12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
One of them, anyway
http://duke.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1021&fid=1690

tinfoilzag
12-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Great post in there FuMan.

Here is a post from another thread on their boards to get you fired up:

"Re: Roll Call: Duke vs. Zags game NYC Reply

I'll be going. I'm not to worried, but if we play our C game we will lose. I'm looking forward to seeing G.J. Vilarino, the PG Uk would of had instead of Wall if BCG wasn't fired."

Apparently we won't be able to handle their "B" game.

rawkmandale
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
FuMan, I am glad you didn't mention our new secret weapon - Grant Gibbs - who has a "Duke-like" game. He should be able to be used defensively against their tall perimeter people, and carve them up like a hot knife with his passing. Let's keep that just between ourselves!

FuManShoes
12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I started getting carpal tunnel on that scouting report and left a few guys off. Sorry Grant and Will .. and GJ. The point is the Zags are quite deep and Dookies best be wary, because really any combination of Zags could hurt them. Oh how I wish for a good shooting night that relieves pressure and leads to a nice win.

HillBillyZag
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Great job Fu.

ZagNative
12-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I think the link to the Scout board, The Devil's Den (TDD) (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=5292418) has already been posted, but it's kind of fun, especially the last post currently up:
Posted: Today 4:08 PM
RE: Gonzaga vs Davidson - Elias Harris

Zoubek vs Foster? Will their duels become legend?

drew6236
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
www.dukebasketballreport.com is a good board.

rawkmandale
12-15-2009, 10:55 AM
The Duke fans aren't exactly "looking ahead" to the GU game on Saturday - not much GU discussion on these boards at all.

zagzealot
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
www.dukebasketballreport.com is a good board.

I love this quote on the Duke board:

"Duke is the best at saying mean things and talking about my country. The good thing is, (a lot of them) say it in Spanish, so I can understand what they're saying pretty well. And they do their research, because they know everything that's going on in my country right now. They will know it, and they will make fun of it. In Spanish. So I think that's funny, that's interesting, I like that."
Greivis Vasquez On Duke

Fuel for the Kennel Club to keep being 'creative' :)

FuManShoes
12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
No doubt, they seem more concerned with Roy Williams and John Wall than the Zags. But I did see an interesting therad on Singler tweaking his ankle over the weekend.

http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=136779637&mid=136779637&sid=1021&style=2

CDC84
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Smith and Zoubek are also nursuing mild injuries.

Andre Dawkins returns tonight.

DADoZAG
12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
What is scary is Scheyer numbers at the half.

Steven Gray is the answer.

+1

ZAGS can beat this Duke team. They match up very will with what I'm seeing.

Go ZAGS!

oregongufan
12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
It's too bad that Duke only has five players it can play. It is important to get their averages up.

portlandzag
12-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I thought that was strange too. I don't watch enough Duke games to know if that's typical. I'd be peeved if Few did that unless it was a big rivalry game or perhaps UCLA in the tourney.

DADoZAG
12-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Poor G. Webb. I notice that coach K does not believe in mercy by playing the bench.

Perhaps we're looking at this the wrong way. We all know that Duke Basketball is one of the nation's elite programs, it's not about everyone getting playing time. Besides, the box score shows that the bench got over a third of the game minutes with a nine man rotation, and the bench scored a third of the points.

Coach K, love him or hate him, is a great coach. I didn't watch the game after I made my post above, but my take is that Duke was running different sets, working on the spacing, timing the screens, etc. This was a warm up game in preparation for the ZAGS for Dukes main players after a long layoff, not to develop next year’s players.

I'd love to see the ZAGS do this a bit more. There are a few WCC games that should give Coach Few a similar opportunity. It's not running up the score, it's not bad sportsmanship. It's about developing your main players and preparing for a deep run in the NCAA tourney. That’s what elite programs do, and any team that plays them better be ready for 40 minutes.

