree. And furthermore, any attempts to try to link, as a cause and effect, Blake's "head bonk" and his subsequent off games, that led to Gonzaga's premature departure from the tournament, is highly speculative at best, a silly WAG at worst.

But the point that head injuries can linger and the symptoms mysterious is a valid one.

ID ZAGFAN
12-17-2009, 08:10 AM
hopes to play.

Link to Jim Meehan's article in today's paper.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/dec/17/bouldin-hopes-to-play/

ID ZAGFAN

bballbeachbum
12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4746679

timely news, with Matt's deal...glad to see concussions being taken much more seriously than in the past, and glad to hear Matt is feeling a lot better

Still, concussions are tricky, with latent symptoms and that weird feeling of not knowing what happened. Those of you who have suffered one know. Remember that foggy feeling? or, maybe you don't :D it's just not black and white.

And it doesn't mean Matt won't go off on Coach K's squad anyway!

ZAGSBball15
12-17-2009, 09:12 AM
i really hope he plays 2! he better...we need 2 have him 2 strengthen the offense...

and defense... :)

LynetteG
12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
NO NEED TO WORRY!!!!!

tweets:

Grant Gibbs:
practice in the morn then off to NYC to take on the dukies, much love to brothers (about 10 hours ago from web)

Matty:
I'm so official all I need is a whistle.
(about 14 hours ago from UberTwitter)

ZagManFan
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
NO NEED TO WORRY!!!!!

tweets:

Grant Gibbs:
practice in the morn then off to NYC to take on the dukies, much love to brothers (about 10 hours ago from web)

Matty:
I'm so official all I need is a whistle.
(about 14 hours ago from UberTwitter)

That's all I need.

LynetteG
12-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I am concerned Matt will take Taylor Swift away from me :D

funny you say that because he tweeted her happy birthday the other day, hehe.

NotoriousZ
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Just sayin'. The brain takes a while. I hope Matt comes out strong as ever. Duke will try to take him out of the game like they did Raivio. Matt will have to play a good, strong game. Hoping he's up to it. Duke is a legit #7 team in the country, not a UW-like pretender.

Those are some harsh words for our friends in Seattle, Bob. The highest ranks that they were pretending to deserve were #10 in the coaches poll and #12 in the AP. Reality started crashing in after week 3.
:roll:

ZagsGoZags
12-17-2009, 09:47 PM
"Friends in Seattle?" what about Chicken Romar?
Yes the UW players, who would play us, are our friends.
Yes the UW fans, who would like to see the rivalry return, are our friends.
But what about the 'leader' who has lost both of his __ alls ?

outrunu
12-17-2009, 10:00 PM
"Friends in Seattle?" what about Chicken Romar?
Yes the UW players, who would play us, are our friends.
Yes the UW fans, who would like to see the rivalry return, are our friends.
But what about the 'leader' who has lost both of his __ alls ?

One cannot lose what one has never had.

gamagin
12-18-2009, 07:39 AM
and woke up married. Lesson:a concussion can last longer than one might think.