PDA

View Full Version : How much would it mean to beat Duke?

FuManShoes
12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
well?

TexasZagFan
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
well?

I voted "nice"...it's #21 vs #7. I'm looking for Meech to take better care of the ball and make better decisions. He piled up some nice stats against Davidson, but that charging foul with 1:35 was stupid!

As another poster stated, Vilarino's a year away...he needs to make the transition from dominant HS point guard/leading scorer, to a major college point guard who's responsible for running the offense and distributing the ball.

It'll be a good experience for all: the opponent, the venue, etc.

BobZag
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
It would be big, imo. It would put a stamp on the ooc schedule.

FuManShoes
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I went with HUGE! Maybe that means I don't think we're at Duke's level and so beating them would be a huge notch in the belt. Duke is a fixture, a legend in the annals of college basketball. Coach K is up there with Roy Williams and Izzo as one of the greatest active coaches. And though Few has a winning percentage that puts him in that company, he is still seen by some - some - as a midmajor freak, not an elite succes (though that voice has thankfully muted a bit in recent years). For Few to take a young squad to New York and knock off what appears to be a quite good Duke squad -- possibly better than the squad GU lost to a few years ago -- would be huge, and I'm having trouble thinking of a bigger win in recent years, even some of the NCAA Tourney games. Wins in the Dance are of course huge because they put you in rarer and rarer company, but years after one you don't look back and say, remember that time the Zags took down Indiana to reach teh Sweet 16? No, but we sure as hell would be talking about the time we beat Duke at MSG and the nation got to see what an amazing program Gonzaga is and will be for years to come. Go Zags. Dance with the devil, then step on his throat (in a non-flagrant manner, of course).

PLUS - I work with some Duke alum and really need to be ale to hold this over them. "Your boys got Meech and Kong'd"

zagthunder
12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
My mother went to Duke, my brother did his graduate work at Duke, my dad was a college classmate of Coach K's, my brother went to the same undergrad as Coach K, my aunt went to Duke, multiple cousins went to Duke, now another Dukie is about to join the family as an 'in law' -- if there is a Santa Claus, please bring me a "W" over Duke this coming Saturday!

I was the smart one -- I went to GONZAGA!!

GO ZAGS!!!!

NovaZag
12-13-2009, 10:24 PM
It would be a big win. We would have a win over a top ten team, but also against one of the so called "elite" programs.

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-14-2009, 01:51 AM
I say BIG. But I'm not sure what the NBCAA tourney is. Am I missing something or is this a typo?

titopoet
12-14-2009, 05:34 AM
I say it is big to nice win. Duke is still Duke, though next year this would be a bigger win. Duke being so weak in the backcourt, its glaring weakness. Smith and Scheyer could not break into GU's starting lineup. If GU attacks the guards from opening tip, they will do okay. Duke, in last few games, have shown a weakness for quick guards both on the offensive and defensive end. This could a game Meech dominates, though Gray and Matt should be able to abuse either Smith or Scheyer as well. Our frontcourt has the ability to keep up with their bigs. If they stay out of foul trouble, it could be a long night for Duke.

LongIslandZagFan
12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Big win... but in the end not nearly as big as beating a higher seeded team in the NCAA tourney.

Xin Loi 67
12-14-2009, 06:12 AM
I just want us to treat them bad and feel good about it. Gloves off, game on, push them around. Gritty scrappy play will win. Rebound and win.

RenoZag
12-14-2009, 06:14 AM
PLUS - I work with some Duke alum and really need to be ale to hold this over them. "Your boys got Meech and Kong'd"

:clap:

There are still three tough OOC games to play after the Dookies; if GU wins all three, then the Duke pelt looks pretty good alongside the rest. Should the Zags falter in Chi-town, Memphis, or (God forbid) Spokane on New Year's Eve, a win over Dook still looks good but won't have the same shine.

GU's non-conference schedule (and the results thus far ) have been very impressive.

Reborn
12-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Somewhere between Big and Huge..very big! :D
Duke is Duke. Coach K is Coach K. I think it's pretty big for any team to beat them. And its the same way people feel about Gonzahga. :D
I think Duke and Gonzaga are a lot alike, in that everyone wants to beat them. I recall how excited Michigan State was to play us, especially on their home court where they have a decided advantage.

I think that for this year it's a very big win because Duke is a top 10 team. We lost to Michigan St on the road by a slim margin and a victory over Duke could catipult the Zags into the top 10. I'd say that's pretty BIG for a team who was ranked in the mid-30's to 40's in the preseason polls. We also got a very poor loss to Wake Forest at home, a game we should have won if Harris hadn't gotten EJECTED. Maybe that loss to Wake will make the Zags even hungrier to upset Duke. I HOPE so.

75Zag
12-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Illinois and Oklahoma are not looking particularly strong early so this may be GU's final chance of the year to beat a nationally significant team on national TV. A strong win over Duke at the Garden could be very important to the selection committee.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

gamagin
12-14-2009, 07:06 AM
implode when we beat them. I like our chances, too. alot.

Go TEAM Zags !

McZag
12-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Definately HUGE.

Many fans across the country still view Coach K as one of the very best coaches in the college game today and some would argue one of the top 10 all-time.

I don't necessarily agree with this but percpetion is reality, ala Billy Packer whom thankfully is retired and will not be available for comment on Saturday, and as long as K is in the game there will be an aura about him.

Beating him in NYC-not on our home court like Wisconsin did-in MSG, in the backyard of many Duke alums would make a very strong case for our Zags this year and wonders for our recruiting and future MSG TV deals.

The fact that its an OCC game and Duke appears weaker than in previous years is irrelevant. Its Duke, they are ranked in the Top 10, the college basketball world still has them on a pedestal and Gonzaga is still below looking up.

Until we beat the Duke's and Kansas' of the world in the NCAA tournament we will not be in the elite conversation. Doing it on Saturday like we did to UNC in 2005 will be another step toward that goal.

ZagManFan
12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I didn't vote because you forgot an option.....

Just an East Coast Fusky, what's the difference?

MDABE80
12-14-2009, 08:48 AM
We need 5 Harris players to beat them. THEY play SO hard every play. Big win this year if Zags win in MSG...on national TV. DUke's strong...not so much if it was last year. The present Duke team, with some luck could be an E 8 unit...

Kiddwell
12-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Beating Duke (aka Dook, the Dookies, Devil Dooks, & Dookie V's Team*) would be/will be GU's signature win going into the Big Dance.

:]

*A moniker greatly inferior to "America's Team" (aka "BasketballTown, USA").