This will be a tough game for the ZAGS, but a game they have what it takes to win if they bring it all, and are as prepared for Duke… as Duke will be for them.

Go ZAGS! BEAT DUKE!

Reborn
12-16-2009, 08:39 AM
My guess on why Coach K kept the starters in so long was that he was trying to heal the wounds from their loss to Wisconsin. Duke has pretty big EGOS. I imagine his strategy worked. I think back to the last team that I saw do that...Washington State in Alaska. They lost their next game.

rawkmandale
12-16-2009, 11:23 PM
bump-tee-bump. One of these days, these boards will start to "talk Zag."

NovaZag
12-17-2009, 06:59 AM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18453

Here we go!

FuManShoes
12-17-2009, 07:11 AM
"No significant matchup problems." Is that dude insane? I'd log in and respond but they require you spell Coach K's name and apparently it isn't "R-A-T F-A-C-E."

Open question: If you could swap a Duke player for a Zag, who would it be and why?

BroncoZAG615
12-17-2009, 07:16 AM
"No significant matchup problems." Is that dude insane? I'd log in and respond but they require you spell Coach K's name and apparently it isn't "R-A-T F-A-C-E."

Open question: If you could swap a Duke player for a Zag, who would it be and why?

Kyle Singler for Andy Poling and Jon Scheyer for P-Maag.

And I'd throw in Miles Plumlee for Foster.

gozagswoohoo
12-17-2009, 07:48 AM

LOOOOLL!!! :lmao: :lmao:

I would probably go with that too.

FuManShoes
12-17-2009, 09:07 AM

OK, OK, let me rephrase that: Comparing the Zags top 8 with Duke's top 8, who would you swap and why? Some of these matchups are quite intriguing and tough to evaluate. Is it Scheyer vs Bouldin and Gray vs Singler or Meech vs Scheyer, Bouldin vs Singler and Gray vs Thomas? Do we value speed and defense at point over size and offensive prowess? Are their bigs better than ours or just deeper? Unlike the true blue Dookie I like several of our players over their players but much of the tallent is comparable. They have us at depth and experience, but I think we have them at athleticism. Should be a great game and not an easy win for either side.

bballbeachbum
12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
A more realistic view of the game by most in this thread.

http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=136881125&mid=136881125&sid=1021&style=2

soooo great to hear opposing fans saying and understanding that we play tough D, and that we are a physical team!!! wow, that's cool.

on a lighter note, they have too many pedantic posters...always saying IMO, my opinion, and stuff like that ;)

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

zagfan07
12-17-2009, 09:49 AM
OK, OK, let me rephrase that: Comparing the Zags top 8 with Duke's top 8, who would you swap and why? Some of these matchups are quite intriguing and tough to evaluate. Is it Scheyer vs Bouldin and Gray vs Singler or Meech vs Scheyer, Bouldin vs Singler and Gray vs Thomas? Do we value speed and defense at point over size and offensive prowess? Are their bigs better than ours or just deeper? Unlike the true blue Dookie I like several of our players over their players but much of the tallent is comparable. They have us at depth and experience, but I think we have them at athleticism. Should be a great game and not an easy win for either side.

I would think you'll see Meech on Nolan Smith, Gray on Scheyer and Bouldin on Singler.

Bouldin may be a few inches shorter than Singler, but he's got the extra muscle to hang with him in the post.

Gray will be set with the task of pressuring Scheyer on the ball and forcing him to drive the middle, similar to what you saw against Thompson from WSU.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Elias battle Miles Plumlee. It'll be interesting to see if he can draw him away from the basket on the offensive end and use his slashing ability to get to the rim. I think he's shown that he can knock down the outside shot, so Plumlee's going to have to come out and guard him.

bballbeachbum
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I would think you'll see Meech on Nolan Smith, Gray on Scheyer and Bouldin on Singler.

Bouldin may be a few inches shorter than Singler, but he's got the extra muscle to hang with him in the post.

