PDA

View Full Version : The Pick and Roll

BobZag
12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
I have to believe Few & Co. have not yet installed this play because, imho, it would sure seem to fit Meech-Sacre or Meech-Harris. For that matter, Bouldin-Sacre and Bouldin-Harris.

I think the ol' Pick and Roll could really make some hay with this group.

Thoughts?

GoZags
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Baby steps, with all the new guys.

Zags are learning to walk before they learn to run.

FuManShoes
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
I thought they had been running the pick and roll with Sacre and Gray.

BobZag
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Duke will try to swarm Matt. It would make good sense for all the guards to be working on this. Make Duke pay. Just a thought.

JPtheBeasta
12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
In some of the games in which the Zags struggled, the defense was hedging the high screens so well that our guys were pushed way back towards the half court line. By the time Matt or Gray got out of the double they weren't in a position on the floor to make the defense pay for it.

Meech is so fast he may even be able to turn the corner before the hedge defender even gets there:)

I love the pick-and-roll, and even more so after it came up big in the Cincinnati game...

Just A Zag
12-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I remember one of the announcers in Maui saying that Bouldin didn't seem quick enough to make the pick and roll work properly. I don't see how he's not quick enough but I could be missing something that a person with a higher basketball IQ could understand.

gamagin
12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
& hope to see more.

I like it better than the weave we run atop the key and basically keep the ball moving and hope for an opening.

The P & R is an attempt to drive towards the basket and lends itself more to our new inside game effort, imo.

GG, EH, KO, MB & SG have all shown signs of trying a sort of pick and roll at times.

The best, most savvy effort I've seen was between Sg & MB. KO has been passing pretty well too after drawing attention.

RS does a pretty good job of setting a pick, but so far I haven't seen what I'd consider a concerted effort to get it back to him -- largely because 1-2 opponents tend to collapse on him or the pass over the top seems to risky to some.

So we settle for a safer pass, or go back to the weave, apparently letting the effort breakdown in favor of a seemingly safer pass.

I do think it could become a staple for getting the ball inside, however, and the sooner we get going on it, the better.

Go TEAM Zags !

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Teams are really getting in Bouldin's face when he he uses a screen off the dribble.
With Meech, teams are just sagging/switching and daring him to shoot it. Anybody else notice Meech hasn't really hit jumpers off the dribble this year? Most of threes he has had have been kickouts or on a swing or skip pass.
I think Gray should exploit his reputation as a pure shooter and drive hard to the basket on the pick and roll, at least while he is getting the second and third best defenders assigned to him.
In short, I think Bouldin and Gray should use the pick and roll (or pick and pop, if its with Harris) depending on who has the most favorable match-up.

Reborn
12-14-2009, 06:05 PM
They've been running the pick and roll for some time now. When you see Sacre and even Olynyk getting dunks, it's off the pick and roll.

MickMick
12-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I have seen KO use it effectively. Maybe that is one of many reasons why he is first guy off the bench.

VinnyZag
12-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Gray and Sacre ran a pick-and-roll on one of the key plays of the Cincinnati game, if I recall correctly.

everybodycougsit
12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
The guards could really perfect it with some good tips from #12. There is got to be some tricks he learned over the years.
There is not one play that represents his career and what he was all about as a player(creating points for his teammates).

CDC84
12-15-2009, 08:21 AM

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/6/63/Toothpick.jpg

and

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_brown_roll1.jpg

Rbo
12-15-2009, 08:23 AM
I think KO has a huge pick and roll upside. He's been setting some solid picks (better than I ever recall Daye setting) and he's a big target once he begins rolling to the basket.

ID ZAGFAN
12-15-2009, 08:34 AM

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/6/63/Toothpick.jpg

and

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_brown_roll1.jpg

:lmao:
ID ZAGFAN

Nevtelen
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I think KO has a huge pick and roll upside. He's been setting some solid picks (better than I ever recall Daye setting) and he's a big target once he begins rolling to the basket.

Wasn't he a great shooter in HS, too? You'd have to think that once he gets more comfortable we could start running a very effective pick-and-pop with Olynyk, too. We could do the same with Harris, I'm sure, but, honestly, even if Harris can hit the jumper in that case, I'd probably prefer him rolling to the hoop becase, well, he can. Against just about anyone.

bballbeachbum
12-16-2009, 04:11 PM
google pick and roll...man, this stuff was not around back when! but I digress...anyway, lots said about it

IMHO, the timing, the chemistry, the understanding between the players when to execute what, the craftiness...is it there? Matchups can dictate it, too, like with Shaq for example, other teams like to make him defend it.

fun thinking about this one. nice to have players who understand the patience part, the setting up your man part; remember Mendez-Valzez' game? it's really not just pick and roll, it's a two man game and the pick and roll is part of that...Ammo and JP comes to mind, so does Bradley and DeBusschere. Can I get a Stockton and Malone? and everyone be open weakside and crash glass!

anyway, when they jump Matt or whoever, then patience and strong with the ball aggression to find the release (maybe back to pick setter on pop?) or split them with the dribble or pass, or go the other way from the pick as both defenders look to jump you on the other side...some examples of counters; then the D is scrambling; also, how about Elias as the pick man? Also, if during practice guys are doing it, that's probably who we are seeing executing it on the floor, those mentioned in previous posts

defending the pick and roll is as big a deal as executing it offensively and is definitely a 5 man operation--on ball toughness and weakside awareness means steals and blocks and muddled plays. if not, you get the US Men's Olympic Bronze Medal team of 2004.

Coach K fixed that, among other things, and I am forever grateful, as is Team USA! MUCH RESPECT Coach K, but it's your butt this weekend!!!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

MDABE80
12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
We have enough talent to do thison either side...high or low. I'd say let's

use it. It's such a basic play but with the talent we have, it's sure to produce

tons of points and control the ball.

everybodycougsit
12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Why do people say IMHO? Like they're trying to earn points for being a good guy. Nobody has a humble opinion on a message board. Every time you post your asking someone to listen to you.

ID ZAGFAN
12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Why do people say IMHO? Like they're trying to earn points for being a good guy. Nobody has a humble opinion on a message board. Every time you post your asking someone to listen to you.

they could mean "In my honest opinion"! :D

ID ZAGFAN

kitzbuel
12-16-2009, 06:33 PM

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/FACETIOUS

gamagin
12-16-2009, 06:34 PM

IMHO

ID ZAGFAN
12-16-2009, 06:41 PM

is "IMO I think". In who else's opinion would you think? :o

ID ZAGFAN

everybodycougsit
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/FACETIOUS

fair enough, but even worse is the pedantic posters:)

bballbeachbum
12-16-2009, 07:15 PM
fair enough, but even worse is the pedantic posters:)

fair enough indeed. please excuse my pedantry

Xin Loi 67
12-17-2009, 05:50 AM
people with French backgrounds tend to use thoes fancy terms cloaked as letters. Letters like RSVP & IMHO and my knowing what they ment, put me in that rare strata of individuals able to navigate through that French influence in our lives. I thought!

Now I like it less than when I thought it was caused by the French. Just say, what's on your mind and try not to hurt anyone.