Gray will be set with the task of pressuring Scheyer on the ball and forcing him to drive the middle, similar to what you saw against Thompson from WSU.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Elias battle Miles Plumlee. It'll be interesting to see if he can draw him away from the basket on the offensive end and use his slashing ability to get to the rim. I think he's shown that he can knock down the outside shot, so Plumlee's going to have to come out and guard him.

yeah, space the floor and spread them out, bring their bigs out, open the lane and make defending the dribble vs anyone that much harder for them, no-post O, another way to get points in the paint if it's there or kick to open guys after D collapses...when RS and Will are not out there?

and did I read somewhere they've played some zone too? wow. never too old to learn new tricks Coach K. anyone know if they play it well?

johno
12-17-2009, 11:50 AM
soooo great to hear opposing fans saying and understanding that we play tough D, and that we are a physical team!!! wow, that's cool.

on a lighter note, they have too many pedantic posters...always saying IMO, my opinion, and stuff like that ;)

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Looks like Harris could be a big surprise for Duke fans.

titopoet
12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
The Duke fans aren't exactly "looking ahead" to the GU game on Saturday - not much GU discussion on these boards at all.

I had to go back and just to see. They said hardly anything about Wisconsin either, until after they were exposed. After the game they threw everyone under the bus except Dawkins. Looking at their history, they seem more concern with the Tarheels than any opponents. No credit was given to badgers, even though the pretty much controlled the game.

thespywhozaggedme
12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Post #11 in the 1st thread:

, Elias Harris, got thrown out in the 1st half for throwing a forearm into Chas MacFarland's neck (come on, who hasn't wanted to do that?) :lmao: :lmao:

john montana
12-17-2009, 10:44 PM
A post from DBR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireOgilvie
Scheyer is absolutely better than Bouldin.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I love Jon as a player -- how could you not? -- but there's nothing that he can do that Bouldin can't. And Bouldin is stronger.

There's a chance Bouldin won't play in this game because he became concussed two games ago and missed Gonzaga's previous game, but if his noggin is right, I can't wait to play him and see how we defend him. He's too strong for Nolan and Jon; he'd just take them to the post and work them. I think the best defensive matchups will be to put Singler on Bouldin, have Jon chase Gray, and put Nolan on Goodson with an eye on playing off and helping since Goodson isn't a great shooter.

Quote:
Singler is also better than everyone on Gonzaga's team (I think we can all agree with this).

Nope, we part ways here as well.

I would rank the top 10 players on the court like this:

1) Bouldin (again, hopefully his head isn't screwed up)
2) Scheyer
3) Singler
4) Harris
5) Gray
6) Sacre
7) Nolan
8) Dawkins
9) Goodson
10) Lance

I think Singler will eventually develop into a consistent All American player this season but he's not there yet.

Quote:
I honestly haven't paid that much attention to them this year

See, that's the thing. You'd have to have watched them this season to understand. This is a serious, serious basketball team. Don't be misled by the loss to Wake Forest where Harris was ejected in the first half. Every team plays a stinker here and there. Duke will, too. But on average, this Duke-Gonzaga game is going to be an Elite 8 quality game.

Pretty good comments from one of the mods (troublemaker). I'm not sure I agree with him (I think singler is their best all around player, and singler/bouldin...tough call) but interesting comments overall. Most of the Duke fanbase seems to be treating this as a given win for them, but the fans that watch any games that are on past 10pm east coast time seem to see this matchup a little differently.

I can't wait. When we played a few seasons i was screaming at ESPN as the first half drained away with no game. I just hope this time I get to see the full game, that it becomes and instant classic and that GU pulls out the win. Only time this year I'll root against duke...unless we play in the tournament of course!

rawkmandale
12-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Let's bump this up, so we can keep an eye on what those crafty BD fans are sayin'

One of the most relevant threads:

Here's another (not quite as intresting as of yet):

http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=136970086&mid=136970086&sid=1021&style=2